Shipping Vinyl? (1 Viewer)

jackofficer

I have a question, probably directed more towards those of you either working for a record shop or a record label who might deal with large volumes of vinyl.

If I have say 1000 12"s, and I need to ship them overseas, say to the US or Japan or Australia, what's the best (ie. most cost efficient) way to go about it?

Should I divvy them up into separate boxes of a certain weight?

And who should I go to? SDS? An Post? Or is a courier the best way to go?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

heya

if you recieve an order of records from a pressing plant, they generally come boxed in small orders of 10- 20. these boxes are then packed in lager packs. generally you can fit maybe 10 boxes within one of these large cartons. these large boxes are then sealed.

if you go to record stores and ask them if they have any boxes and pack them as above you shouldn't have any probs, i remember reading somewhere once that it might be a good idea to remove the vinyl from the sleeves before shipping, just in case the sleeves burst in transit.

as for shipping, i think dhl are pretty good.

thanks herv!

are the smaller boxes you speak of the types of cardboard mailer that you get records in from Warp Mart and other mailorder places? and then putting 10 or 20 of those in another bigger box?

dhl seems to be quite a bit more expensive than SDS. SDS do 30kg for about eur300, and i reckon 30kg is about 100 12"s?

so i'm lookin at about 3 grand! :confused:

i'd almost be better off sending them one by one by regular post! i was expecting bulk shipping to be heavily discounted, but it doesn't really seem to be....

thanks herv!

nah wurries.

are the smaller boxes you speak of the types of cardboard mailer that you get records in from Warp Mart and other mailorder places? and then putting 10 or 20 of those in another bigger box?

i dunno, i've never seen them, but i'm pretty sure its the same thing. you'll see people who sell their own records at gigs with them. they generally have a white sticker on the side with the catalogue number and the quantity in the box.

dhl seems to be quite a bit more expensive than SDS. SDS do 30kg for about eur300, and i reckon 30kg is about 100 12"s? so i'm lookin at about 3 grand! :confused:

woh. thats a bit much. i know when we're got records sent from the czech republic the shipping was included in the price and was between 150 and 200 euro for 330 7"s. so check it again. it seems an awful lot. are you selling the records or moving? just convert them all to mp3 and have a car boot sale for yourself. you can buy a laptop with the money you make and dj from that in future.

i'd almost be better off sending them one by one by regular post! i was expecting bulk shipping to be heavily discounted, but it doesn't really seem to be

there used to be a thing with an post that if you were sending books in bulk you paid way less. i knew people who hid stuff in their books, but that offer is long gone now.

woh. thats a bit much. i know when we're got records sent from the czech republic the shipping was included in the price and was between 150 and 200 euro for 330 7"s. so check it again. it seems an awful lot. are you selling the records or moving? just convert them all to mp3 and have a car boot sale for yourself. you can buy a laptop with the money you make and dj from that in future.

hehehe, i wish i could find it in myself to flog 'em all off, but i'm so attached to the bastards i'd rather leave them sitting in an attic for a few years than sell them! i have thought about it, cos i would make a very tidy sum, but i've decided to do my darndest to hold onto them, even if it eventually means transporting them halfway around the world.

anyway, thanks for the tips, i'll do a bit more delving and see if i can come up with an alternative plan.....

there are a couple of places that ship stuff if you're moving - ive been checking into the west coast of the states.. if you send it by sea its cheaper, will take a bit longer though... but the weight doesnt matter... if you send it by air weight matters... but it takes a lot less time..and is more expensive

I havent got one here now but if you get that Living Abroad Magazine, freebie thats around town they have a list of about 20 companies who ship stufff..

Look into it well.. and make sure you find out what insurance each company offers.. individual boxes and pallets

Hope that helps..

ness

nessy said:
there are a couple of places that ship stuff if you're moving - ive been checking into the west coast of the states.. if you send it by sea its cheaper, will take a bit longer though... but the weight doesnt matter... if you send it by air weight matters... but it takes a lot less time..and is more expensive

I havent got one here now but if you get that Living Abroad Magazine, freebie thats around town they have a list of about 20 companies who ship stufff..

Look into it well.. and make sure you find out what insurance each company offers.. individual boxes and pallets

Hope that helps..

ness

That sounds exactly what I'm lookin for! I don't think I've ever noticed that Living Abroad magazine though, do you get it in travel agents?

jackofficer said:
That sounds exactly what I'm lookin for! I don't think I've ever noticed that Living Abroad magazine though, do you get it in travel agents?
usit prehaps?

various students unions, try the trinity su.

i also see a lot of them on busses. maybe get on a bus for a while?

you know that Down Under place, that used to be Major Toms.. you'll get it there or in the Outback.. the Aussie pub beside the UGC on Parnell St. They actually used to have a great happy hour.. everything €3

herv said:
maybe get on a bus for a while?

No thanks! I'd rather crawl around the city on all fours than put myself in the hands of Dublin Bus!
I will try Usit though, sounds a likely target....good thinkin herv!

nessy said:
you know that Down Under place, that used to be Major Toms.. you'll get it there or in the Outback.. the Aussie pub beside the UGC on Parnell St. They actually used to have a great happy hour.. everything €3

Thanks Nessy, I'll try those joints too....

jackofficer said:
Found a couple of promising links on the website... nice one! :)

I work for a shipping company who sends weekly consolidated containers to the states and the far east. Let me know where you want to send stuff and I can give you a price. The minimum price will be per 1cbm or per tonne but this will still usually work out cheaper than going with an post. - unfortunately if it's commercial goods you'll have to deal with customs at the destination - which can be tough if you don't have a good grasp of Japanese and can be time consuming if you do it yourself and costly if you hire somebody to do it for you. If you're sending stuff to a distributer it would be likely that they'd have a customs broker to take care of that lark though.

The Chilli King said:
I work for a shipping company who sends weekly consolidated containers to the states and the far east. Let me know where you want to send stuff and I can give you a price. The minimum price will be per 1cbm or per tonne but this will still usually work out cheaper than going with an post. - unfortunately if it's commercial goods you'll have to deal with customs at the destination - which can be tough if you don't have a good grasp of Japanese and can be time consuming if you do it yourself and costly if you hire somebody to do it for you. If you're sending stuff to a distributer it would be likely that they'd have a customs broker to take care of that lark though.

Do you send stuff to Australia too? Probably Sydney?
I'm not really sure what the total weight of stuff I would be sending is, but it would be something like 12 boxes, each measuring 300x300x300, full of records.

Even a ballpark figure would be great, thanks a lot!

Oh, and it's not commercial goods, it would be personal stuff.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back