Tony Blair vs Ireland (2 Viewers)

Who do you reckon will start in place of Wilson? Delaney can kiss goodbye to another Irish cap by the looks of it.

Is there a reason why Delaney doesn't get a look in? Did he play particularly shit in any game?

(I know he's not brilliant but he at least plays EPL every week and is reasonably decent)

Is there a reason why Delaney doesn't get a look in? Did he play particularly shit in any game?

(I know he's not brilliant but he at least plays EPL every week and is reasonably decent)
Age, maybe? He's 34, so not exactly one for the future.

Age, maybe? He's 34, so not exactly one for the future.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Personally I'd have him in. And try and persuade Dunne to come back. Even just for the rest of this season.

rourke_age-and-guile.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-10_16-0-0.jpeg
    upload_2014-11-10_16-0-0.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, age. Him and Roy weren't best of mates but I doubt that's a factor. He'd still be a good option to have for this game.

It's 50/50 between Keogh and Pearce to start I reckon. Clarke must be a rank outsider.

Yeah I reckon you just call up the best available irrespective of age for competitive games, give the up and coming lads a run in friendlies.. Considering how few starting Premier League center backs we have overlooking Delaney seems weird. Then again McShane played the whole game at the weekend too. Shane Duffy's playing regularly for Blackburn now, bit unlucky to miss out on this squad but should be an option later in the campaign. From that squad I'd go with this (assuming McCarthy is fit, otherwise play Quinn or Hendrick):
Code:
              Forde
Coleman   O'Shea   Keogh   Ward
       Gibson   McCarthy
McGeady     Keane     Walters
            Long
Would personally favour Brady over Ward but I reckon you'd have to bed him in to that position in a friendly first, and Ward is at least starting for Burnley now.

Code:
              Forde
       Gibson   McCarthy
McGeady     Keane     Walters
            Long

I wouldn't play Keane behind Long. He hasn't the legs for it at all. Keane or Long up front is 50/50, depending how much MON respects the Scottish defence. I'd hope for Long for 70 minutes and Keane for the last 20.
I could very easily see McGeady having the same free role across the midfield as he did against Georgia, McClean on the left and Walters on the right.
I'd have no strong preference between Pearce and Keogh. Maybe Pearce just to further wind up the Scots. I agree that Duffy can feel hard done by over Clark.
Gibson/Hendrick is also very close to call. Of course if McCarthy's injured then it's Hendrick and Gibson.
No way will Brady start left back after one makeshift appearance there for Hull.
My team:
Code:
              Forde
Coleman   O'Shea   Pearce   Ward
       Gibson   McCarthy
McClean  McGeady   Brady
            Long

More likely:

Code:
              Forde
       Hendrick   McCarthy
Walters  McGeady   McClean
            Keane

Code:
              Forde
       Hendrick   McCarthy
Walters  McGeady   McClean
            Keane

Yeah, I suspect that this is currently the most likely line-up we will go with, except I reckon Gibbons instead of Hendrick.
Personally, I say get rid of Unknown Fan, have Walters up front, Long in the hole, McGeady out right, see how that goes. Has to be Gibbons over Hendrick for me.

I wouldn't play Keane behind Long. He hasn't the legs for it at all. Keane or Long up front is 50/50, depending how much MON respects the Scottish defence.
It's where he plays for LA all the time now.. Unless we go back to straight 4-4-2 and pair him with Long/Walters I think it's the only place he'll be effective. I was on board with the McGeady at number 10 idea until the Germany game, where he barely featured until he was moved back to the wing, but maybe it's unfair to write it off after one game. About Gibson/Hendrick, I reckon he'll go with Gibson for the big match experience unless there's a fitness doubt.

It's where he plays for LA all the time now...
Oh really? I thought he played up front. Does he track back and link up the play from midfield to the front man?

