the hurling (1 Viewer)

I don't understand your point.

I know.

I try it in one line so rather than being gentle.

You are talking about your fears for hurling going the way of soccer where one super resourced team makes it impossible for the others to compete. This team has been kilkenny for decades because they had the super resource. The thing you are talking about being your fear is what Kilkenny did first and most effectively.

I know.

I try it in one line so rather than being gentle.

You are talking about your fears for hurling going the way of soccer where one super resourced team makes it impossible for the others to compete. This team has been kilkenny for decades because they had the super resource. The thing you are talking about being your fear is what Kilkenny did first and most effectively.
if you want to amend this to say that the 8 or so strong counties did this, rather than just Kilkenny, I'm happy to accept your point.

If you want to continue to single out Kilkenny, who probably have the smallest population of the hurling strongholds, then no, I don't buy that.

if you want to amend this to say that the 8 or so strong counties did this, rather than just Kilkenny, I'm happy to accept your point.

If you want to continue to single out Kilkenny, who probably have the smallest population of the hurling strongholds, then no, I don't buy that.

I didn't single out Kilkenny - you did by writing an essay about how other teams are making the sport overly competetive while completely ignoring that it's been an institution based sport since the 50s and mostly you are concerned about this because that isn't working for ye's any more :) And to say that Kikennys was the most focussed and well documented hurling institute in the country, that wouldn't be an overstatement would it?

DJ Carey's kid is graduating soon actually..

I didn't single out Kilkenny - you did by writing an essay about how other teams are making the sport overly competetive while completely ignoring that it's been an institution based sport since the 50s and mostly you are concerned about this because that isn't working for ye's any more :) And to say that Kikennys was the most focussed and well documented hurling institute in the country, that wouldn't be an overstatement would it?

DJ Carey's kid is graduating soon actually..
if thats what you took from my post then I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself. My general point is that the sport has evolved and teams have kept raising the bar. But they have been raising it from a much lower point and I'd argue that the limits of what is possible as amateurs, have been breached.

As for Kierans being the most focussed and well documented - that depends. If you are in Cork, its North Mon and you probably hear nothing about Kierans. If you're in Clare, its Flannan's and your focus is the Harty Cup, which Kierans don't contest.

But Kierans are probably the most successful, that part is fact and probably would explain why it would be the most documented. As for the most focussed, others might tell you differently. For me, I suppose it probably is. Btw, hurlers from all over have attended Kierans. Eoin Kelly from Tipp went there. Lots of lads from outside of Kilkenny have gone there over the years, including a club and teammate of my own in Dublin.

Carey's eldest lad returned to the panel this year after travelling for the winter. In trying to rush him back to full fitness, he overdid it and put too much pressure on his heart, so ended up having to drop out again. He was there with the panel at the homecoming last night, which is good to see. He's a popular lad. The younger lad won't make county, I don't think. Not sure what age he is. Probably college going age, but he keeps a lower profile so I wouldn't know as much about him.

if thats what you took from my post then I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself. My general point is that the sport has evolved and teams have kept raising the bar. But they have been raising it from a much lower point and I'd argue that the limits of what is possible as amateurs, have been breached.

My counterpoint is that second you had academys (1950s) that point was breached already. Donegal wouldn't have a look at an academy county in hurling and unless A: we start an academy and wait a generation or two or B: we invest heavily in the youth/clubs over a decade like the limerick model we will never be able to compete with any county with an academy hence being a tier 2/3 county. That bird flew decades ago.

My counterpoint is that second you had academys (1950s) that point was breached already. Donegal wouldn't have a look at an academy county in hurling and unless A: we start an academy and wait a generation or two or B: we invest heavily in the youth/clubs over a decade like the limerick model we will never be able to compete with any county with an academy hence being a tier 2/3 county. That bird flew decades ago.
Does Donegal not have a centre of excellence?

I was in Leitrim the other week and they have one. Does that not equate to an 'academy' ?

The word 'academy' is a strange one. What we're really talking about are schools that played hurling seriously. I'm not sure the answer would have been to tell them to stop, that its not allowed because they're not doing it up in Donegal.

I really wish Donegal were competitive in hurling btw. I'd a friend on that team that won the Lory Meagher a few years ago. Kilkenny man playing corner back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back