Site Content (1 Viewer)

Johnnyc

Post your suggestions here!
Typically we'd have to cover "news", "reviews", "previews" etc. but some stuff is up for debate.

Should we have a retro section?
In my opinion, definately. I'm sure most of us are of the age that we can all write at least one article concerning a warm and fuzzy game related memory. You can't beat a good retro screenshot when you want to attract mature gamers too.

Should we bother with charts?
IMHO, no. The games charts are becoming very similar in spread to the pop music charts. For every Jessica Simpson single, read Little Britain: The Game. Do people really give a shit what is top of the game charts these days?

Should each console be given it's own section?
At the moment, I'd say no. We have limited resources plus there's no bigger turn-off than clicking on a section of a site and finding it pretty much empty.

Humour?
Should the site (try to) be funny? I think we should do our best to make it so. It's not everyones cup of tea, but I grew up reading the likes of Your Sinclair which was an absolute pleasure to read. You'd even read the reviews of games you knew were shite/of no interest to you because there was bound to be something in there that would make you smile.

Post your suggestions here!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I reckon a blog type format would be best at the start - Obviously each article should be split into catagories which can be indexed somewhere. The kind of thing I've been thinking of doing is 'Confessions of a drunk xbox user', so I don't know what heading that comes under....

Should we have a retro section?

Yep.

Should we bother with charts?

Nah, people are idiots.

Should each console be given it's own section?

I agree, leave it at the moment. they can be indexed though as I mentioned above.

Humour?

Don't see a lot of point in doing it 'straight' to be honest.

Used properly, wordpress' 'categories' are a really good way of navigating a site and making a blog seem slightly more substantial than it is.

I like the humour aspect of it. Reading a load of old Neon magazines right now, and I think that kind of tone would be perfect for a games blog.

I think the articles and reviews should really have a bit of personality to them. Anyone can right a simple review, hopefully what makes this different is personal experience and humour etc.

Obviously it doesn't have to be joke joke joke joke.. but anyway.

I fuckin' hate eurogamer's reviews (2 paragraphs of back-story before they even mention the game they're reviewing). I fuckin' hate gamestoaster's reviews too (4 non-committal paragraphs about a game that came out 6 months ago).

Things I like:
Consolevania's review style - friendly, personal and gives me a really good idea of whether I'd enjoy a game, not just whether it's a technically good game. After ignoring it for months, I bought Sid Meier's Pirates on the Xbox based entirely on their review and it was probably my favourite game on that console.

Also like Edge's "Retrospective" section. Deadly old games that are worth going back to again. I think a regular feature like this would be good for traffic.

I fuckin' hate eurogamer's reviews (2 paragraphs of back-story before they even mention the game they're reviewing)..
Ha I was thinking of buying jetpac on live and doing a backstory about speccys\ultimate\rare before before starting on the review. I suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back