Acceptable music genres for Irish bands (1 Viewer)

Kermit McDermott

The irish public seems to love an earnest bloke with an acoustic guitar but most other attempts at something different for irish bands seems fall on deaf ears.

Are they're some music genres that irish bands just should not attempt??

I've always felt a bit sorry for irish metal bands because there's fuck all exposure through the irish media. Dublin has always been indie rock city. Hot Press has never really treated metal with any seriousness. And any tv shows on are always indie rock based. That's fine I love indie rock and grew out of metal in the early 90's but y'know, thats just an observation.

I read an article in rock sound or Kerrang proclaiming Ireland as the new Norway or some such "compliment" that I didn't understand. I kinda knew some of the bands they mentioned and thought they were going to get a break. Then nothing happened. Metal's grand just not that bullshit excuse to behave like a fucking tool baggy pants kind of bollox. Any music that doesn't involve the words "vibe" or the concept of ginger dreads is fine by me.

I read an article in rock sound or Kerrang proclaiming Ireland as the new Norway or some such "compliment" that I didn't understand. I kinda knew some of the bands they mentioned and thought they were going to get a break. Then nothing happened. Metal's grand just not that bullshit excuse to behave like a fucking tool baggy pants kind of bollox. Any music that doesn't involve the words "vibe" or the concept of ginger dreads is fine by me.

The likes of Primordial and Altar of Plagues are starting to do pretty well outside of Ireland so that's where the comparison started I presume, there's a quite a few other internationally known black and doom metal bands around Ireland. I'd imagine some of them would be better known than most indie bands around here. Also as far as I know the Norwegian black metal scene was unheard of within Norway til after it gained international recognition. Setting aside the obvious church burning and murders that I wouldn't imagine got many new people listening to the music.

Bands shouldn't stick to one genre, thats also kinda lame, and boring. Actually the best bands don't easily fall into a genre. Mix it up dickheads!

The likes of Primordial and Altar of Plagues are starting to do pretty well outside of Ireland so that's where the comparison started I presume, there's a quite a few other internationally known black and doom metal bands around Ireland. I'd imagine some of them would be better known than most indie bands around here. Also as far as I know the Norwegian black metal scene was unheard of within Norway til after it gained international recognition. Setting aside the obvious church burning and murders that I wouldn't imagine got many new people listening to the music.

SO we should burn some churches down, or a halting site or something, that'll get us some exposure?

Yeah I think Primordial was one of them alright. Anyway the point is that Metal is a perfectly cromulant (is that how you spell cromulant. Jesus when the simpsons was good it was fucking great wasn't it?) genre for the paddys. I wish those lads had more quote un qoute mainstream success. Irelands music scene will one day drown under the weight of shite fashion indie. I'd rather see fifty "successful" Metal bands than one more JJ72.

PS I don't even like metal.

PPS Fuck JJ72.

Busking is the only genre you can make money in in Ireland.And cover bands.

Primordial are one of the higher up bands on most European bills these days. It's a shame that Ireland's metal population is so small.
As has been mentioned above, it's down to being fed rubbish fashionable indie for years and the fact that most people cannot handle loud music. In countries like Finland and Norway, metal sits in the mainstream (in terms of popularity).
Primordial's last album "To the Nameless Dead" from 2007 was as good as any Irish album released that year. Last year "White Tomb" by Altar of Plagues was also one of the albums of the year. Neither were even realistically considered for a Choice Music prize.
I always wonder why magazines and journalists don't take a gamble and report on these excellent albums by Irish bands who have success abroad.
This year AoP signed to Candlelight Records!!! The home of Emperor, Enslaved and Blut Aus Nord to name a few.
There are other great Irish bands out there as well such as Wreck of the Hesperus and Mourning Beloveth but Ireland's small metal population can't sustain all of these bands.

Anyway the point is that Metal is a perfectly cromulant (is that how you spell cromulant..

You can't spell cromulant without CROM.

CROM.jpg

Neither were even realistically considered for a Choice Music prize.

That will NEVER happen. Metal is huge here, the problem is as much with the metal fans here. Always looking to America. You think indie fans are biased against local music? If Primordial were to support Metallica or someone (and they should be) they'd probably be booed. For being Irish.... oh wait, unless they got big somewhere else first.

I'd never heard of Primordial so I looked at their site. This is on the front page.

'Like many Irish people right now I don’t know if I can look society square in the eye, or at least the instruments of the church and state without wanting to see them burned to the ground. You can almost taste the betrayal, and it is bitter sweet.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back