Which is worse, new country singer or boy band? (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Okay, so my six year old nephew loves music. The kid is always singing and my sister has bought him a little guitar and a drum set. I think the drum set is more my brother in law than my sister since he was a drummer back in the day. At any rate, the kid was mad into awful new country (my sister) and 80's hair bands (BIL). Okay, so some bad music, but I can't help but to smile when ever he starts singing. So my mother just sent me one of her family updates and my sister is driving him 3 hours to go see his new favorite band "The Jonas Brothers" at an amusement park. He is 6 years old! This development scares me. I fear my sister turning into one of those stage moms and will make him into a boy band member. Would it be wrong to send him lots of music to counter act the onslaught of crap? Which is worse, new country singer or boy band? Are any of you parents giving your kids a music education?

I've a step daughter and I'm constantly introducing her to new/old music, some of it sticks, some doesn't. I've taken her to see artists as diverse as Prince to Daniel Johnston and she's loving it.
I think its our responsibility to pass the baton of good music taste.

Last night was the first night I played music for my in utero baby.
There was kickage. I'm guessing it was approval.

A 6-year-old of my acquaintance

URL%5D

gflyingvld6.jpg

Loves Michael Jackson.
Thankfully non-reciprocated.

Early on the kids choose between bands with instruments and bands without - the road of musical taste forks at that stage and the rest of their lives will follow that pattern.

My niece went from busted to my chemical romance and is close to liking some halfway decent music.

Her opinion on my music?

"Nobody likes your music cos it's boring and you don't know anything"

Driving 3 hours for a 6 year old to see his favorite band? Either she is the coolest mom or insane. Hard to tell really. I keep thinking if I send him Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo or the like, maybe he'd will go alt country instead of the "My Tractor is Sexy" or "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" route.

Growing up my Dad (who loves music of all kinds) used to bring his records down from the attic on a Friday and Saturday night and play everything from Zepplin and The Who to James Taylor and Elton John. Myself and my sisters would dance around the sitting room before bed listening to all this stuff.
I remember one of the first movie he rented for us when i was about 6yrs old was The Last Waltz.

When i turned 12 i started listening to Take That. I was a huge fan untill Robbie departed from the band and i went back to liking Nirvana ect (my dad quitely rejoyced)

What im trying to say is that the man gave me an excellent grounding in music and even tho i did stray away from it, i came back and im thankfull for it so YES for the love of god, send your nephew some real music!

Surely you expose them to as much music as possible and just let them see what they like.

I mean it mightn't be everyone's bag but it's okay to listen to Justin Timberlake, They Might Be Giants and Dashboard Confessional, yes?

Saddling a kid with some musical snobbery is not how I'm doing it.
Give them a love of music, whatever it may be, not particular bands.
There's no such thing as 'good taste in music'
If you like it, it's good.

Surely you expose them to as much music as possible and just let them see what they like.

I mean it mightn't be everyone's bag but it's okay to listen to Justin Timberlake, They Might Be Giants and Dashboard Confessional, yes?

Saddling a kid with some musical snobbery is not how I'm doing it.
Give them a love of music, whatever it may be, not particular bands.
There's no such thing as 'good taste in music'
If you like it, it's good.

That's never okay.

I was never introduced to any music, really. Except for the songs that would be sung at family get-togethers. My mam's family in particular are demons for the sing-songs. So the only music I was ever 'introduced' to were songs like Moon River, My Normandy, Crying Time, The Book (Buke), Solitaire, The Wonder of You and Fools Rush In, all sung in olden day Dublin accents that sound a bit like Russian accents.

Driving 3 hours for a 6 year old to see his favorite band? Either she is the coolest mom or insane. Hard to tell really. I keep thinking if I send him Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo or the like, maybe he'd will go alt country instead of the "My Tractor is Sexy" or "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" route.

start him on cash or williams, even a bit of kristoferson, and then start slyly upping the oddness. your sister will be driving him to bonny prince billy gigs in no time.

incidently, it was my old man who got me into cash, dylan, harry belafonte and other good stuff when i was a nipper. so glad of that now.

Video demonstrates how mind-numbingly formulaic and shitty Country pop music has become | Dangerous Minds

If you need any proof of how much Country pop music sucks nowadays, look no further than this video which dissects and mashes-up six Country songs. All of them sound alike. There ain’t nothin’ “original” added to the mix. “Original” never got anywhere close to the these songs to begin with!

In fact, the evidence so damning, YouTuber Sir Mashalot created his own Top 40 Country pop song.

I created this mashup as an experiment to see if I was crazy, or if I really was hearing the same hit country song over and over again, just sung by different artists. Turns out I wasn’t crazy…

----------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back