studio set up (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I'm lazy. Can anyone point me in the direction of some nice "recording in the same room as playing" type studios tips or diagrams. stuff you might find in home recording mags or site that I know are out there but don't want to trawl through.

tnx

One of these:
Reflection_fliter_lg.jpg

and your mac in another room is a good start.
Shame you bought an iMac then huh

I'm not looking for gear advise as such. More amp positioning etc. For recording rehearsals to multi track. Jamming and writing should be able to continue as normal but with the flick of a switch it gets recorded, to a decent quality. Not looking for perfection.

Can you drill a small hole in the wall and feed cables though from the adjoining room? i.e. presuming you have a compuer based recording system - only thing you keep in the room is the mouse / keyboard / monitor / audio interface.

Crumb are sort of doing this at the moment. Derrick could explain it better.

But there's a bit of a "room in a room" for the drums, then the bass amp is right arouond the corner, kept fairly quiet and with a D.I. off the amp... then the guitar amp behind a couch with blankets around it, mic'd up

Despite me reservations (9))bleed ain't an issue at all... so far... see what happens when I insist on compressing the hell out of the gated reverb effected snare sound I want alá Phil Collins In The Air Tonight

Yep - what Pantone said -
(that Ani deFranco vid will give u an idea), - if u can get your hands on some office-type dividers, they can be used as baffles, or make one with plasterboard and rockwool and carpet over the top, - it doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to take down most of the bleed- some bleed is good tho. We have a drum isolation room/booth , which does a good job of keeping the drums off the guitar tracks, and its just made from soundblock plasterboard and glass fibre and carpet, then wood panelling, simple enough to make, cheap too. Recordings so far have come out fine-BUT, we only have one guitar,one bass, (no live vocals) - more than this would be more complicated....
I just got the cheapo thomann mic isolation screen - seems grand- 99euro !

Mmmm - them baffles look TASTY !! :),- they should isolate your stomach from yer bowels for a while too- if u are using the correct amount of maple syrup-as per sound recording handbook !

Thanks, all this is good stuff but you know in the end it's all dictated by how long the leads are!

Not too worried about a bit of spill. I'd be more worried that everyone still needs to hear each other as with normal jamming. If the drummer is housed behind buffers how is he going to hear the guitars, unless writing and jamming becomes a headphone deal. Which I think should be avoided.

Sure we'll just play it by ear.

If you're not too worried by spill then you could just go for it as is. IMHO the trick is to keep as much as you can out of the snare mic and kick, so even if the O/Hs are picking up the entire band, your snare and kick call still be pushed through

With that in mind a few low (2ft - 3ft) baffles might do the job without blocking line of sight or anything like that. D.I. the bass and just stick to 57's right up on the amps

I was gonna suggest that another thing would be headphones, a few cheap PODs or VAmps and you'd be away. Crumb generally rehearse a little like that, it's scary how crystal clear it makes all your mistakes....

I was gonna suggest that another thing would be headphones, a few cheap PODs or VAmps and you'd be away. Crumb generally rehearse a little like that, it's scary how crystal clear it makes all your mistakes....

omelette used to jam like that, with V-Drums too! insane.

If it's only for demo purposes, then just crack away.
Definitely don't make rehearsals any more less comfortable.
Leakage on vox and overheads is unavoidable, so just make sure you keep it as low as possible, and try to have what leakage there is sound good.
Paying attention to the polar patterns of your mics is gonna be a big help.
Grab some hypercardioids if possible.

What are you using instead of the 002?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back