Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

TT Just finished.
Most embarrassingly doped performance I have ever seen in cycling.
Epic level of pisstaking.

Let the social media pile on commence.
Fuck this crap.

EDIT:
I repeatedly thought he was going to crash he was going fast from the gun.
I hit that point with cycling about 6 years ago. Welcome to the other side my friend!

Jesus. That's a bit hard to understand.
Pogacar annihilated everyone. And then Vingegaard blows by Pogacar's effort like he's a cat 2.

It's dubious looking. What were his numbers? This is outlandish. Like, more than a minute 30?? On Pogacar who had a good day and tore up the field.

Damn. Yeah, a little hard to believe maybe.

Jesus. That's a bit hard to understand.
Pogacar annihilated everyone. And then Vingegaard blows by Pogacar's effort like he's a cat 2.

It's dubious looking. What were his numbers? This is outlandish. Like, more than a minute 30?? On Pogacar who had a good day and tore up the field.

Damn. Yeah, a little hard to believe maybe.
everyone always gets a pass for the last TT though. They say that most of the field treat it like a rest day and only the GC contenders and those going for the stage (and they never used to be the same riders), take it seriously.

but that was batshit bonkers. motorbike stuff

Stage 16 Time Trial result (w/ lots of climbing inc. summit finish. Including average speeds for each rider)
Vingegaard speed was 41.227 km

2nd place Pogacar @ 1:38 speed was 39.260 km so JV was going nearly 2 kmph faster
- about 4.375 secs per km?

3rd W. Van Aert @ 2:51 speed was 37.913 kmph. so he was about over 7.6 secs per km slower.

Sorry if I my maths on km per second is wrong. not a strong point.

only the top 15 riders managed over 37kmph.

When Vingegaard started he shot off in the first few hundred metres like nothing I have ever seen.
I fully expected him to crack at some stage.
After 4 km it came on screen he was already 21 secs ahead of WVA. Like McEwen on commentary I dismissed this as a mistake - it wasn't.
The only thing that impressed me was Vingegaard's bike handling. It was amazing he could ride so fast and not crash.
Vingegaard had won one TT before yesterday in O Gran Camino (Tour of Galicia basically) earlier this year.
FTR that day he beat Rohan Dennis by 35 secs over 18.1 km.

At the start of the stage I expected Pogacar to win the stage and be in yellow by a max of 20 seconds.

The Eurosport crew just weren't going to question how absurd this was at all.
I don't have ITV but was talking to someone who said they were more openly stunned said they couldn't understand how JV went so fast. Not sure who is on there (Boardman, D. Millar? Pippa York sometimes?)

Hopefully there is next generation of Kimmage, Walsh or Ballester investigating this already.
Numbers man Antoine Vayer must be having a field day with Vingegaard's power output.

Social media reaction must have interesting to say the least....

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

Vingegaard speed was 41.227 km

2nd place Pogacar @ 1:38 speed was 39.260 km so JV was going nearly 2 kmph faster
- about 4.375 secs per km?

3rd W. Van Aert @ 2:51 speed was 37.913 kmph. so he was about over 7.6 secs per km slower.

Sorry if I my maths on km per second is wrong. not a strong point.

only the top 15 riders managed over 37kmph.

When Vingegaard started he shot off in the first few hundred metres like nothing I have ever seen.
I fully expected him to crack at some stage.
After 4 km it came on screen he was already 21 secs ahead of WVA. Like McEwen on commentary I dismissed this as a mistake - it wasn't.
The only thing that impressed me was Vingegaard's bike handling. It was amazing he could ride so fast and not crash.
Vingegaard had won one TT before yesterday in O Gran Camino (Tour of Galicia basically) earlier this year.
FTR that day he beat Rohan Dennis by 35 secs over 18.1 km.

At the start of the stage I expected Pogacar to win the stage and be in yellow by a max of 20 seconds.

The Eurosport crew just weren't going to question how absurd this was at all.
I don't have ITV but was talking to someone who said they were more openly stunned said they couldn't understand how JV went so fast. Not sure who is on there (Boardman, D. Millar? Pippa York sometimes?)

Hopefully there is next generation of Kimmage, Walsh or Ballester investigating this already.
Numbers man Antoine Vayer must be having a field day with Vingegaard's power output.

Social media reaction must have interesting to say the least....

EDIT: Fixed some typos.
Vingegaard beating Dennis reminds me of the time Contador beat Cancellara in Monaco in a prologue. Absolute nonsense.

ITV is Ned Boulting, David Millar and Pete Kennaugh. I had an exchange with Boulting on twitter over Millar's suitability to be commenting on cycling and the issue of drugs in cycling, since he is a dirty lying cheat (who blocked me on twitter for some reason). I think Boulting is sound. Wasn't it him who confronted Laurent Jalabert over comments he made about Froome, as JaJa was dirty as hell too. But thats kind of double-standards from Boulting then, is it not. Stick up for Millar, but have a go at JaJa.

