Roadburn 2008 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 591
  • Views 50K
  • Watchers 13
thats funny, well, not funny, more of a coincidence, hardly even a coincidence- I just downloaded My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment... yesterday, on the advice of darragh lynch.. ill have to give it a listen now..

Yes, my area, though, is in the emerging field of "Coincidental Science", it mostly involves afternoon and evening consumption of alchoholic beverage, and Johnny Blue, until everything makes sense, it's a subtle and exciting new field.

Fair enough. Harvey Milk were the swinging point for me. Probably be the only chance to see them live

They're not nazis.

steve ignorant never did anything with "death in june" / douglas p. he did vocals on early current 93 releases and live gigs, before douglas pearce was ever involved.

as much as douglas pearce and boyd rice would like to maintain a veener of ambiguity so that their fans can excuse their far-more-than dodgy output, the fact is that the death in june interest in far-right ideology and imagery is more than just "playing with" fascism. douglas pearce dedicated a death in june gig to the bloke who planted the nail bomb in a soho gay bar, and celebrates the night of broken glass in his song lyrics. boyd rice is a member of the american front, publicly pally with tom metzger, celebrates adolf hitler in one of his songs and uses a recording of a black woman being raped in one of his tracks.

i'm surprised how quickly defended these arseholes are.

steve ignorant never did anything with "death in june" / douglas p. he did vocals on early current 93 releases and live gigs, before douglas pearce was ever involved.

i'm surprised how quickly defended these arseholes are.

sorry my mistake

strange douglas. p going from anti-nazi crisis to going that way,

boyd rice from what i read is even worse, whats with the pro rape stuff?

boyd2003.jpg

boyd2003.jpg

yeah, the crisis -> death in june change is very weird. i dont know or understand how pearce and wakeford went from being in a left wing band to getting involved in far right politics.

boyd rice is openly misogynist in interviews and the like. for a long time i thought the misogyny / fascism in what he did what just an attempt to provoke controversy, as it is with so many "noise" bands, however it certainly goes deeper than that (definately the right-wing neo-nazi "social darwinism" stuff is sincere), and as for the misogynistic stuff, it doesnt seem like a joke, the mention of him in lisa carver's "drugs are nice" would support the notion that he is at the very least a fucked up creep.

it's a shame, i think he did some very interesting music under the NON title, but i always found the spoken word content extremely distasteful and objectionable. the last straw was hearing that album with rape recording of it, i was very pissed off with that, and the fact that i had previously spent money on his albums.

with death in june, yes, he may have a pleasant voice, and he doesnt use direct racial slurs, but he's far closer to skrewdriver than to scott walker. the lyrics to songs like "the november men", "hail the white grain", "europa the gates of heaven" and "the brown book" are really not ambigious in any way.

what gets me is the dishonesty of these people. they have maintained a fan base by hiding behind the possibilities that they are "taking the piss" (a common excuse for boyd rice's abhorent views) or are "playing with imagery" (commonest excuse for death in june's glorification of nazism). at least with burzum you know the guy behind the music is a nazi scumbag, but rice and pearce are too fucking concerned with having fans and selling records to at least own the fuck up. the signs are all there though. i say all this cos it would be nice to think that more people may avoid being conned, as i myself was. tony wakeford, to his credit, has admitted to, publicly renounced, and apologised for, his involvement with far-right groups in the past.

i should point out that current 93 as a group have nothing to do with any political system, as the involvement of individuals such as steven stapleton, steve ignorant and annie anxiety - all totally opposed to any form of fascism - can attest to.

yeah, the crisis -> death in june change is very weird. i dont know or understand how pearce and wakeford went from being in a left wing band to getting involved in far right politics.

boyd rice is openly misogynist in interviews and the like. for a long time i thought the misogyny / fascism in what he did what just an attempt to provoke controversy, as it is with so many "noise" bands, however it certainly goes deeper than that (definately the right-wing neo-nazi "social darwinism" stuff is sincere), and as for the misogynistic stuff, it doesnt seem like a joke, the mention of him in lisa carver's "drugs are nice" would support the notion that he is at the very least a fucked up creep.

it's a shame, i think he did some very interesting music under the NON title, but i always found the spoken word content extremely distasteful and objectionable. the last straw was hearing that album with rape recording of it, i was very pissed off with that, and the fact that i had previously spent money on his albums.

with death in june, yes, he may have a pleasant voice, and he doesnt use direct racial slurs, but he's far closer to skrewdriver than to scott walker. the lyrics to songs like "the november men", "hail the white grain", "europa the gates of heaven" and "the brown book" are really not ambigious in any way.

what gets me is the dishonesty of these people. they have maintained a fan base by hiding behind the possibilities that they are "taking the piss" (a common excuse for boyd rice's abhorent views) or are "playing with imagery" (commonest excuse for death in june's glorification of nazism). at least with burzum you know the guy behind the music is a nazi scumbag, but rice and pearce are too fucking concerned with having fans and selling records to at least own the fuck up. the signs are all there though. i say all this cos it would be nice to think that more people may avoid being conned, as i myself was. tony wakeford, to his credit, has admitted to, publicly renounced, and apologised for, his involvement with far-right groups in the past.

i should point out that current 93 as a group have nothing to do with any political system, as the involvement of individuals such as steven stapleton, steve ignorant and annie anxiety - all totally opposed to any form of fascism - can attest to.

Yeah, ya see, none of that ever would of happened if you just got into heavy metal like the rest of us!

:p

boyd2003.jpg

what pro-rape stuff.Like the tshirt?with the word "RAPE" on it?

tell us a bit more about the ould underground Nazi scene there boss.You seem to be a bit of an expert.Ever heard of that band Whitehouse?They beat up women.And they're paedos too. That Throbbing Gristle band?Weren't they nazis as well? Coil - they're that gay nazi band right?

current 93 are allowed dabble in manipulating ridiculous politics to their own end but other groups aren't cause they never had members of crass?
ah not gonna argue on it cause i'm perfectly happy continuing listening to that music and hold my own interpretation over what they're doing.
and old industrial is better than punk.
there, i said it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back