What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Frank. Thought this was alright. A bit meandering and plotless but quite funny in parts. The third act is a bit of a downer. Definitely the worst of Lenny Abrahamson's films that I've seen so far.
Frank_movie_poster.jpg

The Two Faces of January. I liked this a lot. An old fashioned, character driven, twisty thriller that makes great use of its stunning Greek locations. Viggo and Isaac spark off each other really well. Dunst, unfortunately, isn't given very much to do. Well worth a look.
quad2faces.jpg

Heli. Harrowing crime drama about a family man who unwittingly gets involved with a drug cartel in Mexico. Jesus this is grim stuff. Grim but compelling. There's a particularly awful torture scene about halfway through.
MV5BMTgwOTM0NjU2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTMyNjA1OQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

After Hours

after_hours__-_poster_1__1985_.jpg

Man pursues random woman he meets in coffee shop late at night. ends up in SoHo, Manhattan. Loads of crazy stuff happens. Liked it. Enjoyable 90 minute movie

After Hours

after_hours__-_poster_1__1985_.jpg

Man pursues random woman he meets in coffee shop late at night. ends up in SoHo, Manhattan. Loads of crazy stuff happens. Liked it. Enjoyable 90 minute movie
Deadly film. You should try vampire's kiss with Nic cage if you liked this. It's written by the same guy and has the same sort of weird, creepy not quite comedy, not quite horror vibe. Also Cage's best performance.
Vampire's Kiss (1988) - IMDb

Deadly film. You should try vampire's kiss with Nic cage if you liked this. It's written by the same guy and has the same sort of weird, creepy not quite comedy, not quite horror vibe. Also Cage's best performance.
Woah, I never knew they were the same writer. One is hilariously bad, the other just plain hilarious. I get a lot of shit for this stance but After Hours is actually my favourite Scorsese movie. Absolutely love it

Woah, I never knew they were the same writer. One is hilariously bad, the other just plain hilarious. I get a lot of shit for this stance but After Hours is actually my favourite Scorsese movie. Absolutely love it
You don't like Vampire's Kiss.

Mean Streets or Taxi Driver for me. Taxi Driver pips it because I think De Niro’s Bickle is probably the single greatest performance in film.

You don't like Vampire's Kiss.

Mean Streets or Taxi Driver for me. Taxi Driver pips it because I think De Niro’s Bickle is probably the single greatest performance in film.
I adore Vampire's Kiss but in a different way to After Hours. I would extend a fair bit more gravitas to the latter even though both deliciously fly off the handle.

Out of interest what makes After Hours so good to you?

I watched it a while back and just felt like I was watching hundreds of New York in-jokes I didn't get. Not saying it was in any way bad, just left me feeling a bit clueless.

(sure you too @hermie)

Out of interest what makes After Hours so good to you?

I watched it a while back and just felt like I was watching hundreds of New York in-jokes I didn't get. Not saying it was in any way bad, just left me feeling a bit clueless.

(sure you too @hermie)
It’s appealing to me for many reasons – I like films set in New York, I like black comedies, I like the 1980s. I like the tone, which deftly balances comedy and horror. It’s funny, creepy, skilfully directed and the camerawork is ace. The writer has a great ear for dialogue and the performances are engaging.

Cool, Cool. Not sure I agree it does all that but, to be honest, I'm so clueless about films I'm willing to pass it off as my opinion myself if i get the chance.

Cool, Cool. Not sure I agree it does all that but, to be honest, I'm so clueless about films I'm willing to pass it off as my opinion myself if i get the chance.
Well, I always just think of that great David Mamet quote: "Mixed martial arts was invented by Brazilians, whose families had been trained by the Japanese. Those Brazilians came to the U.S., where their invention was bought out, gussied up and presented to the world, which found it good."

Watched two documentaries on Netflix:

Girl Rising
girl-rising-2-crop.png

pretty deec, kind of madly Hollywood-ised, but I like the idea. Its a bunch of stories about girls in education/ or not in education as it were, around the globe, all narrated by a celebrity. The cool idea is that they have the section - which is pretty much recreation, though mostly starrting the real girls - written by a writer from the girls area. Some are cool, like straight up documentary style, some are half animated, and so on. Lots of voice over and some of them kinda fall flat, but its a badass organisation.

Half the Sky

HalfTheSkyDVD-F.jpg

Same idea, but over 6 hours, and totally documentary with no recreation. Each episode again focuses on a different area for the world and one particular area in which women are oppressed- so they do rape, education, child trafficking etc. It had me in floods of tears pretty much the whole way through. The cool thing is each section focuses on a woman who is working in that area, and the awesome work she does, so you get kind of a positive vibe at the end even though its realistic and hard hitting

ANYWAY I ENJOYED BOTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back