Simple Kid - another Cork langer releases a rekkid. (2 Viewers)

Jim A. Morrish

Website
blog.myspace.com
SIMPLE KID

THE AVERAGE MAN (taken from the forthcoming album SK1)

29th August 2003

"Enchanting Stuff" - Q

"Like Badly Drawn Boy with different crayons" - X Ray

"A sonic spray-can full of squelching beats, electric sounds & street smart lyrics" - Bang "Plenty of glam but also Neu!...smart lyrics, catchy as hell - here's a star in the making" - X Ray

The Average Man is the brand new single to be taken from Simple Kid's debut album SK1. The Average Man will receive its Irish release on the 29th August and will be followed with the release of SK1 on the 5th September.

Simple Kid 1 is the amazing debut album from unsurprisingly Simple Kid. Produced and mixed by the Kid (Ciaran Mc Feely from Cork) the album retains the rough edge of early Fierce Panda EPs but now with added punch via Steve Fitzmaurice (Depeche Mode mixer) ... which means an album that contains 4 tracks from early days has a new, bigger feel to it.

Simple Kid 1 lets the man show why he is the best wordsmith in Ireland/UK. Period.* This album puts Simple Kid in a place not occupied by any other Irish/ UK artist and it rocks like a big glam one.

SK1 contains newly worked early tracks 'Truck on' , 'The Average Man', 'Supertramps', 'The Commuter' but all completely remixed . The album also contains a hidden track!

Q Review

"SIMPLE KID

SK1

2M RECORDINGS

Cork's Ciaran Mc Feely proves to be a bit of a character.

If you're going to play the eccentric ingénue, hailing from Cork - home of the Frank & Walters, Sultans of Ping FC and the crazy Roy Keane - is a definite advantage. The moniker won't fit when he's 38, but it suits McFeely's debut batch of elementary, hummable songs, like The La's sparring with The Beta Band while Marc Bolan looks on. Throughout, McFeely hymns a meaningless modern world, struck by the false promises of the'60's but clearly an enthusiast for its drugs, while the beatboxy, DIY feel doesn't preclude deft arrangements and daft aperçus* such as, "I smoke the brands the with the cancer guarantee". Enchanting stuff.

Danny Eccleston, Q Magazine

ex young offenders/v-necks boy no?
i remeber quite liking one or two young offenders choons.

apparently he's on Jools Holland tonight

Here's what the UK & Irish press have made of Simple Kid's SK1 abum so far.... *

"Simplicity has rarely sounded better" NME

"The result of what happens to an intelligent mind hurled into the dole in a dumbed down world" Independent On Sunday

"Urban minstrel Simple Kid is far from simple. He's one of the most articulate lyricists on the planet" XFM.com

"He's angling to become the post-modern Bob Dylan. And you know what? Simple Kid might just have the smarts" NME

"A dynamic singer-songwriter with an inventive musical approach and a flair for darkly humorous lyrics" Hot Press

"T- Rex for the i-pod generation" Uncut

"Shame he's too young to be called a national treasure" The Guardian Guide

"Watch those awards flood in" Logo

"Young dumb (in name only) and full of 24 hour party rock foot-tappers" GQ

"His skill is to turn beautifully crafted pop songs on their head" Time Out

"The most obvious comparison is with Badly Drawn Boy, but Simple Kid has a few more tricks up his sleeve" Evening Standard *

Uncut 4/5...Q 4/5...
X Ray 4/5...
Bang 4/5...
Daily Express 4/5...
The Independent 4/5...
The Big Issue 4/5....NME 7/10....

he's at the Lobby, Cork on the 22nd nov
support comes from Rest

Jim A. Morrish said:
apparently he's on Jools Holland tonight

Here's what the UK & Irish press have made of Simple Kid's SK1 abum so far.... *

"Simplicity has rarely sounded better" NME

"The result of what happens to an intelligent mind hurled into the dole in a dumbed down world" Independent On Sunday

"Urban minstrel Simple Kid is far from simple. He's one of the most articulate lyricists on the planet" XFM.com

"He's angling to become the post-modern Bob Dylan. And you know what? Simple Kid might just have the smarts" NME

"A dynamic singer-songwriter with an inventive musical approach and a flair for darkly humorous lyrics" Hot Press

"T- Rex for the i-pod generation" Uncut

"Shame he's too young to be called a national treasure" The Guardian Guide

"Watch those awards flood in" Logo

"Young dumb (in name only) and full of 24 hour party rock foot-tappers" GQ

"His skill is to turn beautifully crafted pop songs on their head" Time Out

"The most obvious comparison is with Badly Drawn Boy, but Simple Kid has a few more tricks up his sleeve" Evening Standard *
how can one man suck so much cock??

i think he feautred on 6 songs on the second reindeer section album, 4 of which i think are among the best on the album

plus he also did something on the latest snow patrol album but i'm not sure what

i heard he's good, my brother sean got an e.p. of his in a competition from vital distribution but i haven't had a chance to hear it though

Here's what with this Simple Kid guy recording WIll Oldham's "I See A Darkness" and releasing it as a single (at least I think it's a single)? That's such a bizarre thing to do ... take a brilliant song that already has had one definitive cover version made of it (the Cash one) that everyone knows and is basically the *last word* on the subject and go and re-record it ??!! What the fuck is he thinking???!!! It's not a bad version like but only a total twat would actually choose to listen to it or want to own it over the Cash one ....

So what's going on? Am I missing something here? Is he hoping that people wont know it's a cover and go "Wow .. that Simple Kid guy is such an amazing songwriter!". Is it all some indie-style post-modern carry-on that's just way over my head?

by the way, I dont mean to slag the simple kid ... i heard some of his stuff before and it was far from the worst ... just dont understand why he is doing this ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back