An Diabhal (3 Viewers)

yeah!!
I remember seeing a tv programme a long time ago where the African tribespeople reffered to themselves as the 'blue' people.
wonder if thats where the cumann na ngael or whoever it is that makes up words got it?

Smelly Ferry, my Irish teacher in school tolt us it was because the first black man ever to come to ireland was so black he had a blue-ish cast to his skin. Like a masai or similar.

But no doubt it's a big lie.

Fear dubh means a man with black hair, fear donn a man with brown hair fear rua a man with red hair and so on. If you referred to dark skinned people as black or brown, people used think you were talking about their hair colour. Blue/gorm is the closest they best dark colour they could think of that wasn't already a hair colour.

S'true.

Jeez, doesn't anyone log on in the evening's when they have to pay for the internet themselves?

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Fear dubh means a man with black hair, fear donn a man with brown hair fear rua a man with red hair and so on. If you referred to dark skinned people as black or brown, people used think you were talking about their hair colour. Blue/gorm is the closest they best dark colour they could think of that wasn't already a hair colour.

I did a story called "Teacht An Fhir Dhuibh" for the Inter

"An tAdh" was a better one though.
About these lads who drowned and one was left behind because he didn't go with them.

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
[B you can clearly see how proficient and skilled I've become studying the Mícheal O'Siahdhall or whatever-his-name-is by myself. [/B]

I think i have a signed copy of that book, and the tapes that went along with it too. i think.

ha! yeah, the first time I heard that Fear Dubh
was a name for the dëvil I was a bit alarumed... I guess the only thing really black about me is my soul mwahahahahaaaaa ...sooner or late r you lot will have the pleasure of hearing my sick and pointless speech-synth/gaeilge-robot version of "Say it loud(I'm black and I'm proud)by James Brown. Or, Séamus Dunn as I call him:D Hey pete, isn't O'siadhall a poet of some reknown too?

hey! this is my 250th post...can I be changed from "senior member" to "senile member?"

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
Hey pete, isn't O'siadhall a poet of some reknown too?

I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks to the Irish primary education system's wonderful method of teaching the language (memorise and repeat for an hour a day, 5 days a week for 6 years) i've spent the last, ohhh, 20 years hating all things irish language related. The books and tapes were bought by my parents in a futile attempt to help me learn the language (the only exams i ever failed in school were Irish ones). Didn't work.

However, one irish phrase that has stuck with me for years is "Féach an monstrosity seo!".

Anyone else know who said that, and about what?

Originally posted by pete
However, one irish phrase that has stuck with me for years is "Féach an monstrosity seo!"

Wasn't it auld Deko Dangerous, speaking about some modern style Dublin architecture?

Same fella appeared on the cover of a religion book, according to Stephen, the drummer out of Stoat

i saw one forlorn-looking a4 poster for document being roundly ignored by the the sinéad-from-accounts-and-her-new-boyfriend-darren crowd who were boogying on down to dj dexter's not-hip-hop-or-scratching-at-all-but-actually-tedious-techno set and wondering why there were all the dirty punks about...

Originally posted by dudley
hey niall
how did document sales go at the gazi??

Sales went remarkably well. Thanks for asking. I sold 2 in Brighton, 32 in Dublin and 29 in Limerick. Far better than I imagined. it got a bit hairy for a while as I was selling Fugazi cd's as well and no-one had change. I'd never make a shopkeeper at Christmas sales time.

Book is now being re-printed as they is all gone (except ones that are already in the shops and available ONLINE (www.thumped.com/hope/buy.htm in case you didn't know)

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.
Oh bring back wood quay and SADD (Students against the destruction of Dublin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back