stopping boozing (1 Viewer)

Alcoholism is a disease over which you have no control

So you might as well knock it back, there's nothing you can do about it

914_stan_and_dad.jpg

AA is fundamentally a religious institution. Their system basically involves abstaining from booze (sin) by submitting to a higher power (God) through prayer (prayer obviously). They also maintain it's the only way to give up booze, diagnose alcoholics themselves (which can mean anyone basically according to their definitions). And as Penn & Teller so rightly pointed out, it doesn't work.

Well I have worked with lots of recovering addicts over the years and found that those who had the support of AA or NA did better at staying clean. I guess if you are a long term addict all your friends are addicts so the social outlet of AA or NA is as important as the 12 steps themselves.

i havent drank since new years. cant see myself starting again anytime soon. dont miss it at all.. was really easy and going out with people drinking is fine.

this new crack habit is great though. hangovers arent as bad.

Who diagnosed them as addicts?

Well I guess most of them would have been self diagnosed but the fact that they were drinking or taking heroin from the time they woke up in the morning till they passed out at night day in day out was a slight indication that they would have had a problem.

Im not talking about bored housewives who have one more glass of merlot than they should have at night.

Then again if someone thinks their own drinking has become a problem for them and they need help to control it then they would consider themselves an addict whether it be two bottles of wine or two bottles of vodka a day.

AA dosen't work for everyone but it dose work for some people.

pffft!

I answered mostly "NO" and yet

You scored between 3 and 5

This is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. It is important for your safety and the people around you that you find a treatment center to help you learn how to deal with your drinking habits.

Well I guess most of them would have been self diagnosed but the fact that they were drinking or taking heroin from the time they woke up in the morning till they passed out at night day in day out was a slight indication that they would have had a problem.

Im not talking about bored housewives who have one more glass of merlot than they should have at night.

Then again if someone thinks their own drinking has become a problem for them and they need help to control it then they would consider themselves an addict whether it be two bottles of wine or two bottles of vodka a day.

AA dosen't work for everyone but it dose work for some people.
Just wondering about the diagnosis thing.

Statistics put AA's success rate at about 5%.
http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-secrets.html

This is worth a read too.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/25/health/25drin.html?_r=1

I've been barely drinking (one drink lasting an hour or two) for the last few months and it's pretty funny how people look at you when they cop on to how little you drink.
I think it's pretty hilarious that I get called boring for not getting langers now as well. I have deadly craic when i go out as long as I have something half decent to dance to and the odd semi-sober person to talk to. Two langers people talking to each other is infinitely more boring.
Had to deal with someone close to me completely losing the run of themselves to drink in the last few months and it'd (a) break your heart and (b) put you off the entire enterprise altogether. I wouldn't wish dealing with that on my worst enemy.

I've been barely drinking (one drink lasting an hour or two) for the last few months and it's pretty funny how people look at you when they cop on to how little you drink.
I think it's pretty hilarious that I get called boring for not getting langers now as well. I have deadly craic when i go out as long as I have something half decent to dance to and the odd semi-sober person to talk to. Two langers people talking to each other is infinitely more boring.
Had to deal with someone close to me completely losing the run of themselves to drink in the last few months and it'd (a) break your heart and (b) put you off the entire enterprise altogether. I wouldn't wish dealing with that on my worst enemy.
yeah same with me. i am just really put off by irish drinking culture.

aargh, have a friend like that and actually hate going out with her a) she drinks way faster than me and then buys drinks at a faster rate to try and speed me up. b) she can't just have one, always needs to be pissed to feel like she's having a good time.
c)gets really really repetitive because she gets drunk so quickly.

Loads of people feel really uncomfortable being around people that don't drink/drugs whatever...

A couple of people I know actually breathe a sigh of relief when i do start drinking a few as if it's a huge weight of their back. ridiculous.

Aye, they almost think you're spying on them, or waiting for them to get into some kind of compromising position so that you can talk about them, or look down your nose at them.

I'm lucky in that most of my friends don't pass any comment on my drinking/not drinking. I think they're all comfortable enough with themselves not to worry about me :) But there are one or two who keep some distance when I'm not drinking. I'd remark on that quicker than other things.

pffft!

I answered mostly "NO" and yet

You scored between 3 and 5

This is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. It is important for your safety and the people around you that you find a treatment center to help you learn how to deal with your drinking habits.

I think the makers of that test may have ulterior motives... answering one question as yes gives the result-
"You may already be beginning to push the limits between social drinking and alcoholism. Be sure to watch your drinking habits before they spin out of control."

I didn't want to read the questions though, scary stuff

I think the makers of that test may have ulterior motives... answering one question as yes gives the result-
"You may already be beginning to push the limits between social drinking and alcoholism. Be sure to watch your drinking habits before they spin out of control."

I didn't want to read the questions though, scary stuff

You are obviously an alcoholic and should stop drinking (at least until after a gig)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back