American Road Trip (2 Viewers)

I can't think of the name, but you can go to a place in new york and you can get sum1s car who is flying to a new home but dosent wanna drive accross the country and all you pay is gas. Greyhound is hell and youre fucked! i say, fucked! without a car in California, Arizona, Nevada or Oregon/Washington. I've been to about 15 states and it's very pretty in the west but in the mid west all you see is interstate.Very boring I hear. I really wanted to go to chicago and detroit and minneapolis, but like for all the shite in between it's not meant to be worth the gas money. D.C. and Virginia are cool too, you now youre in the south when you see the buildings.

rowdy row tinka said:
I can't think of the name, but you can go to a place in new york and you can get sum1s car who is flying to a new home but dosent wanna drive accross the country and all you pay is gas. Greyhound is hell and youre fucked! i say, fucked! without a car in California, Arizona, Nevada or Oregon/Washington. I've been to about 15 states and it's very pretty in the west but in the mid west all you see is interstate.Very boring I hear. I really wanted to go to chicago and detroit and minneapolis, but like for all the shite in between it's not meant to be worth the gas money. D.C. and Virginia are cool too, you now youre in the south when you see the buildings.

surely shouldnt they pay for gas et all if you're driving their car for them across the states to they're new home.

dont think i could hack greyhounds and lack of showers (thats what interrailing is all about)

mr pharmacist said:
surely shouldnt they pay for gas et all if you're driving their car for them across the states to they're new home.

dont think i could hack greyhounds and lack of showers (thats what interrailing is all about)
no boss, its sound to get the car from them in the first place. think of all the money you save on renting a car and you can stop as much and as often as you like or go to a motel and sleep, I think its a deadly idea. American gas was about a third of the price of ours when i was last there.

rowdy row tinka said:
American gas was about a third of the price of ours when i was last there.

when were you last there?

its a great idea.
do you know the website that advertises that stuff?

only american road trip i've ever done was San Francisco to Burning Man (middle of nowhere, Nevada Desert) and back again. that's not really a road trip though is it

vaguely minneapolis - washington - san francisco - omaha - minneapolis. passed through 15 states in all. All at breakneck speed because we only had 10 days. best way to see the states. one of us owned the car (something like a ford focus with a boot). generally we slept in the car or blagged sofa/floor space in bars, although we got hit by blizzards 3 times so there were three nights paying into motels / hostels. dont do it any later in the year than september because the blizzards are very dangerous, and they slow you down, we did 8hrs on sheet ice a 20miles per hour, if there had been no snow we legally could have been doing 75. also saw 33 car crashes during that blizzard, after a while it became normal to see lorries turn over and career into the ditch... Get a vehicle that goes like the clappers. north dakota is 600 miles of straight road with no scenery other than gas stations. once you get over the size of it all it gets a bit boring. i think that trip cost us around 1000 dollars between 3 heads. we lived off crisps and coffee and would sneak the third person into the motels to save a little.

if i was doing it again i'd do it in summer, bring a mobile phone that emails, spend around 2 days per state and try and cover the whole place. be wary of smoking laws... laramie for example was blanket non smoking, unless you were in a moving car. the speed limit is different from state to state ranging 50-85 ..and in some places all the off licences close at 8.

Thinking about flying to NYC, getting a car with some people and driving at least to las vegas -> santa fe -> grand canyon -> SF -> LA(X)

This looks like a grand site for planning http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/road...neID=cccdaddkdfjljfjcefecggfdffhdgnh.0&cmty=0

My plan would look like this now
http://tinyurl.com/29n275

We'll see if the plans will materialize ever but...

Looking prbably at 90 hours of driving in three weeks, wouldn't be too bad. Any idea how much the Motels are when not booked in advance? Also, how much would a car be for three weeks including some sort of insurance and does it cost extra when the car is dropped off in the other part of the country?

Thinking about flying to NYC, getting a car with some people and driving at least to las vegas -> santa fe -> grand canyon -> SF -> LA(X)

This looks like a grand site for planning http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/road...neID=cccdaddkdfjljfjcefecggfdffhdgnh.0&cmty=0

My plan would look like this now
http://tinyurl.com/29n275

We'll see if the plans will materialize ever but...

Looking prbably at 90 hours of driving in three weeks, wouldn't be too bad. Any idea how much the Motels are when not booked in advance? Also, how much would a car be for three weeks including some sort of insurance and does it cost extra when the car is dropped off in the other part of the country?

bring a tent if your going in a suitable time of the year for weather - cheap and handy and theres decent campsites all over the place where you can light fires and drink beer and stuff.

me and a friend hitched from vancouver to sf and back (we took one bus for about 50 miles due to excessive rain). spent about 3 weeks in total with 1 of them in oakland/sf. definitely reccomend it, so cheap and so many mad yanks out there for the meetin'.

bring a tent if your going in a suitable time of the year for weather - cheap and handy and theres decent campsites all over the place where you can light fires and drink beer and stuff.

Cool, yeah definitely will bring a tent even if the campsite coverage weren't good but that sounds great...probably heading late summer / early autumn if so

Think about it, that's four and a half hours a day. If you stop somewhere for two days, you'll have to do a few days of six hour drives. It's doable, but you'll be fucked after a week.

Inanyways, car rental is pretty cheap, about fifty bucks a day or thereabouts. They'll charge you a drop off fee of about $300-500 if it's another part of the country if you're dropping. I'd stay with avis or hertz as i've heard most of the other crowds will sting you with mad insurance costs and such when you try to pick up the car.

EDIT: Just looking at your map, looks like all the places you want to go are around the west coast, why not just fly into LA or somewhere and drive around there for a few weeks? I've heard people say the big sur drive is worth two or three days alone, and it's only an eight or nine hour drive.

Think about it, that's four and a half hours a day. If you stop somewhere for two days, you'll have to do a few days of six hour drives. It's doable, but you'll be fucked after a week.

Inanyways, car rental is pretty cheap, about fifty bucks a day or thereabouts. They'll charge you a drop off fee of about $300-500 if it's another part of the country if you're dropping. I'd stay with avis or hertz as i've heard most of the other crowds will sting you with mad insurance costs and such when you try to pick up the car.

EDIT: Just looking at your map, looks like all the places you want to go are around the west coast, why not just fly into LA or somewhere and drive around there for a few weeks? I've heard people say the big sur drive is worth two or three days alone, and it's only an eight or nine hour drive.

Good points there, and this is just a very early stage in planning so if I'm gonna do it things will change yeah. I've only been to the west coast in states, so I'd like to travel elsewhere this time, but still get a glimpse of the coast and SF.

Why not do two weeks of the east and a week of the west or something like that. You could probably get a flight across for about one fiddy from jetblue or continental. This site has some deadly driving routes on it worth checking out too, they do a book aswell.

Why not do two weeks of the east and a week of the west or something like that. You could probably get a flight across for about one fiddy from jetblue or continental. This site has some deadly driving routes on it worth checking out too, they do a book aswell.

Yeah, checked that site already. The thought of a journey through the country fascinates me because then we'd be able to see everything that is in between (but mostly loads of nothing, yeah i know). Anyways, it'd be a trip of Americana, bad food and cheap whisky more than going from an attraction to another....see how i've bought into this romantic picture of boring deserted roads as an exciting no mans land...!ninjaaaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back