Album Cover Iconography. (1 Viewer)

Getting back to Millie. Here are some more of her album titles that may hint at an explanation to that cover photo. These could also have been alternate titles: Hurts So Good (Spring 1973), Caught Up (Spring 1974), Still Caught Up (Spring 1975), Get It Out 'Cha System (Spring 1978), A Moment's Pleasure (Spring 1979), Hard Times (Spring 1982)!bog

1950's said:
Getting back to Millie. Here are some more of her album titles that may hint at an explanation to that cover photo. These could also have been alternate titles: Hurts So Good (Spring 1973), Caught Up (Spring 1974), Still Caught Up (Spring 1975), Get It Out 'Cha System (Spring 1978), A Moment's Pleasure (Spring 1979), Hard Times (Spring 1982)!bog

First I thought you'd made that up. Then I saw her discography page:

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Millie%20Jackson.html

If you visit Millie's official site, her more recent work continues in a similar vein. In fact, there's no need to search around for a clip of "Butt-a-cize", the first track off her new album. It plays as soon as you load the page. Magic!

Hail, Millie!

Maybe she's saying something to the photographer along the lines of "I'm trying to take a dump here, would you ever just fuck off out of here with that camera or I'll beat various manners of shite out of you with this here shoe".

I see she opts for the 'paper-out' method of roll loading...good girl Millie...you know it makes sense...nothing worse than pooing in someone else's house and finding that they've loaded the bog roll in the opposite way to you.

!bog

Beanstalk said:
I see she opts for the 'paper-out' method of roll loading...good girl Millie...you know it makes sense...nothing worse than pooing in someone else's house and finding that they've loaded the bog roll in the opposite way to you.

!bog

No, there is something worse, and that's when someone comes to your house and, thinking they're being polite, replaces the toilet paper on the holder using the 'paper under' method, thus making life much more difficult for a couple of days. That's not helping, that's hurting. Stop trying to fill my mind with your 'paper under' propaganda. It's fine under your roof, but, my house, my rules. The paper doesn't even GO on the holder because I am TOO lazy, and it's actually not that easy to reach from the bog. It goes in the little trolley full of toiletries and light reading, the thing next to the toilet. Somewhere near Leonard Maltin's Complete Movie Guide 2005.

jane said:
millie.jpg

Yissir all missing the obvious (and to think you're all Comumbo fans...:rolleyes: )

Notice the lack of straining bars. Now notice the face on Millie...its got "fuck this one's coming out sideways" written all over it. Imagine the pain. Then factor in the lack of a straining bar, and the ready availability of one's shoe to grab a hold of and squeeze like fuck.

Case closed.

QED.

dammit I knew her name seemed familiar. then I remembered someone emailed me this chestnut of a cover AGES ago... it was floating around in an email of funny album covers. it's that album "extra sexual persuasion" from the discog.

Millie_Jackson.jpg

not quite as "symbolic" as back to the shit, but I appreciate the clever use of the crystal ball there. haha, very pursuasive. :D

"Caught Up" IS a really great album.

I've never heard Back To Da Shit but I always liked the cover.

Be great if she popped off like Elvis.

jane said:

I think the title of the album holds a clue. I believe that she was having a conversation with the photographer about shoes. In doing so she got quite worked up about these particilar shoes she was wearing (shoes are defineatly one of millies favourite topics) So on she ranted about the state of the heels on said shoes, much to the bemused attention of the photographer, who was MUCH more interested in taking pictures of people squeezing out a loaf, than shoes. After sensing the photographers disinterest, and a couple of seconds uncomfortable silence Milly was heard to say, 'sooooo, anyways. Back to the Shit HMMMPPPPPHHH' at which point the photo was taken, and album cover history was made.

so there

jane said:
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I'd really like to know why Millie Jackson here (pictured below) is holding one of her shoes. What might it signify? Is there any other work, perhaps by one of her own contemporaries, that might explain this gesture? It isn't in my copy of 'Subjects and Symbols in Art', and I'm just curious.

i think you'll find that millie is a member of 'the order of bri-an' - she holds aloft her shoe as a sign of bith her devotion to the messiah and her right of inheritance as a member
however, as the order had been rejected as a surrealist prank, she attempted to refute the allegation by posing of the toilet as a joke-on-joke on duchamp's famous work. (of course the joke backfired on her twofold, as many interpreted the image as a recoginition of the surrealist angle, while others knew that duchamp was actually a dadaist - so the joke didn't even work properly anyway)

jeebus i'm bored

karljacuncha said:
i think you'll find that millie is a member of 'the order of bri-an' - she holds aloft her shoe as a sign of bith her devotion to the messiah and her right of inheritance as a member
however, as the order had been rejected as a surrealist prank, she attempted to refute the allegation by posing of the toilet as a joke-on-joke on duchamp's famous work. (of course the joke backfired on her twofold, as many interpreted the image as a recoginition of the surrealist angle, while others knew that duchamp was actually a dadaist - so the joke didn't even work properly anyway)

jeebus i'm bored

Yes, you see, I was on the wrong track entirely. I was thinking in Masonic terms (though, of course, women cannot belong to the Order), but now I think you're on to something.

This is so obvious to me.

consider the phenomenon of somebody being struck by lightning and being thrown across a field leaving their shoes smouldering at ground zero.

This is a similar but contrary situation. Millie (legs outstreched) was investing so much energy into dispelling the ass-evil that her smouldering shoe shot off her foot in the heat of the moment.

In the picture she has obviously retrieved the shoe during the interval but knows better than to re-fit it for round two.

Court adjourned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back