anyone into stuff on matinee records? (1 Viewer)

rampz

just listnen to some of my old sarah 7"s and i put on this matinee compilation that old gave me a good while ago. its twee janglepop, my fave, but by bands of the now. just wondering if anyone else has heard anything off this label.

ramps said:
just listnen to some of my old sarah 7"s and i put on this matinee compilation that old gave me a good while ago. its twee janglepop, my fave, but by bands of the now. just wondering if anyone else has heard anything off this label.

just on the same subject,i just checked, shinkansen records still exists although has no plans to release anything for a while.

blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

Recent potrait of ramps:

crisp1.jpg

crumb said:
lucksmiths, maths & physic club, tender trap (amelia fletcher) are good, don't know too much about the others.

did you see tender trap when they were marine research at whelans circa 2001? it was really good. also, tender trap supported magnetic fields in the olympia round 2002.

i was never lucky enough to catch heavenly or tallulah gosh.

ramps said:
did you see tender trap when they were marine research at whelans circa 2001? it was really good. also, tender trap supported magnetic fields in the olympia round 2002.

i was never lucky enough to catch heavenly or tallulah gosh.

yes i saw marine research in whelans, missed the magnetic fields gig.

heavenly were great in barnstomers. the nicest band to play a hope gig! i think niall mc guirk has the gig on tape.

crumb said:
yes i saw marine research in whelans, missed the magnetic fields gig.

heavenly were great in barnstomers. the nicest band to play a hope gig! i think niall mc guirk has the gig on tape.

your band is slightly reminiscent of this kind of thing isnt it?

ramps said:
your band is slightly reminiscent of this kind of thing isnt it?

you should have said 'moody feckin shoe gazing teenagers who won't grow up or cheer up'

so that means yes i suppose!

hey paulette split up because two of us wanted to speed it up and the other two wanted to slow it down, so we were more reminiscent of bucks fizz!

make your own mind up

crumb said:
you should have said 'moody feckin shoe gazing teenagers who won't grow up or cheer up'

so that means yes i suppose!

hey paulette split up because two of us wanted to speed it up and the other two wanted to slow it down, so we were more reminiscent of bucks fizz!

make your own mind up

ive seen both crumb and hey paulette recently, although i had to leave the hub before youse were finished. anyway, i liked both. i never really knew any hey paulette stuff back in the day. i never used to pay much attention to irish bands, i never thought anyone would be doing jangly stuff to my own specifications. this in retrospect is a pity cos it looks like i missed out on youse. actually, i quite liked the harvest ministers, probably only cos they got signed to sarah.

Love some of the stuff on Matinee, although it can be hit and miss, depending on how saccherine you like your pop. What comp do you have? If it's Matinee 50, that's a decent one. Matinee bands covering Matinee artists songs. Emmanuelle Beart as performed by the Melodie Group is one of the best pop songs of recent times. A lot of the british stuff on Matinee is licenced from other labels (especially, it seems, Fortuna Pop). There's a lot of the former stars of the c86-and-inspired-bands in their ranks (the aforementioned Tender Trap, Sportique have some razorcuts/TVPs and amelia F again, Pam Berry from loads of US bands in the Pines,.. um, other stuff too.. Rereleases of stuff like the Siddeleys). I suppose the Lucksmiths are probably my favourite of all the Matinee bands.

On the subject of jangly irish bands, I really love the Crumb album. I completely missed out on Hey Paulette - I have a song on a compilation album from a few years ago that I love. Did I read somewhere that there's a compilation of their stuff being released on Firestation Towers or something? Look forward to hearing some more. Another (Northern) irish band making waves with the indiepoppers are Language Of Flowers. Their album from last year is pretty good in a Heavenly vein.

jack nance hair said:
. I completely missed out on Hey Paulette - I have a song on a compilation album from a few years ago that I love. Did I read somewhere that there's a compilation of their stuff being released on Firestation Towers or something? Look forward to hearing some more. Another (Northern) irish band making waves with the indiepoppers are Language Of Flowers. Their album from last year is pretty good in a Heavenly vein.

yes, firestation towers are releasing our debut album 'long ball into nowhere' later in the year. 17 tracks containing our singles, peel session, other stuff and a video. it is all very bizarre but nice all the same.

i must check out language of flowers.

thanks

nlgbbbblth said:
I saw Marine Research in Whelans. pretty good.
The Heavenly gig in Barnstormers was ace.

The Tender Trap album I have (Film Molecules) is on Fortuna Pop. Didn't know they supported the Magnetic Fields.

yeah. we just missed them. i thought amelia might do her duet with meriit off the 6ths album. as it happens, me and the missus sat in the bar cos mag fields were so boring.

jack nance hair said:
Cover of a Lucksmiths song. From their Happy Secret album/collection.

so do you like the field mice etc?

ramps said:
so do you like the field mice etc?

Yeah, I like me some field mice. I think they're probably one of the best ex-sarah bands (although Heavenly will probably always pip them in my book). Having listened to a few of the sarah compilations, I reckon 50% of their stuff is a little too twee (even for me). I suppose it's the same with the Matinee stuff. There's some gems in there, but there's a lot that needs to be filtered through. I'd definitely recommend the Lucksmiths though - one of my favourite bands from the last few years.

I guess you like Trembling Blue Stars too? I haven't really listened to much else on Shinkansen, but I love TBS (although I have to say that Fosca are a guilty pleasure too). Shame they split before ever playing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back