• Replies 15
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 1

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Cancelled my wireless broadband account cos we could no longer afford to be paying €47 a month (switched to a cheapo fixed line account with another company). My ISP has contacted me and said "ok, but you owe us €987 because your bank hasn't been paying your standing order".

Oh shit.

Thing is, I have receipts from them for every month with an amount and a line saying "Paid by standing order". What should I do? I don't have the €987

I'd recommend talkig a bit to the national consumer agency, from oasis.ie:

If you have a contract with a supplier of services you can expect that:

• The supplier has the necessary skill to provide the service
  • The service will be provided with proper care and diligence
  • The materials used will be sound and that goods supplied with the service will be of merchantable quality
its seems possible that they broke the second rule there if they were misleading you with the bills. I used the nca on my car once o make the vendor pay for nct repairs. i'd say call the nca, then if they bring you any good info call the providers.

what type of organisation is it? if they're right, they didn't contact you for 21 months when payments weren't going through?

they are idiots, if this is the case and don't deserve any money

Check your bank statements. If it's says paid, tell them that and tell them you also have the receipts. If they insist, talk to your bank and ask why they think they haven't been paid. They'll sort it.

If it's a case of it hasn't been paid, even though they didn't contact you in the previous 21 months (or whatever period it was), you will have to pay them. Although the fact that they sent you receipts will at least give you some bargaining power if you have to go to court. And they might settle outside. As in, they MIGHT write it off. It's unlikely but things like that happen all the time.

Just write them a load of letters demanding explanations why they were sending you receipts etc., in case you do have to go to court. At least, it shows you were acting in good faith.

Thing is, I have receipts from them for every month with an amount and a line saying "Paid by standing order". What should I do? I don't have the €987

Are you sure you have a receipt and not a bill? If you pay by standing order can you see the amount leaving your bank account every month? As Goff says, you're gonna have to pay but they or the bank seem to have made a mistake.

so is anyone a lawyer or not?? get back on topic ffs.

i had a horrible run in where a dd cancelled as i was broke one month, they didnt tell me for three weeks and meanwhiles i had run up about 70 euro in various bullshit fees. i got angry with them and maybe got back something like 30.

It happened to a friend of mine. 23 months worth of direct debits for a broadband / phone service never taken out by the company.
He noticed that his bank account wasn't being debited but didn't let on - a bit foolish really as they hit him with a demand for €1,200+ one day.

He rang them and offered to pay €200 a month for six months. They accepted it. He paid them by posting a cheque each time along with a letter quoting his account number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back