Small tube amp help... (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

I use an AD30VT at the moment, which is a great amp, but in some ways is starting to feel more like something I'd have as a backup.

I'm pretty interested in the Tiny Terror. I like how it has it's own unique tone, unlike the Blackstar amp around that size which just sounds like a generic Marshall. I was thinking of getting one, getting an FX loop modded into it, and having all round great fun with one. But given how many cheap tube amp heads/combos seem to be around these days, it might be a bad idea.

The Egnater Rebel 20 looks nice, haven't heard soundclips though and it's impossible to find one here. I'll be buying second hand, so not much hope for that.

I reckon I could probably get a TT head for 300 euro or less. However, I don't have a cab to hook it up to. I was wondering if I could just get a small maybe 1x8 Cab to sit it on top of, for home jamming/recording, and hook it up to something bigger when gigging? Where would I get such a cab?

I may end up getting a combo altogether though personally I don't like the look of the Orange cabs, though I do hear they're pretty good which would make the extra €100 or so seem well worth it. The cabs are full size though, which defeats the point of the portable amp for me.

Oranges themselves are getting a little overexposed though, and they are fairly dark voiced amps, so while they'd be great for taking my Fuzz pedals, I also like brighter, clangier kind of sound that the Orange won't deliver. So I'm open to other options here.

I have yet to hear the Egnater properly, and the HT-5 may sound better with single coils, the JCM800 does so it might too(to my ears anyway).

Keep in mind I'm not so interested in just flat out rawkin tube tone, I kind of want something special, not just some honky mid heavy lark that everyone on Harmony Central seems to cream themselves over. I do have a soft spot for Vox amps, Fender Twins and JCM800s, but my AD30VT does a decent job at those. I'd like something with a unique overdriven voice, good cleans, capable of both bright and fat(a lot of heads nowadays have a switch for this) and with an effects loop. Full EQ would be nice but not necessary if cranking the tone gets me into Trebley territory.

can't say i aggree re the HT-5. i think the ISF lets you get some really nice shimmering fender like tones. i like the ISF just bellow half on the american side and its really VOX like. i wouldn't be so quick to discount it. x-music have them in now and they have an effects loop too. if you haven't given one a good try already i'd check one out.

also, vox have just announced the AC4. class A head and 1x10 cab. can run at 4, 1 and 1/4 watt. i'd say it'll be class. the new vox nighttrain head has been getting OK reviews too. apparently sounds great but the build quality is a bit iffy. orange have just released a souped up 2 channel version of the TT (and a bass version!) so that might give you the overdrive tones you're after.

re cabs: a 1 x 8 is going to be hard enough to find. pleanty of 1x10s around though.

If I heard some good clips at the HT-5. While the boring look of the amp put me off at first(I know I'm an ass), I did really try hard to like it.

I think the problem is I've only heard generic, mid heavy, marshally humbucker sound out of it which bore me on a JCM800 too.

The Tiny Terror at least has a unique gain structure that I really enjoy. If I heard a clip of the Blackstar getting close to it's tone, or having it's own "voice", then I'd be interested again.

The AC-4 doesn't even have a master volume control... it's just a "basic tube amp" like the Valve Junior, AD-5. Those are great for people looking to "Tube up" their existing tone, but I can already do that well enough.

there no doubt that the ht-5 can mimic a marshall very easily. sure the 2 lads who started blackstar were amp designers at marshall.

how much are you looking to spend? i ask becuase i've seen a few mesa 5:25s and 5:50s secondhand for half their new price. also, the cornford roadhouse 1x12 combo is supposed to be fantastic. you're looking at between €500 and €1k though.

Not more than 300 euro really, which is what I could get the TT head for second hand. Yeah I'd still need to pay for an effects loop but I could do without it.

The HT-5 is a good option because I wouldn't need to buy a cab, and well I do like JCM800ish tone. But I'm looking for something with it's own character, which orange amps are great for. All these other small heads coming out have an emphasis on giving you a good few features at a cheap price, rather than having their own voice.

If I hear a HT-5 with single coils I may change my mind though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back