What you been listening to this week? (1 Viewer)

Karp - Self Titled LP
Dinah Brand - I Can Walk Through
Polvo - In Prisim
AC Newman - Get Guilty
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Bottomless Pit - Bood Under The Bridge
Devo - As chosen by Eric
Loose fur - Loose Fur
Joan of Arse - Mating Under The Gallows
Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises
Z-Rock Hawaii
Melvins - The Bootlicker

This is my 4999th post - woaoh!

Now: Haushka - Foreign Landscapes. I saw him last night and it was stunning.
Earlier: Neu! 2
Protex - Strange Obsessions
The Johnstons: If I Sing My Song
Various: On the Up Beat (Kent northern soul comp)
Nomeansno: Small Parts Isolated and Destroyed
Velvet Underground: S/T
The Artwoods: Art Gallery
Moutpiece: S/T

VisionAir - Autumn ep
Brian Eno -Small Craft on a Milk Sea
- Another Green World
Laetitia Sadier - The Trip
Rollerskate Skinny - everything
Sun Airway - Nocturne of Exploded Crystal Chandelier
Portishead - Third
Strands - Strands
Solar Bears - She Was Coloured In

would it be bad form to de-rep everyone on the thread who doesn't at least tack on one measly sentence about one of the 12 artists they are listening to this week?

would it be bad form to de-rep everyone on the thread who doesn't at least tack on one measly sentence about one of the 12 artists they are listening to this week?

go for it,i knew you'd dislike this thread.
as for what i have been mostly listening to (i wont do all 12)

appalachian terror unit-environmental crust punk from virginny,pretty angry and with a message i wholeheartedly agree with.
balmorhea-i started a thread on these guys already,texan instrumentalists,extremely chilled out.
olafur arnalds-over talented icelandic kid who plays....modern classical i guess is the best description,well worth a look.
baroness-prog metal from georgia,cant stop listening to the blue record,some amazing guitar pieces on there.

check them all out.

good man ted - i'm already interested in olafur arnalds and baroness. i also knew i would dislike this thread, i held off for as long as i could.

olafur arnalds-over talented icelandic kid who plays....modern classical i guess is the best description,well worth a look.
baroness-prog metal from georgia,cant stop listening to the blue record,some amazing guitar pieces on there.

i like these two a lot. do you have both the red album and blue album of baroness?? I've just been streaming myspace so far.

brian mcbride - the effective disconnect. same wheel, different tread from half of stars of the lid. i was hoping for more bees, werner durand-style, if not the steve tucker/dave lombardo cut from cremaster 2.
the jesus lizard - head/goat/liar. finally got rips of these for the archos. no excuse needed.
autechre - peel session. milk dx, injake 2, drane, drane, drane.
the congress - discography. made a trade about 8 years ago for this stuff, finally came through two weeks ago, in person. 200+ 'songs' from eric cottonwood-stevenson (bloody hawaiians) and cash nexus (wckr spgt), two men who should have known better and, occasionally, did. completists only.
the extra lens - undercard. not unrelated to the congress, but made with more (suburbs) cash and more modest ambition. white-collar indie.
bastard noise - a culture of monsters. not unrelated to the congress, newest album with joel connell back in the throne. aquarius put it better than i could: "the whole record is a crushing downtuned post-punk avant prog powerviolence electronic kraut-dirge motherfucker, the songs lurch and swing and grind and blast and pound and pummel, bursts of double kick underpin shards of crackling electronic glitchery and analog skree"
bugskull - communication. not unrelated to the congress, lazarine reappearance from sean byrne & co last year (but recorded 1999) analog bleeps, drones and narcomelodies with the vocals in check.
bo hansson - ur trollkarlens hatt. unrelated to the congress, 1972 prog-jazz from half of hansson & karlsson. far out and slightly fucked, maybe it has more in common with the congress that i thought. r.i.p. bo.

The Sword: Gods of the Earth _ Terrible! - this is a band who try to emulate a great sound and don't seem to realise that the original music was driven by tunes, ideas etc..

Horrific Child: L'etrange monsieur Whinster _ reissue on Finders Keepers of this long lost masterpiece of horror library music

Area: Crac _ One of the jewels in the crown of Italian prog

Autechre: Move of Ten _ Feeling like a fogey for liking this less challenging material from Ae. They lost me after Confield

Sun City Girls: You're never alone with a cigarette _ very rocking SCG material here

Eyeless in Gaza: Orange Ice and Wax Crayons _ Album of unreleased material, maybe too sloppy or too poppy for their taste but it's still a wonderful record.

Right well, for ann post

AAAAAAnyway, just had a look there, i've mainly been playing the first 3 here but the last twelve albums were.....

Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band - Self Titled - Disco mixed with 40's swing but without being the gimmicky garbage that sounds like. BEST. ALBUM. EVER.

Bonnie Hayes & the Wild Combo - Good Clean Fun - Like the best of the Go Go's and the best of the Bangles playing at the same time, but better. The super cheesy artwork must have been the only thing that stopped this album.

Bonnie Hayes & the Wild Combo - Brave New Girl - A continuation of this. Added 1984 production so it's kind of Prince/Cyndi Lauper-y

Waitresses - Bruiseology - not as good as their first album, some of it is almost math-rocky in fact, I think they called that 'prog' back in the 80's. It's got Go Make the Weather though, their best song.

Throwing Muses - self titled (er, the 2003 one) -Consistently good, probably wouldn't make any new fans. Although Pandora's box is about as hooky as they get.

Sparks - Woofer in Tweeters Clothing - I prefers the first album but still, it's Sparks.

Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window - some is amazing. I do wonder what possessed them to have sooo many of those manic waltzes though.
Sgt. Pepper's could have done with another song or two like For the Benefit of Mr Kite, but not 8 more.

Janelle Monae - Archandroid - see elsewhere

Kool & the Gang - Live at the Sex Machine - good enough. not exactly world changing but good for what it is.

Love is All - Two Thousand and Ten Injuries - this type of noisy indie usually bores me but i really like this album, they all sound very excited.

Wendy & Lisa - Fruit at the Bottom - underrated without being anyone's favourite artists ever. I think this is my favourite album by them.

Cab Calloway - Are You Hep to the Jive? - A collection of Cab's silliest songs. The inlay includes a game for Everybody Eats at My House where you try and guess what each person eats, brilliant.

and then I just listened to Bonnie Hayes - Empty Sky, which wasn't great to be honest - A couple of great moments, it's all too dignified and AOR though. It's got some horrible 90's jazz-soul crap, the kind of thing that ended up being played by Vonda Shephard on Ally McBeal.

better?

Negative Approach-7"
The Now-into the '80's 7"
Fucked Up-couple tracks 7"
New Bomb Turks-pretty lightning 7"
Scientists-happy hour/swampland 7"
Deviated Instinct-rock n roll conformity lp
From Ashes Rise-silence lp
Sepultura-morbid visions/bestial devastations lp
Sepultura-under siege 12"
The Nerves-one way ticket lp
Montrose-lp
Fucked Up-year of the ox 12"
The Sweet-biggest hits lp

Cheap Trick-the latest cd
the Fix My Head-7"
The Rods-wild dogs lp
Double Negative-lp
Motorhead-bbc live &in session vol two 2xlp
Amebix-monolith lp
The Controllers-lp
His Hero Is Gone-monuments to thieves lp

the feelies - only life
real kids - real kids
paul westerberg - stereo/mono
RFTC - circa now
you am i - you am i
young fresh fellows - totally lost

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back