What movie did you watch last night? (3 Viewers)

The Grand Budapest Hotel. Absolutely loved it. What a beautiful, funny and charming film. The best I've seen this year. Willem Dafoe cracked me up. Up there with The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic as his best.

Yeah, saw it today. Definitely my favourite since Royal Tenenbaums. It looked amazing and was paced really well (for the first 50 mins at any rate). Still don't think it will convert the Wes Anderson haters though.

Loved the way everyone kept their real life accents, including this lass

tumblr_n22xvrDXrV1ssitayo1_400.gif

Yeah, saw it today. Definitely my favourite since Royal Tenenbaums. It looked amazing and was paced really well (for the first 50 mins at any rate). Still don't think it will convert the Wes Anderson haters though.

Yeah she's a star in the making. Harvey Keitel is deadly in it.

Saving Mr Banks. Not the film I thought it was going to be based on the trailer and was actually really good.

Inside Llewyn Davis. I have no fucking clue what this film was about. Very enjoyable though.

Blue is the warmest colour. Actually had no idea what this was about, just constantly saw people raving about it and it turned up on Netflix.
There's a lot more expected of actors these days isn't there?

She's gas craic in interviews as well, will go over well with the Jennifer Lawrence fans. I ran into her in the lobby of a film viewing she was at a while back and was totally starstuck.

In the making? She's already been nominated for an Oscar. Also Rushmore trumps all his others for me. Looking forward to this now.

I agree. To be honest I find him to be quite hit and miss. I like that and The Royal Tenebaums, and I seem to remember enjoying The Squid And The Whale, that was a bit of a change of pace. Thought Bottle Rocket was terrible.

Looking at the trailers I thought the film looked insufferable and had planned on giving it a miss, but the unrelenting waves of positivity in response to it from people who I'd at least credit with knowing their shit is making me reconsider.

I agree. To be honest I find him to be quite hit and miss. I like that and The Royal Tenebaums, and I seem to remember enjoying The Squid And The Whale, that was a bit of a change of pace. Thought Bottle Rocket was terrible.

Looking at the trailers I thought the film looked insufferable and had planned on giving it a miss, but the unrelenting waves of positivity in response to it from people who I'd at least credit with knowing their shit is making me reconsider.
The Squid and the Whale is Noah Baumbach. Anderson only produced.

I don't think it's going to win any converts. It’s his most Wes Anderson film to date! I’ve loved everything he’s done except for The Darjeeling Limited.

I loved that film.

Anthony: You told, you told your friend Bernice I'm some kind of jet pilot?
Grace: What was I supposed to say, they stuck you in an insane asylum?
Anthony: It wasn't an insane asylum, Grace. I explained to you back then that it was for exhaustion.
Grace: Exhaustion?
Anthony: Yes, exhaustion.
Grace: You haven't worked a day in your life. How could you be exhausted?

I watched 300: Rise of Gerard Butler the other day.
This film is alright. The action scenes are pretty cool, most things in between the action scenes are a load of nonsense (the dialogue, for instance).
There are loads of people getting killed in cool ways with CGI blood everywhere, which is quite fun.
There is a completely ludicrous 'sex' scene, but you get to see Eva Green's boobs, so hooray for that and all.
Of course, the best bits of this film are the roughly 10 seconds or so which consist of flashbacks to Gerard Butler looking mental with a big beard.
So basically, Gerard Butler is the best thing about this film, and he's in it for about 10 seconds.
Overall, good laugh of a film, surprisingly decent music score, lots of violence, some riding, woeful dialogue, nonsensical plot, you get the idea.
6/10, Eva Green gets 10/10 of course.

Squid and the Whale was Noah Baumbach, has fuck all to do with Wes Anderson and is all the better for it.

The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I was disappointed.

Wasn't comedic or dramatic or thrilling. It was just an amusing diversion.
Actually most of the comedy seemed to be aimed at hearing characters from the period swear like it was 2014. Which wasn't funny.
I loved Fiennes, though, and I thought he really got better and better as the film went on. Phenomenal performance. But there were no lols really and it was just all a bit flat, despite it looking gorgeous and being undeniably full of charm.
Harvery Keitel was great, mind. Mathieu Almaric and Bill Murray were wasted. And I do not come to a Wes Anderson film to see Jude Law. Bad start, that.

Life Aquatic is still my favourite.

I was thinking of PSH today and going through his list of films, I've seen nearly every one. I'll have to give in and watch Mission Impossible at some point but I had forgotten about Nobody's Fool. Great Book. Decent film. Then I remembered this scene (without PSH), which made me laugh. Seriously, everything is online, I should stop being amazed. At any rate, I might need to fire this up on Netflix because it's been years.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Plus, that actor reminded me of this film where he owns the local pub. Might need to watch this one too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back