Speed in an internal ethernet network (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
I recently had gigabit fibre installed where I live and work.

At the point in my office where the cable enters the property when I'm directly connected to the modem supplied via ethernet cable I am getting good speed.

I have also extended the network, running 2 lines of CAT5 from the modem to other areas where the wifi signal can't reach. Both of these cat 5 lines are connected to routers.

The speed I'm getting from these other routers is a lot slower.

I have 2 ideas:

1. The CAT 5 cable from the modem to the other routers is thin, would upgrading it to a more heavyweight cable improve things.

2. The routers I'm using to extend the network are quite old, if I got newer routers would they be better suited to handling a gigabit network

not sure how effective mesh is going to be between buildings. You might be better off with a cat 6 cable run to each + a new wifi access point in each building. if it's a business expense then go all out and take a look at something like a Unifi PoE switch and a couple of their APs.

not sure how effective mesh is going to be between buildings. You might be better off with a cat 6 cable run to each + a new wifi access point in each building. if it's a business expense then go all out and take a look at something like a Unifi PoE switch and a couple of their APs.

We upgraded a network camera system with just new cabling from cat5 to cat6 and all the cameras loaded muuuuuch faster on the multi camera screen.
Massive improvement

Car6 and gigabit hardware or 'go home'

Lil update to this.

Bought a 3 unit mesh network.

And a 50' length of cat 6.

Ran the CAT 6 from the new router out and in via doors and windows to one of the other buildings and into a laptop. Got close to a gig on speedtest. Happy days. Cat 6 will get me fast speeds wired to at least one other building.

Set up mesh network as an access point, home hub by the modem and then bought another hub into that same building I tested in, network connected but very poor speeds, 26 mb. Not good.

Tried taking the home hub away from the modem and connected it to the CAT 5 cable that the router/access point in the building was connected to. In both cases I was getting 300mb speedtest over wifi. I'll have to test the eir TV connections tonight using this setup but it seems as though CAT 5 will deliver a decent speed if I simply upgrade the router/access point. This should do be until I can get the CAT 6 for CAT5 replacement done.

I ended up running 200m of new cat6a cable + another 2x30m of repurposed cat 6 that I had, about 90m of coax to some new tv points, and about 70m of speaker wire.

Now I just need to stick the end bits on to the cables, wire up the network points, tv points and speakers, assemble my new comms rack & install the patch panel and switch, move the eir ONT and my router, and maybe stick in a PoE switch for the wireless AP for upstairs that I haven’t bought yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back