Rubicon (1 Viewer)

It seems no one else on the internet liked that finale, but I did like it. Even if it doesn't get picked up for a second season, I think it works, in a funny sort of way, as a proper show ending. But I will not say anything else, partly because I do not know how to use spoiler tags.

Mormon Nailer said:
I like the others on the team. Miles in particular is a great piece of acting - his mania and figetyness, Grant has developed into a likeable character after being presented as bit of an oaf in the first episode.

I think this too. I like how low key they've kept the thing with Miles and Tanya's replacement; it seems like most (US?) shows would default to saying more about them, but somehow it's very effective, I think, how little there is of them. It reminds me of this idea I had about a show or a movie or drama or something where eventful and exciting things would happen but you'd show none of them but only the bits in between and leave people to extrapolate from the dull bits what the exciting bits are. I'm sure someone's done that already, mind.

It's funny, I only started watching this because one night I had nothing to read for the hour before Mad Men, and now I've completely lost interest in Mad Men because this was so good.

Yeah, I read the AV Club recap in work before actually watching the episode and I came back expecting a fairly lacklustre episode where they just treaded water and suddenly it was revealed that the writers were just making it up all along. Watching the episode, I didn't feel like this was the case at all. Okay, so it's not quite got the oomph of the last episode - an actual terrorist attack - but as a season finale, it was really good. Spangler challenging/encouraging Will, Ingram's look around the office, all the changes.

Now I'm thinking the AV Club got it completely wrong.

I really hope it gets picked up for another season, but even if it doesn't, that's a pretty satisfying ending. In fact, if it does get another season, where will it go? I'd really hate to see it disappear into a 24-like spiral of insanity with each season uncovering a new, even more secret cabal with even more ludicrous schemes.

yup, deadly ending. I want there to be another series, but there doesn't need to be one.

I think this too. I like how low key they've kept the thing with Miles and Tanya's replacement; it seems like most (US?) shows would default to saying more about them, but somehow it's very effective, I think, how little there is of them. It reminds me of this idea I had about a show or a movie or drama or something where eventful and exciting things would happen but you'd show none of them but only the bits in between and leave people to extrapolate from the dull bits what the exciting bits are. I'm sure someone's done that already, mind.

It's funny, I only started watching this because one night I had nothing to read for the hour before Mad Men, and now I've completely lost interest in Mad Men because this was so good.

Yeah, I think what make the show stand out is the subtlety of the writing and plotting.

What attracted me to it first was the offices of API itself, kind of grotty and mismatched and old fashioned, and blessedly absent of high-tech wank. Hopefully we have grown beyond the kind of 24 style narrative of limitless state power and frightening/dehumanising technoligical wizzardy. This was just a group of people with yellow pads around something that looked like a big kitchen table.

The first few episodes were a little x-filesish - necessary I suppose to set things up - but once they got into the meat of the conspiracy it turned into a top class thriller.

Some really great acting too. Ingram and Spangler in particular.

yeah, that requires some further explanation

Was she deliberately completely ineffectual when Rhumer was murdered - it looked like she was aware that something was about to happen? Or did she just think the Black guy was who Rhumer was meeting?

If Andy was associated with Rhumer's husband then why was she also watching over Will? Presumably David Haddis had something to do with this? But then why did she look so surprised when Will appeared on the scene?

The whole Andy thing was the weakest part of the finale.

Now that she's suddenly an assassin or whatever, if there's another season it's pretty clear it was written in for it to be revealed to Will at a later point and him to go off in a "you betreayed my trust etc" huff and straight into the arms of the infuriating Maggie (the only character I don't like in the series).

I don't think she was an assassin - why would Tom tell her to go to Andy's house if she was an assassin? I think Mormon uh... nailed it (sorry bro). She thought the black guy was the peron she wanted to meet. She spazzed out when Will appeared on the scene because she didn't want her cover blown with him as well. He still thinks of her as just the sexy neighbour with the crazy look in her eye.

My question about Andy is: if she's supposed to be looking over Will, where the fuck was she when Bloom was chilling in his apartment waiting to off him? Way to drop the ball.

I don't think she was an assassin - why would Tom tell her to go to Andy's house if she was an assassin? I think Mormon uh... nailed it (sorry bro). She thought the black guy was the peron she wanted to meet. She spazzed out when Will appeared on the scene because she didn't want her cover blown with him as well. He still thinks of her as just the sexy neighbour with the crazy look in her eye.

My question about Andy is: if she's supposed to be looking over Will, where the fuck was she when Bloom was chilling in his apartment waiting to off him? Way to drop the ball.

Seems likely to me if they add season they will be back rather than forward in time.
Cover David Haddis etc or perhaps further back to Spangler and his group of friends and their genesis.

Seems likely to me if they add season they will be back rather than forward in time.
Cover David Haddis etc or perhaps further back to Spangler and his group of friends and their genesis.
Holy shit, you're like some fuckin' TV savant or something. That would be amazing and totally solve the problem of it turning into a ludicrous parody of itself. Nice work!

Holy shit, you're like some fuckin' TV savant or something. That would be amazing and totally solve the problem of it turning into a ludicrous parody of itself. Nice work!

Personally I'd be inclined to move back to David Haddis' story, that way you get to keep Will, who is a very likeable character we are already invested in, in the show.

Can't really read this thread since I'm only four episodes in but just wanted to say how annoying that secretary woman's face is. Almost constantly long, surprised and fearful.

Can't really read this thread since I'm only four episodes in but just wanted to say how annoying that secretary woman's face is. Almost constantly long, surprised and fearful.

Twinsets and wool A line skirts give me the horn regardless of who's wearing them.
(you'd think I'd like Mad Men then....discussion for another day)

I think she's cute.

Finally had the time to watch this.
Really enjoyed it, very low key and smart (gotta love the grant morrison comics framed on the wall) with some excellent performances - I reckon it could have been a good three season (maximum) series without losing much steam.
Pretty fucking annoying that something this well written would be so under appreciated while 24 ran for a fucking decade. Ah well, at least the box set will be cheap and won't take up a lot of space.
So, in between seasons of Fringe, have now seen Game of Thrones and Rubicon - haven't watched weeds, breaking bad or justified yet - any of them worth a look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back