Afghan Whigs appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

bogmanfan

Best rock group ever? Well listening to Gentlemen and Black Love last night, I certainly thought so. Black Love is just a fantastic album, best opening and closing songs ever. Never really got into 1965 though, should I try again?

gentlemen is one of my fave albums. reminds me of college whenever i listen to is. think the only other one i have on cd is up in it, which i hardly ever listen to.

Best rock group ever? Well listening to Gentlemen and Black Love last night, I certainly thought so. Black Love is just a fantastic album, best opening and closing songs ever. Never really got into 1965 though, should I try again?

1965 isn't a great album, so I think that rules them out of the running for best rock group ever. Debonair is one of my ever favourite tunes though.

fuck you, 1965 is amazing, best stadium cock rock album by a non stadium band ever, congregation is great too, like a rawer Gentlemen, great band.

Gentlemen and Black Love totally amazing.
Haven't listened to either in ages but they always gave me a shiver up my spine.

1965 was so disappointing.
"Down the street a young girl plays guitar" (cue cheesy spanish guitar fill) is one of most embarrassing bits.
Some decent enough moments otherwise.

Congregation brilliant too.
'Hidden' track is the best

Saw them at Reading around the time of 1965.
really like that record.
they were amazing even though they looked like Fleetwood Mac & Dulli looked pretty ill.

Hadn't listened to them in a while, but just couldn't get over how good both albums sounded. Will give Congregation a spin tonight. Up In It wasn't great, think I sold it a few years back. Just remember being horribly disappointed with 1965, especially since the single (somethin' hot) was so awesome. Of all the mid 90s bands I loved (Pixies, Pavement, Mercury Rev, Replacements, Stereolab) their stuff has held up the best I think.

saw them at Reading that time too, jaysus dulli had gotten fat! seriously though i couldnt pick a fave between congregation, gentleman, black love and 1965, yeah they were obviously trying to sell records with 1965, didnt work but i think its one of the great under appreciated records

I remember seeing them on Jools Holland around the time 1965 came out and thinking 'jaysus, they're quite good' and despite a gushing review by David Stubbs in the NME never bothered to check it our properly.
Then ten years later, they cropped back into my head, managed to get Gentlemen off someone; he described it as an 'epic fucker of an album', which just about hits the nail. Quite overwrought, but a gorgeous album none the less.Just stuck it on now actually. Goosebump city. Debonair - the swagger of it.

Must get more of their stuff.

Rock Garden in '92, twas rockin. This was within 2 weeks of Pavement in same venue if I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back