The great loudness war is getting me down.. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 1

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
The varying mastering levels between different tunes is really starting to get on my tits.

I prefer loud but a lot of my tunes arent.Its causing havoc with putting together a mix....

Is there anything I can do bar pumping the quiet ones in sound forge....apart from the time it takes,the inevitble clipping is a cunt....but I'll put up with it to keep the loudness up,but I'm not married to loudness.

Ideally I'd like an easy way to make all the tracks conform to some rational level...

Someone out there has the knowledge........or at least a suggestion..Its costing me a LOT of time,which could be better spent.

Radio uses multi-band compression to deal with this very problem, alas it also has some negative side effects, so it's a trade off Gazz
what's it for and do you have any multi-band compressors? oh and a hefty limiter too.
Pro tools is it?

Multi-band and a limiter plug-in is what I would suggest ...
You'd have to bounce each track though, which takes time, putting the multi-band and the limiter on the master out

Jonpuget

like a mixtape?
Find the quietest song and then turn all the other ones down to match that volume. Then once you've your mix done, normalise the whole thing in sound forge using Peak Level to 0dB.
Turning loud tracks down won't change how they sound, using multi-band compressors and a limiter will change things a lot.

As long as the volume level is consistent between tracks, I wouldn't worry about it's loudness. The listener will set the volume once you've everything consistent.

gaz, listen to lemonbravo (who is a pro), ignore the ian (who is a chancer).

Thanks for the advice lads..Lemonbravo's seems like the way to go..have some rep!

Yeah I use foobar to listen to tunes..cant edit together a show with it unfortunately...its a great player though...the best!

Too late for me to fix this weeks show anyway now..but from now on I'll be doing what Lemonbravo suggested...

Thanks everyone else who chipped in...

Turn the loud ones down and turn the master volume on your stereo or amp which is prob never up all the way , up all the way!

My master volume is wedged on 10.

Sound forge 10 actually has a nice "event based editing" feature that would do this really quickly. Or use something like Reaper for quickly lowering the volume.
Both have the same feature where you click the top of the waveform and drag a slider to lower the volume. Easier to do your crossfades and whatnot in reaper or SF event mode also.

I sure do,I havent even considered compiling the show on that tbh...

I'm doing much better loudness wise now.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back