[UH OH! PLOT SPOILERS!]Donnie Darko (1 Viewer)

don't read this if you don't want me to spoil the plot

Saw this last night - I really enjoyed it, but am stumped for an explanation of what happened in it - ok, he's haunted by something he is to do at a future date (kill Frank) - big countdown to that moment - he does it - the narrative then goes all out of sequence - having killed Frank, he goes back to the start of the film and is killed by the jet engine - the same engine he was saved from by frank earlier - had frank not saved him, he couldn't have been alive long enough to kill him.

Has it something to do with having to fulfill some sense of destiny before dying with a smile on your face or am I on the wrong bus altogether?

I've counted on all my fingers and toes and have no idea what the linkages are.

Little help?

The Tangent Universe
The Primary Universe is fraught with great peril. War, plague, famine and natural disaster are common. Death comes to us all.

The Fourth Dimension of Time is a stable construct, though it is not impenetrable.

Incidents when the fabric of the fourth dimension becomes corrupted are incredibly rare.

If a Tangent Universe occurs, it will be highly unstable, sustaining itself for no longer than several weeks.

Eventually it will collapse upon itself, forming a black hole within the Primary Universe capable of destroying all existence.

Water and Metal
Water and Metal are the elements of Time Travel.

Water is the barrier element for the construction of Time Portals used as gateways between Universes at the Tangent Vortex.

Metal is the transitional element for the construction of Artifact Vessels.

Artifacts returned to the Primary Universe are often linked to religious iconography, as their appearance on Earth seems to defy logical explanation.

Divine intervention is deemed the only logical conclusion for the appearance of the Artifact.

It's all in here: http://www.tangent-universe.org/time-travel.en.html

notice swayze copping a feel from the kid at the start in the video?

MD ro; you got to see the film again;i think you are too confused.

basically; he has to sacrifice himslef in order to save his sister and mother;evidence suggests that the sister wouldnt have gone on the plane;but even if she had; the mother wouldnt have and the PE teacher-what an actress!-would have perished.

he laughed at his impending death cos it was funny.

the only downfall is that he wouldnt expose patrick swayze-since he's dead.

im going to see the film again sometime next week.
then i shalll buy it and clerks on cdwow.ie

Originally posted by Gar
basically; he has to sacrifice himslef in order to save his sister and mother;evidence suggests that the sister wouldnt have gone on the plane;but even if she had; the mother wouldnt have and the PE teacher-what an actress!-would have perished.

Noooo. He has to sacrifice himself to save the world!

PS: Donnie is Jesus.

bah

the movie is a variation on An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge. It's what goes through a schizophrenic boy's head in the fraction of a second between seeing a jet engine crashing through his roof and death.

Note the wish fulfillment (getting a girlfriend, exposing someone he despises as a paedophile, having the sex). Note the convoluted attempt to make sense of his impending death, and even to make it meaningful. Bah.

Re: bah

Originally posted by kstop
the movie is a variation on An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge. It's what goes through a schizophrenic boy's head in the fraction of a second between seeing a jet engine crashing through his roof and death.

Note the wish fulfillment (getting a girlfriend, exposing someone he despises as a paedophile, having the sex). Note the convoluted attempt to make sense of his impending death, and even to make it meaningful. Bah.

Hmm... that's a good interpretation. Pretty complex dream, though, eh? The thing about the film is it's impossible to know for sure, but yeah, the whole thing could be a dream.

All the same, dreams are always 'about' something.

I got the BTTF trilogy, too. .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..|

Y'see... the problem here is that you're all thinking in terms of the storyline of this film being traditionally coherent.

Think of it like this.... you get a board of some sort... not a bulletin board... maybe a side of a Kellogg's Cornflakes box..... it's flat....

Now, at one end mark a point A, and at the other end mark a point B. You would assume that the distance between point A and point B is the length of the sheet of card. However, if you bend the card, creating a cylindrical shape, then point A and point B will be right beside eachother. In fact they could be on top of eachother. So it is possible to make the distance between them almost nothing - by bending the board.

Equate this board with linear time, and then wormholes start to make sense. Wormholes and bending the fourth dimension are physical realities... just something we haven't properly digested... in Donnie Darko we must acknowledge that in fiction everything is possible and everything makes sense

Herv, sorry if I spoiled the plot on you, but believe me, if you go see it, you'll be none the wiser for having read my earlier post.

Hey, how come I can post from work? All this time I couldn't, and now when I try to apologise to Herv, it works. Mmmmm, I can feel my productivity going through the floor.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Hey, how come I can post from work? All this time I couldn't, and now when I try to apologise to Herv, it works. Mmmmm, I can feel my productivity going through the floor.
You in work then? Busy? IF not I might give you a buzz. As in a phone call. No illicit substances here sir!

Yessum, I'm in work all week, except tomorrow. A little bit of hair and skin flying in here but much, much less than usual. Give us a buzz if you like, though i won't have anything funny to say.

Hey, look at me I'm posting on thumped from work! (suddenly personnel officer kicks down the door and I'm hauled off to spend the rest of my career filing.)

Maybe your firewall thingy has gone down over the Christmas and the guy who should be looking after that whole side of things is off dossing...enjoy it while it lasts

The IFC are showing this film for another week. I might just go along as I've forgotten most of it.

On another note, they're showing Avalon from January 10th. Meant to go see this ages ago, read lots of good reviews about it.

If the whole film's a flash-forward as he's about to die, how come some of the scenes don't involve him? e.g. Drew Barrymore getting fired and his parents being told he's schizophrenic
And he's never met Gretchen at that point, but she does exist ...
And Gretchen recognises his Ma at the end, even though they've never met ...

Originally posted by egg_
If the whole film's a flash-forward as he's about to die, how come some of the scenes don't involve him? e.g. Drew Barrymore getting fired and his parents being told he's schizophrenic

Is it impossible to imagine a scenario without putting yourself in it? Are you in all your dreams?

And he's never met Gretchen at that point, but she does exist ...

If she's just moved into his neighbourhood, maybe he saw her around.

And Gretchen recognises his Ma at the end, even though they've never met ...

No she doesn't, she just waves at her coz she's sensitive, like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back