I remember having an exchange with Kennaugh too back when he was in Sky. He had an army ready to pile on me once things got a bit nasty, but in fairness he didn't block me over it. That was over doping doctors at Sky and I was 100% right and he was 100% wrong.

These commentators can't really say anything. Cycling is like WEE. Its a product, and it needs its stars to be protected at all costs, as they are what brings the crowds, the TV audiences, the sponsors, and the money.

I read somewhere this week that UAE or Bahrain were going to try to lure Mattieu Van Der Poel with a 6 million contract. For a cyclist that is bonkers.

Vingegaard beating Dennis reminds me of the time Contador beat Cancellara in Monaco in a prologue. Absolute nonsense.

ITV is Ned Boulting, David Millar and Pete Kennaugh. I had an exchange with Boulting on twitter over Millar's suitability to be commenting on cycling and the issue of drugs in cycling, since he is a dirty lying cheat (who blocked me on twitter for some reason). I think Boulting is sound. Wasn't it him who confronted Laurent Jalabert over comments he made about Froome, as JaJa was dirty as hell too. But thats kind of double-standards from Boulting then, is it not. Stick up for Millar, but have a go at JaJa.

I remember having an exchange with Kennaugh too back when he was in Sky. He had an army ready to pile on me once things got a bit nasty, but in fairness he didn't block me over it. That was over doping doctors at Sky and I was 100% right and he was 100% wrong.

These commentators can't really say anything. Cycling is like WEE. Its a product, and it needs its stars to be protected at all costs, as they are what brings the crowds, the TV audiences, the sponsors, and the money.

I read somewhere this week that UAE or Bahrain were going to try to lure Mattieu Van Der Poel with a 6 million contract. For a cyclist that is bonkers.
I joined Instagram about 18 months ago. Was on MySpace in late 2000's but never posted on it and it was falling apart by then. No other social media.

Only react to other people's posts on Instagram. Apart sending a message to Tubridy about his prospects outside RTE that he'll never read.

85% of Instagram use is to follow music so far.
So haven't followed much cycling there apart from Sticky Bottle and some Irish folks.

Maybe next year I will watch a stage of Fignon's Tour 1984 win every day instead.
He beat Hinault by over ten minutes.
LF team mate LeMond was 3rd, Millar 4th (plus mountains jersey and stage) Kelly 5th.
Questions were asked how Renault won ten stages.
Also Herrera became first Latin American rider to win a stage at L'Alpe d'Huez.

Deadly stage finish there. Breakaway group that had been out all day managed to get over the line literally about 15m in front of the chasing peloton
yeah, I did a hanging mouth open wow on that. I was certain they were getting reeled in. That Nils Politt lad is a goddamn tractor.

Yeah, that was an amazing finish. I did not give them a hope in hell of staying away.

Yeah it's fuckin wild that they made it, with 5k to go I thought they were absolutely fucked!
The break was given extremely little leeway (no more then 90 seconds at best) yet they somehow held on.
Commentators were talking during the stage about how soul destroying it must be in that situation where you had no hope of winning but just had to keep going all day.
A one in a thousand odds of survival. Can't remember seeing something like this before.
The break went in the first 10 km too

The break was given extremely little leeway (no more then 90 seconds at best) yet they somehow held on.
Commentators were talking during the stage about how soul destroying it must be in that situation where you had no hope of winning but just had to keep going all day.
A one in a thousand odds of survival. Can't remember seeing something like this before.
The break went in the first 10 km too
I was following what was happening on twitter and couldn't figure this out. I presume it was the sprinter teams keeping the gap small. Usually a transfer stage at this part of the race would see a decent break get a huge amount of time. The GC lads must have been livid that the pack were chasing so hard all day.

Although they're all doped to the gills so I suppose its no odds to them.

just posted that she's not going to start as she had an accident yesterday (thankfully mostly unhurt)
Really devastated for Armitage. A bus hit her and she was concussed but otherwise OK.

The Tour stage 18 on Thursday was weird - the break gap was a minute or less for most of the stage. I only watched bits of it.

There was an incident which was heavily flagged where Philipsen tried to stop Pascal Eenkhoorn from getting in the break.
Philipsen was actually riding ahead of Eenkhoorn physically blocking him from attacking but JP received no sanction.
Matej Mohoric is a legend.
The was a full scale war to get in the break but I had to go out and only saw recording of the last 20+ km.
Insane speed again one the fastest ever Tour stages.
More exciting watching these stages than GC battle.

EDIT: fixed numerous typos.

Roubaix winner Alison Jackson (EF) crashed in Tour de France Femmes today with over 50 km left.
When her bike was on the ground the back wheel was still spinning around and she had to stop it with her foot.

The commissars need to be ready to check the EF bikes at the finish.
19 km left now - let's see what happens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back