Amazon.com shipping via Germany. Does that mean no import duty or a red herring? (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
Started buying stuff off amazon.com as well as amazon.co.uk recently.

The three packages I have ordered from amazon.com have all been around the $40 - $50 each and I have noticed that all have shipped through Germany. I deliberately kept the orders small as I am conscious of the customs duty threshold of €45 on non-EU items.

I am considering a higher value order next month and was wondering if other people had any experience of packages worth over $100 - $150 (CDs / DVDs - nothing else) getting through as outlined? Are they wise to the Germany thing or could it help?

nlgbbbblth said:
Started buying stuff off amazon.com as well as amazon.co.uk recently.

The three packages I have ordered from amazon.com have all been around the $40 - $50 each and I have noticed that all have shipped through Germany. I deliberately kept the orders small as I am conscious of the customs duty threshold of €45 on non-EU items.

I am considering a higher value order next month and was wondering if other people had any experience of packages worth over $100 - $150 (CDs / DVDs - nothing else) getting through as outlined? Are they wise to the Germany thing or could it help?
it definitely helps

i've bought tons of stuff from amazon.com and it's all come through the fatherland, without ever being hit for import duty.

pete said:
it definitely helps

i've bought tons of stuff from amazon.com and it's all come through the fatherland, without ever being hit for import duty.

would any of your orders been between say $100 - $200?

Interestingly boards.ie as of yesterday have put a sticky up on their Online buying/auctions forum saying that 'threads about import duty will be locked as they won't want to encourage tax evasion'.

pricks.

nlgbbbblth said:

Interestingly boards.ie as of yesterday have put a sticky up on their Online buying/auctions forum saying that 'threads about import duty will be locked as they won't want to encourage tax evasion'.

pricks.
yeah a few would have been over the $100 mark - the one's involving the 5 disk LOTR boxsets for starters

anyway shipping via germany is tax avoidance (legal), getting some lad in hong kong to write "gift, $1 value" on an $800 camera is tax evasion (illegal)

I've made a bunch of orders over €100 from amazon.com over the last few years and never got done for extra. I think they keep an eye out for electronic goods and the likes, not cds/dvds/books anyhoughs. I do remember me da got stung for something but can't remember what...

nlgbbbblth said:
I have noticed that all have shipped through Germany.

most orders from insound.com arrive with german postage stickers aswell. i've had pretty big orders get through without any customs, even if the front label states the actual cost (6 records and 6 cds->$120).

it must be cheaper for them to bulk send european orders to germany and distribute from there.

nlgbbbblth said:

pricks.

i don't think that's tax evasion in my opinion

i think it's tax avoidance which is very different

anyway is there like now a 1.75% charge on credit card purchases online from other countries?

IFF said:
anyway is there like now a 1.75% charge on credit card purchases online from other countries?
I've heard something to that effect alright, a "cross-border charge" or some such. Might depend on the credit card company.

i started getting that charge out of the blue from withdrawing cash in foreign, didn't know it applied to the standard use of the thing. wankers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back