The Nostalgia Circuit (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I was walking to the shops earlier and I saw that Ash are doing a 1977 (the album, not the year) 20 year anniversary tour at the minute. I saw them live last summer and really enjoyed it but was total nostalgia buzz apart from one banger off their latest album. I don't honestly think there were too many people <30 in the crowd. Below the Ash poster was a poster for St Germain doing a show and I laughed to myself.

The nostalgia industry that is easy to deride when you are younger now has its sights plainly set on people my age. The buzz around Radiohead playing after a very long live hiatus also seems to be part of that. Although in fairness to Radiohead, they have younger fans who couldn't have seen them live back in the day and are relishing the opportunity now (I think).

I know this is all a bit Retromania-ish and has probably been hashed out here a million times before but in most of the past instances it was of bands I was too young to know about first time around.

Not long before Ronnie Drew died I went to a show where he performed 3 songs, he was in bits. The whole show was lovely and very sad but one of the more poignant elements to me at the time was that I was possibly the youngest person in the audience and most of the auditorium was a sea of pepper hair. I remember my sister saying something along the lines of "sure next it'll be us at Morrissey, clapping our hands along to the songs" and it feels we're not far off that.

The potency of nostalgia though seems kinda muted when most songs from back in the day are now readily accessible to almost anyone with an internet connection, there is no scarcity, no logistic rarity to recorded music as a cultural artefact. Saying that though, I've been into John McCormack records for years, but it is amazing to be able to now go and download every song that was a hit any year in the last century or more. Songs that were making people dance long before any of our parents were born can now be readily accessed.

There must be some adage about popular music though, that the music you heard when you were x age to y age is the music that stays with you.

And of course, the Simpsons did it better than I can in 12 seconds.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was thinking about that Radiohead thing over the weekend I first saw them live in 1996 (I'm sure some people, @Lili Marlene probably, caught them upstairs in Whelans before that). So that'll be a 21 year gap (if I live long enough to see them next year).

I also saw U2 in 1987 and again in around 2007 (no interest in seeing them again), so thats a 20 year gap.

Nostalgia gigs included, whats the longest time span people have between first and last/latest times to see a band. I'm sure some of those on the road a lot longer (Neil Young, etc), will have folks that saw him 100 years apart.

I think the nostaligiac reunion thing is grand. Its when a band that reunited for that reason, decided to stay together, and start taking the piss, that it becomes a problem. YES, I'm looking at you Teh Stone Roses. The Eagles did it as well.

Some of the ones I enjoyed were Neutral Milk Hotel, In Tua Nua, Cry Before Dawn, Fat Lady Sings. Even that Whipping Boy comedy show was good fun. I was at the first 2 Eagles reunion gigs. The first was great. The second was a fucking waste of time and money.

And while it'd be good to see some of those bands again, its probably for the best that they fucked off again.

I was thinking about that Radiohead thing over the weekend I first saw them live in 1996 (I'm sure some people, @Lili Marlene probably, caught them upstairs in Whelans before that). So that'll be a 21 year gap (if I live long enough to see them next year).

It'll be 20 years minus a day since I first saw Radiohead at the RDS (w/ Massive Attack, Teenage Fanclub) when they play here next year.

In 96 they played the big day out in Galway supported by
and a few of my friends were at that.

I believe the "I was there" gig for them would have been the Rock Garden in 93. I don't even know where that was.

Nostalgia gigs included, whats the longest time span people have between first and last/latest times to see a band. I'm sure some of those on the road a lot longer (Neil Young, etc), will have folks that saw him 100 years apart.

I saw Primal Scream for the first time in 87/88 or so and then saw them for the second time last Friday night ...

The nostalgia industry that is easy to deride when you are younger now has its sights plainly set on people my age. The buzz around Radiohead playing after a very long live hiatus also seems to be part of that. Although in fairness to Radiohead, they have younger fans who couldn't have seen them live back in the day and are relishing the opportunity now (I think).

Also older fans who are recent converts like me and just never bothered going to see them before. At last year's Primavera I decided I couldn't be bothered walking from one end of the site to the other to catch their set and now am massively pissed off I can't get a ticket for their show here next year. Yes, I am an idiot.

I've never seen Radiohead @scutter. Everything after OK Computer can suck my socks

Here though re:thread

You haven't lived until you've been to one of the Rewind/Let's Rock festivals. I went to one this year and it was simultaneously one of the grimmest/most fun things of all time.

It's really interesting to see a pile of bands 35 years into their career with only about 2 real hits to their name. That's when you really find out who was in it for the money and who is for the music. If a band can't exist exist without money then nostalgiafest.

Saw Gorilla Biscuits in 1991 then the next time was 2007(?)
Faith No More in the Top Hat in April 1990 then again at the Olympia in 2009 (I saw them soundcheck at Slane in 1992 but not much else so I'm not counting that one)

I may have blocked out memory of other gig(s) but last time I saw Ash before 2015 in Whelans was 1995 or 1996 in the Point supporting Therapy?

I don't think it's fair to lump Radiohead in with the nostalgia/reformed bands/greatest hits golden oldies crowd given that they continue to look forward and change things up for themselves and the audience. I'm certainly not going to see them to hear the old stuff, been there and done that.

There are a whole slew of artists who have kept going for decades without giving in to the temptation of just playing the hits. A group like Swans have deliberately dropped all or most of their old material from their sets. Neil Young continues to play loads of new material, much of it unreleased at the time, and even when he goes back through his back catalogue he digs deep with a 20 minute "Like an Inca" or tracks from underrated albums. Then you have Iron Maiden, who were doing that thing of every second tour being centred around greatest hits, with the tours in between in support of new material.

Not that I'm against reformed bands or nostalgia-orientated tours but rather the idea that all artists that are in it for the long-haul are nostalgiafests. I think I had a clearer point in mind when I started typing.

I may have blocked out memory of other gig(s) but last time I saw Ash before 2015 in Whelans was 1995 or 1996 in the Point supporting Therapy?
I saw them headline the Point around then, think it might have been 96? Kenickie and some other band I can't remember supported.

I cant fucking remember the 90s or 2000s

Its like I wasnt even there.Its infuriating sometimes

I went to see The Fall at reading in 91 ...and then pretty much blacked out until 2011 ..when I no doubt saw teh Fall again.

Ahh I get moments of clarity..something will bust through

So nostalgia and me arent on first name terms

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back