• Watchers 2

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The film is called Bitter Lake. It is a bit of an epic - it’s two hours twenty minutes long.

It tells a big historical narrative that interweaves America, Britain, Russia and Saudi Arabia. It shows how politicians in the west lost confidence - and began to simplify the stories they told. It explains why this happened - because they increasingly gave their power away to other forces, above all global finance.

But there is one other country at the centre of the film.

Afghanistan.

This is because Afghanistan is the place that has repeatedly confronted politicians, as their power declines, with the terrible truth - that they cannot understand what is going on any longer. Let alone control it.

The film shows in detail how all the foreigners who went to Afghanistan created an almost totally fictional version of the country in their minds.

They couldn’t see the complex reality that was in front of them - because the stories they had been told about the world had become so simplified that they lacked the perceptual apparatus to see reality any longer.

And this blindness led to a terrible disaster - support for a blatantly undemocratic government, wholesale financial corruption and thousands of needless deaths.

BBC - Blogs - Adam Curtis - TRAILER TRASH

Looks very interesting.

I don't really know much about Adam Curtis, what should I expect?

wait, should I expect to just watch the video at the start of the thread?

Looks very interesting.

I don't really know much about Adam Curtis, what should I expect?

Check this one out, I think

Check this one out, I think

Right. Just watched both trailers. I might give it a miss, I'll only end up shouting at the screen demanding citations.

He's great. Though I've only seen one or two ..

this guy is not a fan

Pandora's Docs

Historically, this has been a dangerous and volatile constituency, and it's no less so today. Sometimes its members find harmless outlets like Trotskyism or music journalism or stand-up comedy, where they can pretend their resentment has something to do with art or truth or liberation, and no one will really notice.

ouch

Wow. Wasn't there some other thread a while ago where there were links to that Spiked site?

Yeah he's supposedly linked to the "Living Marxism" network which comes from the Revolution Communist Party. I dunno if it's such a massive deal, Mark Kermode is constantly calling himself a Trotskyist on the air and no one cares. I think the main criticism that people on the left have with Curtis is that he seems dismissive of the masses, theres an underlying feeling that he thinks the best way of running a country is by an enlighted/educated ruling class who know what's best for the masses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back