Tour de France 2007 thread (1 Viewer)

Roubaix winner Alison Jackson (EF) crashed in Tour de France Femmes today with over 50 km left.
When her bike was on the ground the back wheel was still spinning around and she had to stop it with her foot.

The commissars need to be ready to check the EF bikes at the finish.
19 km left now - let's see what happens...
Alison Jackson's crash is @1:13-1:47 maybe this was nothing? I haven't seen anyone else flag this.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great win for Liane Lippert, a consistent nearly woman (2nd in 2023 Fleche Wallonne etc.) who had not won a race since early 2020. Reminds me a bit C.U-L beating Vos last year.
SD Worx looked a bit vulnerable for once and they didn't use Reusser well.

Eva Van Agt had a horrible (off camera) crash while leading near the end.

Alison Jackson's crash is @1:13-1:47 maybe this was nothing? I haven't seen anyone else flag this.

Great win for Liane Lippert, a consistent nearly woman (2nd in 2023 Fleche Wallonne etc.) who had not won a race since early 2020. Reminds me a bit C.U-L beating Vos last year.
SD Worx looked a bit vulnerable for once and they didn't use Reusser well.

Eva Van Agt had a horrible (off camera) crash while leading near the end.

definitely not nothing. If it was slowly spinning, maybe, but that was spinning fast and not slowing itself.

good spot. If The Clinic was still a thing they'd be all over this.

Ryder Hesjedal crashes in the Vuelta and his bike spins around on the ground

definitely not nothing. If it was slowly spinning, maybe, but that was spinning fast and not slowing itself.

good spot. If The Clinic was still a thing they'd be all over this.
Looked at cyclingnews forums and no one mentioned it as of last night.
Either on TdFF 2023 thread or The clinic doping forum.

Not able to watch stage live today unfortunately.

The mods on the cycling forum on boards (which includes me) have taken a decision to allow doping talk, but in a dedicated thread. Since I don't really follow the sport, I probably won't be contributing much.

last three stages of TdFF were cool. riders in maybe top 50 in the world - but not big stars - won the day.

Tourmalet on Saturday and TT on Sunday.
I'm not a big believer in the handful of riders who are the absolute elite in women's cycling, and it was them that won out in the end. Vollering, Nieudoma, Van Vleuten, etc.

I didn't follow the race closely but it seemed a far better race overall than the mens, which was contested by 2 cheats.

Cecile only managed 29th overall? That makes me like her all the more.

I'm not a big believer in the handful of riders who are the absolute elite in women's cycling, and it was them that won out in the end. Vollering, Nieudoma, Van Vleuten, etc.

I didn't follow the race closely but it seemed a far better race overall than the mens, which was contested by 2 cheats.

Cecile only managed 29th overall? That makes me like her all the more.
Cecilie was 8th on GC at TdFF. never near winning a stage or remotely close to getting on GC podium.
Not quite at her 2022 level all year - currently 20th in world rankings after several years in top 10.

Cecilie was 8th on GC at TdFF. never near winning a stage or remotely close to getting on GC podium.
Not quite at her 2022 level all year - currently 20th in world rankings after several years in top 10.
not sure where I got 29th from. I thought I saw it flash up on a graphic during some brief coverage that I saw.

Still though, didn't someone say that you have to drop to around 10th before you have a chance of finding a clean rider? Maybe its 8th in this case.

not sure where I got 29th from. I thought I saw it flash up on a graphic during some brief coverage that I saw.

Still though, didn't someone say that you have to drop to around 10th before you have a chance of finding a clean rider? Maybe its 8th in this case.
probably 29th on the TT stage before final riders went out.
that would tally with 36th C.U-L got on final stage.

a Matt Stephens interview with Niewiadoma after the Tourmalet stage was cool.
Kasia N. (exhausted sitting on the ground) says no one in particular or herself:
''What the fuck?''
interview starts...
she managed to say ''fuck'' two more times before Matt asked her to be careful with her words.

my favourite moments of the men's TdF was the penultimate stage in the Vosges stage where Thibaut Pinot went all in on home roads in his final Tour stage. Huge crowds going crazy for the most likeable GT contender of his generation and one France's nicest lads.
back in 2012 Pinot won the first mountain stage of his debut Tour in the Vosges. Marc Madiot was going nuts leaning out of the car shouting at him coming into the finish.
this time MM was in tears hugging Thibaut after a great effort.
7th place on the stage and 11th on GC was a nice way to say goodbye.

also the Matej Mohoric interview after his win. he is flying in the Tour of Poland now.

probably 29th on the TT stage before final riders went out.
that would tally with 36th C.U-L got on final stage.

a Matt Stephens interview with Niewiadoma after the Tourmalet stage was cool.
Kasia N. (exhausted sitting on the ground) says no one in particular or herself:
''What the fuck?''
interview starts...
she managed to say ''fuck'' two more times before Matt asked her to be careful with her words.

