Things You’re Missing National Tour - The Village, 19 April, 2003 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 0

Do you agree with this review?

• Agree

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
This was the last date of the Things National Tour. The Evangelists were on first, playing straightforward adolescent punk to a few early arrivals at The Village. I can imagine that a 14 year old just discovering punk would probably enjoy this mindless derivative tripe but it’s not my idea of good music. The vocals jumped between shouting, falsetto and animal roar but managed to remain tired and predictable throughout each identical song. The only thing vaguely interesting about The Evangelists was the singer’s rather special style of dancing, and even this became irritating after the first song. He did have amazing energy, leaping and gyrating as if receiving hundreds of tiny electric shocks, even socking himself in the mouth at one point with the mic, chipping his tooth (or pretending to?). I was hoping he was too badly hurt to continue, but no, the brave Duracell bunny battled on to the bitter end.

Next up were Yakuza. I was really looking forward to this band and the first two songs were fantastic, melodic and heavy in perfect proportions. The singer has a powerful voice, and the guitarist showed great energy but they were let down by a nervous drummer and poor sound which masked some of the more complex melodies. I’d like to see them play again with a sound engineer who knows what they’re doing.

Deputy Fuzz spent an age setting up before beginning their set. I’ve seen them before and really liked them but this was a shambolic, yelpy performance. They have a new female guitarist who also does backing vocals, leading to the inevitable Chalets comparisons. Give me The Chalets any day. Again the poor sound did them no favours, turning some decent pop-rock songs into a tinny mess. The singer has an idiosyncratic vocal style which has worked well at other gigs but tonight she showed no control and ended up sounding like a squeaky toy being tortured.

I was hoping Settler could come to the rescue. They started with a new song which featured lots of keyboard and some funky clapping, in quite a different vein to the songs on their debut album. The next few songs were familiar but weren’t as well performed as usual. They seemed quite tired and some of the vocals were a bit strained, there again probably due to poor onstage sound. Unfortunately I had to leave before the end of their set but the songs I heard were, despite a few problems, still superior to anything else on the night.

In addition to mediocre performances, the Village never really filled up enough for a good atmosphere to develop, possibly due to constant date, line-up and venue changes. I hope tonight wasn’t indicative of the rest of the tour as a huge amount of preparation went into the whole thing and it’s encouraging to see a real alternative to the chart orientated rubbish peddled by MCD et al.

This review is rubbish.

It's full of clichés and fails to make any vaild points. Perhaps it pointed out the obvious, but that's not what you're looking for in a good review.

Gaaaah! Arghhh!

Originally posted by billygannon
This review is rubbish.

It's full of clichés and fails to make any vaild points. Perhaps it pointed out the obvious, but that's not what you're looking for in a good review.

this review of this review is rubbish.
it's full of clichés and fails to make any valid points.... etc. ;)

in all fairness i suppose the sound was poor that night so anyone not familiar with the bands wouldn't have been impressed. personally i couldn't get into any of the acts 'cos the sound was so muddy where i was standing, particularly for yakuza. having been at the village a few times since i've found the sound is better closer to the front away from the mixing desk. i think having a bigger crowd helps to soak up the sound too.

Originally posted by Anthony
Chalets comparisions because of a female voice??
What a dumb thing to say.

i'd say it was because of the two female vocalists doing the catchy poppy harmonies style thing. y'know, 'cos there's like soooo many other dublin bands doing that at the moment. ;)

ah its okay like
its not going to win any Nobel awards, but it does the job

I mean it has to be remembered that these folk aren't writers by trade,

what could be changed about it?

Also in reply to another post somewhere else on some other board... I think having some sort of way of recognisisng writers, and knowing which reviews they also wrote is important... I don't know how one would work this with the anonomous thingy, but in any magazine or website you do grow to respect certain reviewers opinions more then others.

Like that prick who said Capratone were tame, he's obviously a bollox

:) :) :)

Originally posted by Pantone247

its not going to win any Nobel awards, but it does the job

yeah, like billy said (although he could have been more constructive) - it pointed out the obvious. but what more do you want? it's a review - not a piece of literature.
i thought it gave a fairly good idea of what the night was like, but i was there. maybe it wouldn't be as clear to someone that wasn't. maybe people are put off by its overall negativity.

I mean it has to be remembered that these folk aren't writers by trade.

yeah, i think whoever wrote the review of foggy notions ain't going to be bowled over by the overall quality of reviewing on thumped.

Originally posted by conor
maybe it wouldn't be as clear to someone that wasn't.

I wasn't there and the review gave me a pretty good idea of what each band was like, and what the reviewers feelings were on them. It's a bit dry and lacking in personality (bit like my wife! ...but seriously...), but as we said its not being put up as a great piece of english litriture. And hey people writing will get better like with time and experience.

maybe people are put off by its overall negativity.

Is it *really* that negative?

Put on your impartial hat, the one with the pom pom, and re-read it...

okay The Evangelists don't come off well, but the reviewer states straight off "its not his (her) idea of good music"... you can't argue with that. But everything else in it is fairly even handed to my eyes. Nobody is getting slated for fun of it like.

If Thumped is going to accomadate reviews it's pretty important that the writers feel like they can express an opinion with out being shot down the minute they express a view contrary to popular opinion.

If people do have an issue with the review it would be great if they could actually articulate what that issue is, rather then dismissing it in a throw away line or two. This will both help the readers understand the contrary point of view on offer, and maybe help the writer identify possilbe short comings in their writings, and thus improve.

all this, of course, excludes that twat at the hoot night, I'd like to meet that prick round back to show them how "compartively tame" I am with a big stick and a bicycle chain.

;)

If Thumped is going to accomadate reviews it's pretty important that the writers feel like they can express an opinion with out being shot down the minute they express a view contrary to popular opinion.
If people do have an issue with the review it would be great if they could actually articulate what that issue is, rather then dismissing it in a throw away line or two. This will both help the readers understand the contrary point of view on offer, and maybe help the writer identify possilbe short comings in their writings, and thus improve.

defo. c'mon anthony and billy - they's fairly knee-jerk responses.

i'm just defensive 'cos of knowing all the work that went into organising that tour and i think it was a shame that gig didn't do the bands justice as i've seen them all play and sound better. but at least i can articulate my issues with the review.
were you there anthony - you didn't think deputy fuzz's dual-female vocals sounded like the chalets in places? i did.
billy - '(this review) fails to make any valid points'. it offered an opinion on each band's performance. again, what more do you want?

I agree
I also agree with Conor
This defensiveness when faced with any sort of 'outsider' comment that's less-than-glowing is embarassing

Originally posted by Knacker
You wrote it though... didn't you?

i'd never say anything like this:
I can imagine that a 14 year old just discovering punk would probably enjoy this mindless derivative tripe but it’s not my idea of good music.

anyhoughs you can arsk pete - i ain't one of the reviewers. i'd just like to see more discussion.

Originally posted by snakybus
and try not to run into dip's shoulder this time
arf

i swear i felt like sh!t for the rest of saturday - i think i was concussed. i ran into billy and dip at the same time - that's alot of manflesh, me jaw into dip's shoulder, bit through me tongue. ow.
but you'll get yours ;)

aggro!

*duish*

it was bad all right, don't mean to slag your injury.....but it was very funny, like the tasmanian devil, elmer fudd and daffy duck all colliding and falling flat on their backs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back