a marrow. a big fat fuck off marrow... (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
it's about a foot and a half long!

someone gave it to me a few days ago. what the hell do I do with it? I've never had to contend with one before... so far, we've carved a little face into him, played catch the marrow once or twice, made a number of marrow based puns, (I'll cook it to-marrow etc.), and I've toyed with the idea of throwing it out the top window of the house onto the street for explosive effect, but that would be a bit of a waste wouldn't it?

I'm looking for a quick and, most importantly, easy/not-requiring-many-ingredients recipe (cos I have no money to spend on anything at the moment) so I can cook and eat the bastard. for instance, I've been told that "stuffing and roasting" is nice. would anyone like to elaborate on this suggestion?

all other suggestions welcomed of course. thanxz.

Stuffed and roasted is very nice. Other options include making marrow chutney (very nice with curries, on toasted cheese sambos etc), marrow soup, using it as the main ingredient in a stew.

I'll provide some recipies later if you would like.

Here is one to start with. I need to get my hands on a very ancient cook book my Mum has to get some of the others. I thought I had it here still but I must have given it back to her :(

Marrow Soup

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 shallots, diced (I’m sure a large onion would do)
1 garlic clove
2 lbs diced and peeled marrow
2 potatoes, chopped
2 pints chicken stock
3 oz farfallini or other small dried pasta
grated rind and juice of one lemon
large handful of chives, chopped
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the shallots(onion) and garlic and fry over low heat for 3 minutes.
Add the marrow, potatoes and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Rub the mixture through a sieve or blend until smooth.
Add the pasta and cook for about 7 minutes until soft
Stir in the lemon rind, juice and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

cool. that looks good. and I have shitloads of bread at home at the moment...

I have most of the ingredients already too. deadly. I suppose I could smash up some pasta to make it smaller and use vegetable stock (I have a few fancy organik vegetable stock cubes too) instead of chicken stock. will have to buy some potatoes. I have no chives though. :(

thanks squigglez!

cool. that looks good. and I have shitloads of bread at home at the moment...

I have most of the ingredients already too. deadly. I suppose I could smash up some pasta to make it smaller and use vegetable stock (I have a few fancy organik vegetable stock cubes too) instead of chicken stock. will have to buy some potatoes. I have no chives though. :(

thanks squigglez!

Well, the chives are mostly for colour/contrast I would imagine... so it should be ok to put in any other chopped herb type greenery that you fancy. Veg stock would be good too.

If you wanted to you could freeze some of the pre-pasta soup for later.

Sorry 'bout the others. I know that the stuffed version involves halving the marrow, scooping out the seeds, roasting it in foil until softened then stuffing with (various options here) and putting back in the oven until the stuffing is cooked.

well, even sans potato and chives, that marrow soup turned out pretty sweet. threw a birra of crushed mustard seed action, basil and a little rosemary as well. happy dayz.

burned the fucking shit out of my mouth eating it though. the hunger.

That's good

In case you've got any left or if anyone else gets stuck with a marrow here are a few more recipes:

Marrow Chutney
1 lb onions (grated or finely chopped)
1/2 pint vinegar
2lb Marrow
2-4oz dried fruit (if liked)
1 teaspoon pickling spice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger - more if liked
12oz sugar.

1 Put the oinion into a saucepan with 1/8 pint vinegar and simmer until nearly soft.
2 Add the chopped marrow, dried fruit, spices (tied securely in a muslin bag), salt, ground ginger and just enough vinegar to stop mixture from burning.
3 Cook gently until the marrow is soft, stirring from time to time.
4 Add the remainder of the vinegar and thoroughly stir in the sugar.
5 Boil steadily until the chutney is thick.
6 Remove pickling spices
7 Pour into hot jars.

Marrow Provencal

1 lb diced, peeled marrow (or sliced courgette)
1 1/2 oz butter or a little oil
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1 large sliced onion
1 large can tomatoes
salt and pepper
herbs

Heat the butter or oil in a large frying pan or a saucepan. Toss the garlic and onion in the butter or oil. Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes. Put in the marrow and seasoning, cover the pan and lower the heat and cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, until tender.

Stuffed Marrow

Stuffing
2 tbsp olive oil
110g streaky bacon, diced
110g onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
110g mushrooms, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
450g minced beef
parsly, thyme, chives (or whatever fresh herbs)
tin chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper

1 marrow

3oz breadcrumbs
45g grated cheddar
butter

Heat 1/2 the oil in a saucepan. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove to a plate. Reduce heat, add onion and crushed garlic and sweat for a few minutes, add to the bacon. Increase the heat, add the mushrooms, season, toss for 1-2 minutes and put with the rest.

Add more oil to the pan, fry the minced beef on high heat until browned. return the onion, bacon and mushrooms to the pan. Add herbs and tomatoes. Check seasoning. Increase the heat and cook until thick and concentrated but still juicy.

Heat oven to 180 degrees C. Combine the breadcrumbs and grated cheddar in a bowl.

Cut marrow lengthwise and scoop out the seeds from one half (or both depending on size of marrow). Fill with stuffing and cover top with cheese and breadcrumb mix. Put a few knobs of butter on top. Bake for 1 hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back