Anyone superstitious? (1 Viewer)

No
200409210444110.gatto.gif

no. once... before I grew some logic. I used to be extremely superstitious. waving at magpies and all that shit. I still won't walk under a ladder though, but that's because I don't want to run the (admittedly negligible) risk of getting poleaxed by a falling paint can.

This topic came up in work just yesterday, weird. I'm not even remotely superstitious. If I walk round rather than under a ladder it would be out of convenience or safety considerations. One of my colleagues has a thing for magpies, if she sees one then she stands at the window until she sees a second.

Does anyone here have anything weird about numbers? I've only recently found out about this.

Alarms, volume settings and things having to have a certain final number. Someone I know always has to have the volume at a 5 or a 0 for example, another will only set the alarm at quarter hour intervals.

I suppose these could be normal enough, but what changes something from an eccentricity to a superstition is the attachment of meaning or consequences.

Alarms, volume settings and things having to have a certain final number. Someone I know always has to have the volume at a 5 or a 0 for example, another will only set the alarm at quarter hour intervals.

A friend of mine has to have the volume on the TV at an even number. If it's not, she can't settle and watch the TV.

A friend of mine has to have the volume on the TV at an even number. If it's not, she can't settle and watch the TV.

See, I find that fascinating. The 5 or 0 one really gets me, does that mean that sometimes it will be either just a bit too loud or a bit too quiet just so the number is right?

In the cases I mentioned they actually think something terrible will happen, or that they'll have bad luck, if the numbers are wrong.

And how is it just volume? Why not channels too? Imagine only watching even number channels. And what if someone set it up so that Channel 4, BBC 2, RTE 2 etc. were tuned into odd numbers and the odd number stations were tuned into even numbers?

is it a mild form of OCD or superstition though?

I have all sorts of balancing games going on in my mind when watching TV but there's nothing superstitious about it.

When I'm watching football on the box and I'm nervous about the outcome, if for example I had my chin leaning on my left hand when a goal was scored, I'll leave it like that in case moving it creates some sort of massive Dublin-Manchester leyline of bad luck and they'll lose their lead...

Sensible? Not at all... I know theres no logic to it but do it anyway. Am I a mentalist?

I don't think I'm particularly superstitious and if anything, i normally have really good luck on Friday the13th, but my dad hates saturday the 14th, he wont even drive incase something happens.

When I'm watching football on the box and I'm nervous about the outcome, if for example I had my chin leaning on my left hand when a goal was scored, I'll leave it like that in case moving it creates some sort of massive Dublin-Manchester leyline of bad luck and they'll lose their lead...

Sensible? Not at all... I know theres no logic to it but do it anyway. Am I a mentalist?

Yeah, like whenever I'm watching Ireland I have to spend every match screaming "COME ON YOU PACK OF FUCKING IDIOTS!" for fear that if I stop they'll lose all of a sudden.
And look, it's working too!

as good a time as any for the sage words of Sheba

Throw away almanacs, signs of the Zodiac Then there is sense to be found They are celestial, we are terrestrial Let's keep our feet on the ground Don't let the planets take control of our lives Believe in the truth and not celestial lies

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back