An Inconvenient Truth (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
sorry if there was a thread already but I saw this last night and really liked it. gave me a sick feeling in my tummy to see pics of those glaciers receding though.
whatever personal agenda al gore may have, i think it's been an excellent contribution to the world of film. good movie.

Yet to see it, soon though.

i think what i liked most about it was that everything was put very bluntly. at the end of the day, i hope a film like this will help to get the masses thinking seriously about the next 50 years.

also interesting to note the different political responses.

from wikipedia:

* President Bush, when asked whether he would watch the film, responded: "Doubt it." He later stated that "And in my judgment we need to set aside whether or not greenhouse gases have been caused by mankind or because of natural effects and focus on the technologies that will enable us to live better lives and at the same time protect the environment."[38] Gore responded by saying, "The entire global scientific community has a consensus on the question that human beings are responsible for global warming and [Bush] has today again expressed personal doubt that that is true."[39]

* In September 2006, Gore traveled to Sydney, Australia to promote the film. Australian Prime Minister, John Howard said he would not meet with Gore or agree to Kyoto because of the movie: "I don't take policy advice from films." Former Opposition Leader Kim Beazley joined Gore for a viewing and other MPs attended a special screening at Parliament House earlier in the week.[40] Australia's federal government currently refuses to ratify the Kyoto Protocol. Since October 2006 the government has introduced a number of environmental initiatives in response to public concerns.[41]

* In the United Kingdom, Conservative Leader of the Opposition David Cameron has urged people to see the film in order to understand climate change.[42]

* In Belgium, Margaretha Guidone successfully persuaded the entire Belgian government to see the film.[43]

* In Costa Rica, Al Gore met with president Oscar Arias, and was well received by other politicians and media.

i think what i liked most about it was that everything was put very bluntly. at the end of the day, i hope a film like this will help to get the masses thinking seriously about the next 50 years.

the problem would be to get the masses to watch it. Most people i know that have seen it would be aware to some degree the damage being done.

the problem would be to get the masses to watch it. Most people i know that have seen it would be aware to some degree the damage being done.

i totally agree. even so, my basic knowledge of global warming aside, i think it's a very important film and a real eye-opener.

ultimately, without government support, it's clear that getting the masses to go see it will be tricky.

i like to see that the effort to highlight the problem was made though.

that bit at the end when he talks about all the human achievements that have been made and then shows us the earth as a pixel was really powerful.

Yeah I've a feeling I'm gonna be already aware of most of the subject matter but really wanna see how its put across (for the masses).

Gonna go to this talk on Thursday, I've a funny feeling Broken Arm has something to do with it. Reckon the speaker would be confused I asked him did he know an Irish guy called broken arm

"Climate Change - the end of civilisation?"

Peter Davies, Vice-Chair of the UK Sustainable Development Commission

This is also on Thursday

"Climate change: how will mountains and glaciers react?"

Dr Stephan Harrison

Yeah I've a feeling I'm gonna be already aware of most of the subject matter but really wanna see how its put across for the masses.

Gonna go to this talk on Thursday, I've a funny feeling Broken Arm has something to do with it. Reckon the speaker would be confused I asked him did he know an Irish guy called broken arm

"Climate Change - the end of civilisation?"

Peter Davies, Vice-Chair of the UK Sustainable Development Commission

This is also on Thursday

"Climate change: how will mountains and glaciers react?"

Dr Stephan Harrison

cool that sounds interesting; be sure to tell us what it was like and what was said. will there be a q and a session?

cool that sounds interesting; be sure to tell us what it was like and what was said. will there be a q and a session?

Presumably so. Does this mean I'm gonna have to take notes?

It's a pity they're both on around the same time.

I sort of thought I knew all this stuff, but the film really put it more to the front of my mind. It sounds trite, but it turns out I am one of the masses who needs this kind of thing made simple for me.

so stop global warming? :)

i liked this a lot. makes you think what the world would've been like if he had won the election... we need someone like philip k dick to write a book about that alternate reality.

i remember reading an article on climate change (editorial to a special issue on the environment of Time as far as i remember) by Gore in about 1997 or 1998 when I was researching for an education pack on Climate Change during a summer job at a UNESCO organisation. He was saying similar things then!!! The big difference he realised is the impact he made when outside of politics. it is an interesting lesson....

Moose,

I have yet to meet Peter in person but I am aware of who he is - i often end up in seminars/workshops with other people from the sustainable development (SD) commission. I can't say what his talk will be like.....

the SD commission is an appointed independant watchdog on UK government policy related to SD. They are funded through central government but seem to hold a degree of autonomy. They are rolled out to the media a lot when issues such as climate change are being discussed but are free to criticise policy (although Porrit has a consensus approach and market mechanism agenda - neither of which I'm uncomfortable with )

The films not being pushed very hard.
There is one copy of it in my local chartbusters and it's in the arthouse section.
When Michael Moore's [SIZE=-1]Fahrenheit 911 came out there were 20 copies in the new releases.

[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back