Afghanistan and Taliban (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
I'm still trying to educate myself on what is happening since the Taliban began making more of a presence since being overthrown............i guess the main issue right now is the south korean hostage crisis. today the taliban claimed to have killed another and sure enough, a body was found dumped later in the day. so sad.
in cases where the threats are being carried out in earnest - do you think governments in question will resort to ransom? it's said to have happened in the past. or would they even consider the release of prisoners?

i guess this thread has no specific issue - mainly a thread on Afghanistan in the same way there is one on Iraq.

and like I said I am still a big dumbass on all this stuff - so forgive me if the above reads like a P4 question and answer session.

Afghan government said yesterday (31st) that they are NOT releasing any prisoners, this follows on the heels of the US lambasting them for releasing prisoners in exchange for an Italian held hostage but a few months ago.

do you think that the taliban will end up executing each prisoner?

one of the mother sput out a plea saying something like how she "wants to hold her children in her arms again" (two of hers are captive.)

the tears that fell when i read that :(

There does appear to be alot of movement going on to mount a rescue operation as they're fairly sure they know what Province they're in.
If they've killed 2 whats to stop them killing 3 then 4 etc?

Interesting report here http://www.sipri.org/contents/conflict/foxley_paper.pdf called "The Taliban’s propaganda activities: how well is the Afghan insurgency communicating and what is it saying?"

Ok, its more interesting than it sounds - discusses taliban's changing approach to and use of technology, proaganda and deals with how they attract and maintain Afghan supporters. Published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute but written by A British MOD dude.

Interesting report here http://www.sipri.org/contents/conflict/foxley_paper.pdf called "The Taliban’s propaganda activities: how well is the Afghan insurgency communicating and what is it saying?"

Ok, its more interesting than it sounds - discusses taliban's changing approach to and use of technology, proaganda and deals with how they attract and maintain Afghan supporters. Published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute but written by A British MOD dude.
Can't believe I read the whole thing, slow day.
If the Taliban are as unsophisticated as that report says then its a very depressing situation indeed. They have no cohesive structure, ideas etc etc, but they're really good at killing people.

Taliban have released 3 more South Koreans, and agreed a deal to release the rest of them. It involves the South Korean govt. pulling all their troops out of the country and refusing to allow any citizens travel to Afghanistan to do missionary work. (They had already commited to withdrawing their small deployment of non-combat troops, mainly medics and engineers, by the end of the year and had already banned its nationals from travelling to Afghanistan when the hostages were snatched.) Unclear whether they also paid a ransom.

Links:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,,2158201,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article2903565.ece#2007-08-29T00:00:17-00:00

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back