alternatives to MSword? (1 Viewer)

killy kill

(Retired)
My product key to use MSword on me new laptop is "invalid" for some reason and i can only open it so many times before it goes all 'reduced functionality' up in this bitch.

Don't have a clue about this stuff, any alternatives? Er, free alternatives, that is...

I'm not being a wiseass. I use Open Office for everything and it's fine. A few bugs in the Open Office Writer, like where you can't get word counts (I just use an online word count thingy), and the dictionary and thesaurus are a bit rubbish. I'm using 2.2, but there's a 2.4 available, and some of the bugs might have been worked out. I should probably download the thing.

It's also good if you aren't too keen on the new versions of MS Word because it looks more like 97 or 2000.

I use the spreadsheet one, too, and that's also totally fine, as is the not-powerpoint.

I've had no problems with compatibility with MS word, either on Mac or PC.

If you have MS works installed and want to get full office you need need only get the upgrade version of office not the whole shebang - might save a few quid for anyone who is considering this.

I have open office on a USB drive that I can run directly from any machine - very very handy when travelling - it has Thunderbird, Open Office, Skype and FTP client all which run directly from the USB drive leaving nothing on the machine.

Open Office 3 beta is out. Not had a chance to test it yet...

Google Docs is surprisingly good too.

Not really the same thing but you can make amazing looking documents in LaTeX.
Its not what you see is what you get, you have to learn an annoying markup language, but the documents it makes look great.

I use it to make my CV for instance.

Not really the same thing but you can make amazing looking documents in LaTeX.
Its not what you see is what you get, you have to learn an annoying markup language, but the documents it makes look great.

I use it to make my CV for instance.

Professor%20John%20Frink.gif

Why didn't you use vi?

cause I use Kile to edit my Latex stuff. And emacs to do everything else.

Heh heh. Yis can laugh all you want, shit looks deadly in LaTeX. Its not that complicated. If you have any experience with markup you'd learn it in no time. The only thing that's any way tricky is putting in pictures.

I think MS Word is fierce complicated when you are forced to fiddle about with it. I have no idea what its doing half the time.
You just have to hope that it guesses correctly what you want, which it does most of the time. But Christ help you when it doesn't. Fucking nightmare.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that was possible - I figured Office would be writing all sort of stuff to the registry as it installed.

Do a search for thinstalled. You'll be amazed at what you can find. It's a virtual OS type thing. So you can basically make your own. Easy enough to do.

Tis Warezed. I have Photoshop running off a USB stick as well..

Yeah. It's great. Slow to load but piss fast otherwise. I use it a lot, usually when showing people how to use photoshop, which seems to be happening quite a lot lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back