SUGGESTIONS FOR BUYING A NEW AMP? (1 Viewer)

Krocapile

Thinking of upgrading my amp , but there's so much to choose from ...has anyone got any suggestions or tips ?

I have decided that money is not going to be a limiting factor this time and will invest some proper dosh for quality http://musicmaker.ie/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ...a grand or more probably.

Dunno wether to get a combo or a head + cab ..
Then again I wont be playing stadiums with it ... http://musicmaker.ie/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Want to play all kinds of music except the really heavy stuff ...nu metal etc

Whats your suggestions and why ..?can ye include the price of the amps you recommend as well ...

I'm thinking of a decent Fender cos I like clean sounds
-twin reverb /quadriverb/vibrolux /deville or a bassman..anyone got one??
or else a Marshall DSL401 with JCM2000.

Appreciate the feedback dudes.
Kroc

get a head + cab, its way easier in the long run, like you can usually borrow a cab at local gigs instead of having to lug a big beast around the whole time...
i would definitly go for an all-valve amp as well, definitly a much better sound.

www.thomann.de is a good place to get stuff...
for secondhand look on this board or www.buyandsell.ie

Yeah like he said a good head and cab can offer the best of both worlds and you often end up with something far superior.

Check out musicmaker for some good Marshall heads. I think I saw a JCM800 and a JCM 45(?) Plexi in there recently, both real rock amps.

Fenders generally have better tone especially when on clean settings, you should be able to get a top Fender twin reverb for under a grand second hand, but I would go for a valve model(think they made some tranny ones in the 80's) Have played some other Fender amps but they dont all seem to have the balls of a twin when cranked up high.

May also be worth checking ou some of the new Vox amps, never played one myslef but they sound quite good.

any of those marshall heads you suggested will serve you well, but you sound like your after a fender sound. twins are great but pricey and i aggree with damian in that heads are handier for gigs.

a mate has an all valve 50watt laney head and 4 x 10 cab setup. it has the nicestest clean sound i've ever heard. laneys are quality, i owned one myself.

thanks for the feedback lads...was tempted by the fender twin but fell in love with the marshall crunch and bought a DSL401 combo ..good deal on a trade in too..

Get a Fender twin combo amp, its all tube, great sound (loud as hell) and small enuff to lug around...but thats my 2 cents.

Krocapile said:
Thinking of upgrading my amp , but there's so much to choose from ...has anyone got any suggestions or tips ?

I have decided that money is not going to be a limiting factor this time and will invest some proper dosh for quality http://musicmaker.ie/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ...a grand or more probably.

Dunno wether to get a combo or a head + cab ..
Then again I wont be playing stadiums with it ... http://musicmaker.ie/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Want to play all kinds of music except the really heavy stuff ...nu metal etc

Whats your suggestions and why ..?can ye include the price of the amps you recommend as well ...

I'm thinking of a decent Fender cos I like clean sounds
-twin reverb /quadriverb/vibrolux /deville or a bassman..anyone got one??
or else a Marshall DSL401 with JCM2000.

Appreciate the feedback dudes.
Kroc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back