Trap calls up James McCarthy (1 Viewer)

Luther Blissett

Trapattoni names squad for Brazil game: Giovanni Trapattoni today named a 23-man squad ahead of the Republic of Ireland’s international friendly against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium in London on Tuesday, March 2nd. The Italian has called-up James McCarthy, Greg Cunningham and Marc Wilson for the first time.

Wigan teenager McCarthy (19) received his first call after a series of promising performances for the Latics, who he joined from Scottish side Hamilton last summer.

Finally! I take it this means that McCarthy hasn't decided to play for Scotland as a number of papers had been suggesting? Although I suppose he could always do a Shane Duffy and decline the offer:

Soccer: Shane Duffy has withdrawn from the Northern Ireland squad for a forthcoming friendly with Albania after deciding to change his allegiance to the Republic of Ireland.

The 18-year-old Everton defender, born in Derry, had been expected to win his first cap for Northern Ireland in Tirana next month.

Instead, Duffy has informed Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington he wishes to play for the Republic.

Duffy, who has made two appearances for Everton in the Europa League this season, had come through the underage system with Northern Ireland and was captain of the under-19s before graduating to the under-21s.

His decision is similar to that of fellow Derry native Darron Gibson. The Manchester United midfielder also declared for the Republic as a senior international having previously played with Northern Ireland at underage levels.

McCarthy could be a very important player for us in a couple of years time. I hope it's what he really wants to do and he's not just sticking with us over Scotland to spite them for ignoring him at underage level or out of fear of disappointing people. We're lucky that the flow of dual-eligibility players always seems to work in our favour. Weird that Trap picked Greg Cunningham who's only had 45 minutes for Man City in an FA Cup game and ignored Stephen Ward who's held down the left-back spot at Wolves all year.

mccarthy declared for ireland are a really young age, i remember talk of him at 15 and he was already decided he was an iriahman then, rather than ascot. maybe it's the same deal as mcgeady? maybe there's some sectarian hangover from the old days, who knows, but as far as i know, he's always wanted to play in green and that's why he wasn't in any scotland underage team. helooks a decent player, though, that's crucial.

what's the other everton full back called...dublin lad? i was hoping trap would mx it up a bit and lose some of the dead weight. if andrews is good enough, why not keith fahey? owen garven? maybe he's just being cautious cos it's brazil.

any word on jamie o'hara's eligability? cos he's pretty good.

what's the other everton full back called...dublin lad? i was hoping trap would mx it up a bit and lose some of the dead weight. if andrews is good enough, why not keith fahey? owen garven? maybe he's just being cautious cos it's brazil.

Seamus Coleman.. think he's from Donegal though. Hopefully he'll be in the May squad for the Algeria\Paraguay games along with Fahey, Ward, the two Reids and a few others. I think the Brazil game is seen more as a one-off 'reward' for the team that played the last campaign with a sprinkling of new lads brought in.

I'd love to see Keith Fahey get a call-up. In fairness, he has hardly started for Birmingham on their good run but has made some excellent contributions off the bench.

The other Everton player is Seamus Coleman. Again, he hasn't started much but Cunningham has hardly played at all for City. Very strange selection there.

Trap is weird.

Trap is weird. While I don't think managers should ever pander to players, I imagine Stephen Ward is feeling pretty dejected today. The May friendlies should be interesting.
Great news with Shane Duffy of Everton declaring for us yesterday though. There's every chance he'll develop into a quality centre-half and he's at the perfect club in the Prem to achieve that, in my opinion.

Yeah I was really excited to see Duffy and Coleman are Irish. They've both turned in excellent performances in Europe this season. Duffy is fucking huge so he will hopefully develop into a rock to replace Dunne. Unfortunately he probably won't partner Dunne and we'll be stuck with that fucking Useless McShane cunt for a while.

Yeah I was really excited to see Duffy and Coleman are Irish. They've both turned in excellent performances in Europe this season. Duffy is fucking huge so he will hopefully develop into a rock to replace Dunne. Unfortunately he probably won't partner Dunne and we'll be stuck with that fucking Useless McShane cunt for a while.

Richie probably has 4 or 5 years left in him yet.

Yeah but IMO in general center halves don't usually reach a full maturity stage til around 25 which is in 5 years. If you know what I mean. He probably won't be our first choice center half til Dunnes on his way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back