Edit - I;m not sure you're right about that Richie.The formation sites I'm looking at now say they play 4-4-2?
Los Angeles Galaxy (U.S.A.) Football Formation
LA Galaxy vs Portland Timbers 08-02-2014 - Formation | MLSsoccer.com

Last month “In the second half, we went back to our 4-4-2 and everyone feels comfortable. We’re able to get around guys in the midfield and put pressure on guys so they’re not able to turn and counter us,” said Gonzalez.
Bruce Arena admits unfamiliar defensive formation led to poor first half against Montreal Impact | LA Galaxy

Last edited:
Oh really? I thought he played up front. Does he track back and link up the play from midfield to the front man?

Edit - I;m not sure you're right about that Richie.The formation sites I'm looking at now say they play 4-4-2?
Los Angeles Galaxy (U.S.A.) Football Formation
LA Galaxy vs Portland Timbers 08-02-2014 - Formation | MLSsoccer.com

Last month “In the second half, we went back to our 4-4-2 and everyone feels comfortable. We’re able to get around guys in the midfield and put pressure on guys so they’re not able to turn and counter us,” said Gonzalez.
Bruce Arena admits unfamiliar defensive formation led to poor first half against Montreal Impact | LA Galaxy
Okay maybe I was misinformed :oops: I've spent forty five minutes trying to find the match report I'm sure I read a month or 2 back which had him as the link man, and the best I could come up with this from a preseason game in February: 'Keane, as is his custom, dropped deep into midfield and took on a playmaker's role, looking to link with Samuel up top and spreading the ball wide for Gyasi Zardes on the right.."

..and some quotes from when Trapattoni thought about playing him in that role in 2012. In support of my theory though there are quite a few clips from the last 2 seasons at L.A. where he's either arriving late into the box or laying on a pass from deep for Donovan or the lad with the bleached mohawk to chase. Just hope they don't repeat the approach of the Georgia & Germany games, if he's up front on his own he'll be chasing shadows all night again.

Stick Keane up top. We'll beat these mugs no bother, have Aiden bamboozle them on the wings, Long with a headed goal a certainty.

I'm on page 87 of Keano's book. I go into work with an unshakeable belief in my own ability and ready for battle, ready for war. My temp contract was extended by 9 weeks despite me costing the association a fortune. If he transfers 1/10th of that feeling on to players he's actually working with (as opposed to some office monkey in north Dublin) we'll crush them. Crush their "momentum".

At the weekend, Sky Sports had a half hour special on how Wee Gordon had turned the Jocks around and was on the way to qualifying the fucking losers for something for the first time since 1998. Fuck that. I hope Keano shows it to the lads during the week. 3 games in. And they were fucking bet in Germany.

Fuck Scotland. They have absolutely no one we should be afraid off. We have goal scorers galore. Strong men. Characters.

As Keane says, most of the time Fergie saw the game simply. And I think this game will be that sort. Get out there and play and fucking wipe the Queen-loving cunts out and let them stay on 4 fucking points while we go 6 in front of them. See how fucking confident of qualifying they are after that.

Fuck the Scotch cunts. Come on Ireland ta fuck.

Scratch that, Whelan's back.
You have to commend Whelan's commitment, that's for sure. I don't think they'll risk him though, and no football in a month?

Here's a good piece on the evolving fortunes of Shane Long, the new Jon Walters:
"Koeman said that although Long was bought primarily as a centre-forward, where he has spent most of his career, the plan was always to develop him into a player who can be deployed anywhere across the front line"

Ronald Koeman adds Shane Long to lengthy success story at Southampton | Football | The Guardian

You have to commend Whelan's commitment, that's for sure. I don't think they'll risk him though, and no football in a month?

Here's a good piece on the evolving fortunes of Shane Long, the new Jon Walters:
"Koeman said that although Long was bought primarily as a centre-forward, where he has spent most of his career, the plan was always to develop him into a player who can be deployed anywhere across the front line"

Ronald Koeman adds Shane Long to lengthy success story at Southampton | Football | The Guardian

Soon we'll have a devastating team of strikers that can't play up front, let the world beware!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back