• Replies 33
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 0

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I heard that the head Kinihan guy is a billionaire, and was thinking about that over the weekend

€100k per year is an upper-middle-class salary in Ireland - PO in the civil service or TD or principal of a big school (socialjustice.ie counts €100k/year as the lower boundary of "rich")

To make a billion quid with a salary of €100k/annum will take you ten thousand years

I don't think I'd really realised just how rich actually rich people are before

I heard that the head Kinihan guy is a billionaire, and was thinking about that over the weekend

€100k per year is an upper-middle-class salary in Ireland - PO in the civil service or TD or principal of a big school (socialjustice.ie counts €100k/year as the lower boundary of "rich")

To make a billion quid with a salary of €100k/annum will take you ten thousand years

I don't think I'd really realised just how rich actually rich people are before
Is that the one in Dubai? I'm confused about how you launder that amount of money but I guess if it's a tax free coutry you dont need to.
My Dad made friends with some kinda dodgy Russian business guys that moved to Dubai (they were based in Thailand and Lebanon when he met them, he's too chatty with strangers), so the sand must be more white than brown at this stage.

I get that we have billionaires, like i'm glad if Paul McCartney is one

The problem is that we don't have decent healthcare and other basics

Like can we have working universal healthcare and a flourishing super yacht industry?

There's always a balance to strike
People are often/always self-motivated
The FInns are doing a good job it seems

I get that we have billionaires, like i'm glad if Paul McCartney is one

The problem is that we don't have decent healthcare and other basics

Like can we have working universal healthcare and a flourishing super yacht industry?

There's always a balance to strike
People are often/always self-motivated
The FInns are doing a good job it seems

You’re glad Paul McCartney is a billionaire?!

No one should be a billionaire

You’re glad Paul McCartney is a billionaire?!

No one should be a billionaire
I don't find these simple bromides useful in real life tbh.

McCartney increased the sum of human happiness in the world by a decent click. Here, have your billion.

Whoever the team that just started that sickle cell gene therapy treatment - they can have a billion.
Nice work, guys.
Like you'd have let Jonas Salk have it, if he'd have taken a penny from you.

The FInns have their share of billionaires and they're making it work.

We can agree to disagree though.

I don't think the fact that some billionaires deserve it makes it ok ... but either way it really doesn't matter whether I think it's ok or not, right?

I just think the size of the disparity is kind of amazing. I don't care that someone has a yacht and I don't, but money equals power and I care that a single billionaire has as much power as a decent-sized town full of regular folks

... though the other thing that's kinda boggling my mind about this is how this has always been a feature of human civilisations. We mostly got rid of royalty, but we still have unelected fellow citizens with many orders of magnitude more power than the rest of us. It's weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back