my favourite moments of the men's TdF was the penultimate stage in the Vosges stage where Thibaut Pinot went all in on home roads in his final Tour stage. Huge crowds going crazy for the most likeable GT contender of his generation and one France's nicest lads.
back in 2012 Pinot won the first mountain stage of his debut Tour in the Vosges. Marc Madiot was going nuts leaning out of the car shouting at him coming into the finish.
this time MM was in tears hugging Thibaut after a great effort.
7th place on the stage and 11th on GC was a nice way to say goodbye.

also the Matej Mohoric interview after his win. he is flying in the Tour of Poland now.
I probably mentioned it before, but I met Pinot out cycling in Gran Canaria one year. When I say I met him, I was cycling up a huge climb with a mate of mine, when Pinot and 3 other FdJ lads powered by us like we were standing still. It was close to a plateau, and when we got there, the lads were getting water from their van so had stopped for a bit. We stopped too. We weren't chatting to them or anything, but they seemed decent. Just normal lads. Full of the drugs maybe! Morabito and Tobias Luvigson were 2 of the others. I never found out who the 4th was.

I didn't see the Mohoric interview. But I'm a bit put off any Slovenian cyclists these days, for obvious reasons. Even though each and every one of them seem like thoroughly decent humans. But they are clearly all cheats.

I probably mentioned it before, but I met Pinot out cycling in Gran Canaria one year. When I say I met him, I was cycling up a huge climb with a mate of mine, when Pinot and 3 other FdJ lads powered by us like we were standing still. It was close to a plateau, and when we got there, the lads were getting water from their van so had stopped for a bit. We stopped too. We weren't chatting to them or anything, but they seemed decent. Just normal lads. Full of the drugs maybe! Morabito and Tobias Luvigson were 2 of the others. I never found out who the 4th was.

I didn't see the Mohoric interview. But I'm a bit put off any Slovenian cyclists these days, for obvious reasons. Even though each and every one of them seem like thoroughly decent humans. But they are clearly all cheats.
Yeah - Forgot that story!
You've met a few of the peloton out there.
Hard to believe any elite pros aren't doped now, sadly.

Last edited:
Bruno Meali (1937 - 3 August 2023)
Meali rode for many of Italy's best teams in the 60s. He won three Giro stages, a string of semi classics and was national road champion in 1963.

next to zero interest in the worlds given the usual suspects dominated. Though I was pleasantly surprised to see how well 2 of the Latvians did.

It was a total bust for Ireland. Not one rider finished, which isn't that surprising in itself in a one-day race, but they DNF'd way before the end.

I think they should bring in penalties for riders DNF'ing just because they've had enough. If they crash out, fair enough. If the doctor OK's the DNF, then ok. But otherwise they should have to finish or suffer some consequences.

Yeah - Skujins and Neilands (both sic) put in a great effort.
Amazing that neither has ever won anything major.

Disaster for Belgium. Their strongest era since 1970s, had four riders left at front when rivals had no more than two and still no gold.

Remco actually looked good for most of race and rode to finish 10 mins down.
It is just accepted part of Worlds that big countries use up domestiques earlier in race unfortunately.

Remember Roche in 87? did Trojan work for Kelly throughout and still took his chance at the end.

MVDP just followed wheels and was very quiet until he attacked after they reeled in Bettiol (who gave it his all and made race interesting too).
But with just one attack MVDP finished off the other three best one day riders.
He is finally getting tactical nous.

Last edited:
Cesare Cipollini (1958 -10 August 2023)
Older brother of Mario has died aged 64.
Cesare was a pro from 1978-1990. He rode the Giro 9 times and the Vuelta once. Cesare's only big win was the 1983 Giro d'Emilia.
Mario would mention Cesare sometimes.
Apart from this I knew little else about him.

Cesare's Italian and particularly French language wiki articles paint a picture of an unfulfilled talent.
Coming from a hardcore cycling family (father Vivaldo was a good amateur and sister Tiziana is mentioned as one of Italy's best racers) Cesare won often as a junior.
He was the youngest cyclist at the 1976 Olympics aged only 17, riding the team pursuit along with 18 y.o. Giuseppe Saronni.
Considered one of Italy's best prospects of Saronni and Visentini's era Cesare didn't really adapt to the pro peloton. He and Mario were team mates at Del Tongo in 1989 during his debut pro season.
Cesare's French wiki also says he was critical of doping in rare interviews after retirement.

Like Mario, Cesare had heart problems (resulting in a transplant). His son Eduardo (b. 2005) is a promising junior.

EDIT: fixed a few typos...

Last edited:
Those drugs were just resting in his account.

Ah no, he's a very naughty man, and we ARE very cross with him indeed, but that's all water a long way under the bridge now, and in a lot of ways what is time? You can never truly step in the same river twice, as a wiser man than I said. Can't we just let bygones be bygones? And it was a different time, a different generation you understand.

In realityy he wasn't so much a team doctor as a rogue agent, very much separate from the team, operating by himself, talking to suspicious looking swarthy Italian looking men now that I think about it. More of a coffee boy, on a contractual basis.

We barely knew the guy. Anyway it was all so very, very long ago, and it's a relief to have that chapter well and truly closed now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back