[Access denied} Website blocked by WebMarshall...... (2 Viewers)

CinnamonBoy

....is what i saw in work today when I tried to get on to Thumped. Would it be an over-reaction to hand in my notice? I'm thinking not....

What did people do in work before the internet anyway? Send Telex's?
Talk to each other?

We've the most random shit blocked at work - Telegraph Newspaper Online, Ireland dot com, liverpool FC homepage, friendster but not myspace... I think one of the IT guys got a set on one of the tech guys and banned all the sites he visits.

smiley.jpg

it was a beautiful dream for about 3 seconds there...

wslogo.gif

Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reason:
The Websense category "Proxy Avoidance" is filtered.
URL:
http://www.proximitymine.info/

Does anyone know much about this Websense? Does it block websites based on their domain name? I mean, does it just have a lookup table and goes 'yes, this domain name is in my list of disallowed domain name, therefore I'll deny access' or is it more sophisticated than that? And if it isn't more sophisticated, can you just use the site's IP address to access it?

I'm pretty sure it's just that. Like www.youtube.com is blocked on ours, but ie.youtube.com isn't. One of the lads uses the ip for Liverpool FC to access it. He showed me a trick before for getting the ips but i forgottened it.

I'm pretty sure it's just that. Like www.youtube.com is blocked on ours, but ie.youtube.com isn't. One of the lads uses the ip for Liverpool FC to access it. He showed me a trick before for getting the ips but i forgottened it.

Its dead easy. You just open a DOS prompt and type 'nslookup www.youtube.com' for example. It'll just look up www.youtube.com on the DNS server you have registered and return you the IP address. Its kind of retarded if you can get around it so easily.

I suppose it comes down to how the techs have set it up. Our techs (or rather the one crotchety old dude who makes it his job to piss people off) is a bit useless, so he probably went with the easiest setup possible.

Does anyone know much about this Websense? Does it block websites based on their domain name? I mean, does it just have a lookup table and goes 'yes, this domain name is in my list of disallowed domain name, therefore I'll deny access' or is it more sophisticated than that? And if it isn't more sophisticated, can you just use the site's IP address to access it?
i was told by one of our tech guys that it's a bit more sophisticated than the program consulting a blacklist. Something along the lines of how most sites are "rated" by users, or put into categories, and then entire categories being banned as per the desire of the end user. As for who's rating the sites, perhaps it's employees of Websense? i dunno. i've never been asked to put a site into a category, so i figure it's not just some random thing.

PS - i've already run through thumped.com and gorillasmotasscarenow.com, am now using the showthemthisthread.com address...if they ban this one i'm f'd.

Websense employ people to categorise any sites they don't know about already. The uncategorised sites are automatically forwarded by the Websense logging service, which has an option to send anything that's not already in the database to Websense for analysis. The Websense dudes sit at a terminal and each previously unclassified site opens in a custom browser & they select the most suitable category from the Websense list, with the new site info feeding back into the Websense database every night.

The Websense manager lets you create policies which consist of Websense categories, internet protocols and the times the policies should be applied. It's pretty good, and lets you take a really granular approach to your internet access policy.

Websense category list: http://www.websense.com/global/en/ProductsServices/MasterDatabase/URLCategories.php

Websense Database info:
http://www.websense.com/global/en/ProductsServices/MasterDatabase/

PS - i've already run through thumped.com and gorillasmotasscarenow.com, am now using the showthemthisthread.com address...if they ban this one i'm f'd.

that's terrible, do you get warnings or reasons or is it just a case of websense catching up with pete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back