Your Parents Record Collection (4 Viewers)

My old man's record collection contained some gems. Beatles, Stones, Creedence, Zombies, Nilsson...but he also had a load of bland MOR/folk/classical. Often wondered what he was thinking when he bought the likes of 'Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass' the same year he bought 'Revolver'.

They both had Astral Weeks and Dark Side of the Moon, which was handy when I was a youngester and approached them about a tune from either artist that I'd heard on the radio, snuggling under the covers listening on headphones.

My da has some great stuff: King Crimson, Ummagumma, Loads of Lizzy, Skid Row, Dr. Feelgood, every Van Morrisson album, Horslips, Planxty, Graham Parker and the Rumour, early Bob Marley, every Dylan LP up to Desire or Street Legal, Black Sabbath, Coloseum, Rust Never Sleeps + the usual two, a Harvest records sampler from the late 60s, and loads of other stuff, some good, some shite, some Emerson Lake and fucking Palmer.

My ma had good stuff too....lots of Jackson Browne, The Eagles, James Taylor and some whopping Motown 7"s and other great singles.

wow, your parents are still buying records then? I'd say there hasn't been an album bought by anyone a generation ahead of me in about 30 years.

Yeah my da bought a Faithless Live DVD with a token he got for his 70th birthday.
There's no accounting for taste is there....
On the upside he also bought the Michelle Gondry and Johnathon Glazer music video collections on the same day as the above.

When my dad started bringing me to record shops when I was about 10, I used ask him why his record collection appeared to end around the late-70s. "Because of you feckin' lot", he'd reply, meaning myself and my siblings. I feel a little guilty about that. He couldn't afford records anymore.

However: My oul pairs' first date was going to see John Martyn in Liberty Hall. Top that.

wow, your parents are still buying records then? I'd say there hasn't been an album bought by anyone a generation ahead of me in about 30 years.

Well, I'm probably the age of some of yizer parents (50+) and I still buy records. Far, far too many.

It's to make up for the fact that my parents were musical illiterates. My mum had an entirely snobbish regard for classical music that it took me ages to see through, and my dad was functionally deaf by the time he was my age.

Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top, Fleetwood Mac, Ry Cooder, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, Linda Rondstadt, Star Wars Disco. A million 60's singles, Beatles, Kinks etc.
It was pretty decent.

Perry Como
Charlie Landsborough
James Last
Neil Sedaka
Barbara Streisand
The Carpenters
Shirley Bassey
Elvis
but mostly compilations called things like "The Greatest 50s Love Songs" and "Songs we Remember from the Movies", etc.

Edited to add: PAT BOONE

Hmmm.

- Neil Young
- A Woman's Heart and all the individuals on the comp
- Paul Brady
- CCR
- A good few Demis Rousseau (sp?) records that never got played cus the record player was broken
- Garth Brooks
- Some Rolling Stones bits and pieces

Things we never had were The Beatles. Bar a few songs on radio, I didn't really know any Beatles until I was 17.

When my dad spoke of music, he always mentioned Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash and Barclay James Harvest. But they were never around the house. So he was in the hard rock camp when growing up.
I think mum was a regular Beatles and 60s stuff gal.

Larry Cunningham
Herb Alpert
Dennis Allen
Foster and Allen
James Galway
Annie Murray
The Sound of Music
Roger Whittaker
Neil Diamond
James Last

As a result I now have my own James Last shelf.
cropped-picture040-1.jpg

Lots of country and western which I used to think was funny but now would quite like to own
Simon and Garfunkel
And inexplicably three LPs by psyche rock band The Godz
Last time I looked through the collection I found a Billie Holliday LP still in its shrink wrap from the 70s, which I stole

Dad has Vinyl from Neil young/ Stones/ Dylan/ Bowie/ Who/ some singer called Melanie/ Nana mouskouri (no idea why)

Mum has some Enya tapes

There's also a christmas album somewhere in the house, dunno who owns it...

My ma has that Chris de Burgh album where he's in the bath on the cover. Even at the age of 10 I gave her stick about that one. There's Nana Mouskouri records over in my nana's house too (presume they're my mothers). Nana Mouskouri must've been fucking huge.

My grandad/uncle had/has a load of Dubliners and Wolfe Tones records. I regarded them with amusement previously but I'd love them now, seeing as, in my life, nightclubs have been replaced by sitting drinking whisky and getting riled up about the Brits.

Dad: Dad Rock
Mam: Mam Rock

Lots of Beatles, Stones, Simon and Garfunkle, Mamas and Papas, Dean Martin, Johnny Cash, Rod Stewart, the Grease soundtrack and Abba.

Then they got old and scared now they own absolute shite like Garth Brooks and fucking Westlife (cos it's nice to see an Irish band making good) to be fair to my Ma she lost her hearing in one ear when the IRA blew up O Connell street in the early 70s. My auldfella has no excuse though.

I was disappointed to learn that my parents like Daniel O'Donnell

Now there is an 'artist' that I just don't get. I remember calling to a mates house for band practice when I was a kid, long hair, army surplus parka, heavy metal patches, guitar in hand... and a delivery guy pulled up and asked me if I liked Daniel O'Donell.."he has a lovely voice"

and he wasn't taking the piss

music for people with special needs

edit: my parents do not have special needs

Rory,The Wolfe Tones and The Dubliners.

And go fuck yerselves.This is party house

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back