The first gig you ever played (1 Viewer)

outoftheblue

Website
Visit site
Do you remember it? I was trying to think of mine just now. It's pretty blurry. I'm about to play my first gig in like more than a year this Saturday with a sort of Beat Happening-ish* band and it's all very shambolic, which is the kind of thing I love when I go to see a band but kind of scary when it's you on a bill with other 'proper' bands, and I realised I'd almost forgotten what it's like being on stage.

*maybe

Emmaus Centre in Balheary a school concert in 1998 I think. The band was called The Haberdasheries and we did a Dylan cover and a U2 song and some other covers.

first "gig" would have been around '87 at the school talent show, played a few Neil Young covers...first proper gig would have been about 2 months after that where the same band played a school dance...got paid and everything.

20 years ago?!?!?!?!

no.

no, that can't be right.

I played recorder at the arklow musical festival around 1992.

came second in the competition.

first gig was with brian cullen's love bullets in voodoo headlining to a tattoo convention. I must have vomited about 7 times before we went on stage and so was dizzy by the time we got up. we played our thirty minute set in 17mins cos we were so nervous. Played in Voodoo for the first time since then last Friday and couldn't believe how small the stage was. At the time it felt like wembley arena..horrible horrible first gig.

My first was when I was in school , we played The No Name club - a club for kids where you could have fun without alcohol (lies), training for Alcoholics Anonymous in later life or something

We were brutal. I borrowed an amp and during one song I turned a knob I shouldn't have so the next 20 minutes was just a bbbgggrrrhhhxzzzznzngtgg noise from me. Dreadful stuff.

About 15 years later I joined a punk band in Dublin and I cant remember where we played our first gig. Slatterys maybe.

this
rnr_poster.jpg

our only gig as a trio. was so fuckin nervous at the start,made loads of mistakes, but totally enjoyed it.|..|

mine was the westmeath "search for a star" final when i was 15. i cant remember what we used call ourselves at the time but we performed cream's "sunshine of your love" and "hotel California" by the eagles. it was a passable first performance. heres me, i reckon this was during hotel california judging by the F#
1908912028_2c58e3e4af.jpg

we played a gig in the school the following week at a gig to raise money for the christian brothers in zambia and it was a complete fiasco.

jaysis- we were planning on doing two Ramones songs but dropped them...because they were too difficult

Mine's was the St Eunan's school concert in 95, I played the breeders cannonball bass line in the wrong key. Think we also played supersonic by oasis and some green day song.

Early 80's, some unfortunate GAA club or other somewhere, a very much pre-pubecent me plays tin whistle with a tin whistle group. I was thought to be some sort of child sight-reading genius: but at this stage neither my parents nor my music teacher had realised that I only knew what song it was from the colour of the page it was printed on. A few weeks later some pro-IRA flyers come home with us from the tin-whistle classes and we: my brother, sister and me, never attend another lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back