magazine (1 Viewer)

mazzyianne

Website
Visit site
Hi, I have never even really noticed this forum before, deadly, yis shall be probably plagued with questions over the coming months.
i'm looking for reccomendations for printers in Ireland to print a magazine, 500- 1000 copies.
full colour cover and probably one colour inside.

We want to use recycled paper and are thinking about non toxic ink and all that hippy crap but will probably have to go outside Ireland for that yeah?
Also if you make your own covers would a printing place attach them for you?
Are there any down sides to using In Design as opposed to quark for designing it?
I think that's all for now:)

Hey Mazzianne. Is this this feminist thing?

Eco Print Ltd is the crowd to go for.

As for paper, it seems the best 100% recycled paper to go for - which Eco Print uses - is 'Corona' which comes in a different assortment of weights. The Sustainable Ireland/Cultivate magazine is printed on it. It's about 10% darker than ordinary, bleached paper so if you're designing, just remember that colours will appear 10% darker than they appear on your monitor (if it's calibrated properly).

But, in general, don't worry about inks. Most European inks are made in Germany and most are already soy-based but most printers don't even know it. Chances are, if you asked them if they print with biodegradable/non-petroleum-based inks, they wouldn't have a clue or just assume they don't. Likelihood is, they already do.

But Eco Print can do all that for you and their prices are pretty good.

I'm not sure whether you could get a cheaper deal with another printer while sourcing your own paper yourselves.

1,000 seems like a low enough print run, so it might make sense to find a smaller printer - maybe someone on here knows someone - or put in a little extra to get a load more prints at lower cost.

Actually, there's another paper Eco Print uses called 'Revive' - it's about 80% recycled paper waste and 20% new pulp from managed forests. Unlike Corona, it's coated, it has a sheen to it but isn't super-shiny.

It might actually be cheaper, and colours will be brighter. It's great for some purposes, but I think shiny paper usually looks shit.

Hi Mazzianne,I'll pm you the details of the guy who does the wsms stuff. think you probably know him anyway. he's a nice fella whos sympathetic to lefties and would be good for a bit of advice anyway.

mazzyianne said:
Are there any down sides to using In Design as opposed to quark for designing it?

InDesign is deadly for magazines, I work in magazine design and I use it, I found it totally daunting at first but can't go back now, you can do lots within that one application that previously meant switching between 2 or 3 appz

Also the PDF exporter is amazing, and quick, totally deadly

Any printer would do a 500-1000 run, the big magazine/news paper presses would be looking for 10,000+ to even bother with so, so any normal average printer will have a crack at it

potlatch said:

Maybe...!ninjaaaa (how the??:confused:)

Are they in Ireland, I can only find a uk website?
Thanks everyone for the info.
I'll pass it on to our 'publishing team'...
Yeah InDesign seems deadly so far, I just thought it might be too good to be true.
More questions to follow I'm sure but keep the good advice coming.

potlatch said:

As for paper, it seems the best 100% recycled paper to go for - which Eco Print uses - is 'Corona' which comes in a different assortment of weights. The Sustainable Ireland/Cultivate magazine is printed on it. It's about 10% darker than ordinary, bleached paper so if you're designing, just remember that colours will appear 10% darker than they appear on your monitor (if it's calibrated properly).

But, in general, don't worry about inks. Most European inks are made in Germany and most are already soy-based but most printers don't even know it. Chances are, if you asked them if they print with biodegradable/non-petroleum-based inks, they wouldn't have a clue or just assume they don't. Likelihood is, they already do.

matt is sometimes ususally expensive, depending on the run, but he'll always do a good deal. good for the heart too.

broken arm said:
matt is sometimes ususally expensive, depending on the run, but he'll always do a good deal. good for the heart too.
Aye, he's an honourable lad. Always likes to put talking about the anarchists in the Spanish Civil War ahead of business! I think maybe he puts his prices up when he thinks whoever it is can afford it. We used to go with Genprint - not eco-anything - their prices were fine, but I think they began taking the piss. Eco Print is great and prices are about the same as your average, slightly cheaper printers, for us anyway.

Are there any other eco-like printers in Ireland or UK that might be cheaper?

potlatch said:
Aye, he's an honourable lad. Always likes to put talking about the anarchists in the Spanish Civil War ahead of business! I think maybe he puts his prices up when he thinks whoever it is can afford it. We used to go with Genprint - not eco-anything - their prices were fine, but I think they began taking the piss. Eco Print is great and prices are about the same as your average, slightly cheaper printers, for us anyway.

Are there any other eco-like printers in Ireland or UK that might be cheaper?

There are eco-printers in the UK but I would try to keep the "print miles" to a minimum and Matt deserves support for being a first.

Im probably abit late on this thread. but if you're looking for recycled paper independent from that Eco Print crowd your best bet is to go straight to the source of recycled paper in Dublin/Ireland: Klee paper. thats where Cultivate get there stuff and you can get those revolve and corona papers there see: www.ecoland.com
and they're based on the North Circular Road, Phibsboro
'been getting paper off them for years for making zines. i usually go for the basic recycled paper. tried that Corona recently for photocopying and it didnt work out at all, maybe its better for printing...

thanks anto,
Yeah we're vaguely looking into printing it ourselves but we'll have to see how much time we all have to put into it and what kind of quality we can get. The photos in your last zine were amazing, really clear. Was that photocopied in Reeds?

mazzyianne said:
thanks anto,
Yeah we're vaguely looking into printing it ourselves but we'll have to see how much time we all have to put into it and what kind of quality we can get. The photos in your last zine were amazing, really clear. Was that photocopied in Reeds?

no ive started using a place at the end of Capel st./ north king street near Bolton street called PC Smart. its the same price as Reads and their machine is amazing! theyve only got one though so it takes longer than Reads. but you should see this machine go. its some kind of an all in one colour/ black and white beauty the images come out alot better. The black/white machines in Reads have actually got worse, they got in new machines in the last year or two that dont photocopy images as well as machines they had a few years ago. Reads in Cork still have the better older machines as it happens (and are cheaper at 3c/side). i love photocopying machines though, maybe someday ill have my own...

Just thought I'd up-to-date people in case anyone is doing anything similar someday.
Most places in Ireland were pretty expensive. Ecoprint was really expensive, I think he misquoted us first though so it was a bit confusing.
We went with footprint in Leeds http://www.footprinters.co.uk/ because they are a workers co-op and are much cheaper, including postage than any Irish company we came across.
There have been various hiccups and stuff...
Anyway, they're worth thinking about if you're getting things printed, the price difference was really significant. They seem more used to printing flyers, pamphlets, cd covers, zines and that sort of smaller stuff so if you're doing any of that sort of thing...
I'll reserve judgement on whether you should use them for magazines til we get ours back :D
Learning as we go...:)

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find 'eco-printers' in the UK. The price difference is massive. I could get twice as many magazines printed in one place than I could in Dublin. More than twice, probably. But they can't get in the exact paper we're looking for.

Let us know how it goes. By the way, who else did you contact in the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back