What movie did you watch last night? (16 Viewers)

"The trope of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a fundamentally sexist one, since it makes women seem less like autonomous, independent entities than appealing props to help mopey, sad white men self-actualize"

It could also be argued that the trope of "mopey, sad white men (who need to) self-actualize" is also a fundamentally sexist one

It could be argued, but fuck it, let's not.

"The trope of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a fundamentally sexist one, since it makes women seem less like autonomous, independent entities than appealing props to help mopey, sad white men self-actualize"

It could also be argued that the trope of "mopey, sad white men (who need to) self-actualize" is also a fundamentally sexist one

It could be argued, but fuck it, let's not.
I don't think it's really up for debate that there is an abundance of mopey white guys writing for the movies and television. Nor that very often they write main protagonists who, at least, closely resemble themselves. I don't think "sad white guy" is really that reductive a term nor that it's limiting in that it can incorporate Larry David or Louis CK or Charlie Kaufman in Adaptation to name a few. But I do like how he's questioning the very piece that made him famous when it wrongly lumps a character like Annie Hall in with Zooey in 500 Days of Summer et al.

I watched Good Will Hunting last night

: (
Goodwill HAUNTING
wlEmoticon-ghost.png
wlEmoticon-ghost.png
wlEmoticon-ghost.png
wlEmoticon-ghost.png

too soon

he was sometimes great and sometimes awful

I don't know where the point where watching him improv went from funny to cringey, but it happened.

There's a pretty good interview with him here where he has it dialed way down and talks about everything, including contemplating suicide.
It also has the best Robert DeNiro story I have ever heard.

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast

Recently I've watched..

Hansel & Gretel:Witch Hunters...wasnt my idea..my 8 y/o daughter recommended it..wasnt hoping for much ..but man its pretty decent!
Its completely absurd but a bitta craic. 5.5/10

Jaws ..say no more.7.8/10

Frankenweenie ..didnt know it was a Tim Burton movie till I pressed play.Pack it in Tim.Let someone else have a shot.(Although I did like the dog and cat) 3/10

Jaws is the best film ever made

I say that because it was the only videotape in a house I rented on Martha's Vineyard and I dragged a TV out onto the porch to watch it with a girl I was hopelessly in love with, while we drank drank wine and did our own commentary for the whole movie.

The Godfather is probably better though.

I watched The Expendables 3.
It's great fun. Much better than the second one, which was fairly shite despite funny stuff like Chuck Norris.
There are some hilarious lines in the film, naturally. Arnie gets some of them, naturally.
Surprisingly though, this is great, Antonio Banderas steals the show. He is fucking classssss in this film. Like really really classssss. What a legend!

I watched The Expendables 3.
It's great fun. Much better than the second one, which was fairly shite despite funny stuff like Chuck Norris.
There are some hilarious lines in the film, naturally. Arnie gets some of them, naturally.
Surprisingly though, this is great, Antonio Banderas steals the show. He is fucking classssss in this film. Like really really classssss. What a legend!
Remember him in Assassins ? Gold.

"You have to pull the trigger in a different way"

Amazing.

I don't know where the point where watching him improv went from funny to cringey, but it happened.

There's a pretty good interview with him here where he has it dialed way down and talks about everything, including contemplating suicide.
It also has the best Robert DeNiro story I have ever heard.

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast
Speaking of De Niro..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back