Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

I can KIND of see where Milan Panic is coming from with the sound affects, bit for some reason I've always kind of found the sound effects on Animals to be a little more cheesy for some reason. But hey, it's prog rock, cheese is expected.

I watched a video of PF live in vienna in 1977 this morning. It was fairly shite. It was a shite quality video anyway, there were only snippets of the songs and the footage was fairly rough. Snowy white was there widdling away on some song. One surprise was seeing roger playing electric guitar on Pigs (three different ones). He was doing the main jagged rhythm guitar parts. I always thought that guitar seemed very untypical of Gilmour, I guess its because waters played it. Theres no way he'd have been able to play the bass on that song anyway I'd say.

I've never heard any decent bootlegs of from the 74, 75 or 77 tours. There seems to be loads of good quality audio and video bootleg material from the period up to dark side and a serious lack of it afterwards. Perhaps its because they started playing mega venues then. It seems that they might have gone a bit shite live after Dark Side until the wall.

Yeah, but the difference is massive... it's like saying Crazy Train and Orange Crush are the same, because they both have guitar solos

I see your point in that sense. Dark Side's sound effects are way more up front, however, I consider them practically a musical theme of the record, to use loads of musique concréte sources in a really obvious way, like the coin sound chopped into a the 7/4 rhythm of the bass riff in money, or getting the people round Abbey Road to answer questions about themes of the record itself. Some of the spoken bits are absolutely hilarious.

There's no point in going further with this, you consider Dark Side of the Moon "barely even a record", just a load of sound effects and showy, tuneless, bloated 70s rock. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I see your point in that sense. Dark Side's sound effects are way more up front, however, I consider them practically a musical theme of the record, to use loads of musique concréte sources in a really obvious way, like the coin sound chopped into a the 7/4 rhythm of the bass riff in money, or getting the people round Abbey Road to answer questions about themes of the record itself. Some of the spoken bits are absolutely hilarious.

There's no point in going further with this, you consider Dark Side of the Moon "barely even a record", just a load of sound effects and showy, tuneless, bloated 70s rock. We'll have to agree to disagree.

:) It's great to debate FLOYD of all things... like I said, I totally am in the minority, and am actually a big floyd fan... and I'm not just being anti-popular... :)

Anyway, thanks for the debate... yay!

Most of the best singers aren't technically amazing anyway. That's a riduculous notion. How crap would Tom Waits be if he was "technically" great?

So were any of youz really offended by the Scissor Sisters version or were you above that kind of thing?

So were any of youz really offended by the Scissor Sisters version or were you above that kind of thing?

I remember Gerry Ryan playing it on his show one day. Someone obviously picked the songs for him. He interrupted it after 20 seconds saying, 'whats that shite? no, I'm not having that on my show'.

good old Gerry

The Scissor Sisters' version beats the Floyd version any day. I've heard bits of The Wall, lots of bits, and I think it's brutal. And Comfortably Numb.....ugh, so slow, overblown, boring....it's painful. And Floyd up to then are on of my faves.

He's a huge fan of Neil Young, is Roger Waters, incidentally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s6P2pkXpG0&feature=player_embedded#at=54

Hes a great singer ffs. He sounds as good here as in 1979 which isnt bad for a 60-something. Waters looks as excited as the crowd sound when gilmour appears on top of the wall.

Ooops he fucked up the lyrics!

Ah now i remember, pink floyds war obsessions are what put me off them. final cut/the wall in particular. great stuff while simultaneously not my cuppa berlin wall/thatcherism. the whole final cut not having one mention of the delorean is just silly. recordings are deadly though.

Ah now i remember, pink floyds war obsessions are what put me off them. final cut/the wall in particular. great stuff while simultaneously not my cuppa berlin wall/thatcherism. the whole final cut not having one mention of the delorean is just silly. recordings are deadly though.

Apart from the wall and the final cut they don't sing about war at all. well, there was that line "he was buried like a mole in a foxhole" in Free Four alright. Even on the wall its just kinda tacked on - bring the boys back home and vera. Waters gets a lot of stick for going on about his dad and the war but he didnt really do much of that.

Apart from the wall and the final cut they don't sing about war at all. well, there was that line "he was buried like a mole in a foxhole" in Free Four alright. Even on the wall its just kinda tacked on - bring the boys back home and vera. Waters gets a lot of stick for going on about his dad and the war but he didnt really do much of that.

probably my entire experience of floyd is similar to my potted knowledge of the beatles, i only hear my mates faves. i thought just the concept the wall was a berlin wall obsession, and they tour about erecting berlin walls in venues.

probably my entire experience of floyd is similar to my potted knowledge of the beatles, i only hear my mates faves. i thought just the concept the wall was a berlin wall obsession, and they tour about erecting berlin walls in venues.

Well, I think Roger lets it be about whatever he likes these days - various walls mostly. Initially it was a fictional/autobiographical thing about this lad who became famous, found himself disconnected from his life, surrounded by mindless armies of fanatical fans, went a bit mad and constructed a mental wall behind which he languished unhappily while all hell broke loose on the other side. All the marching fascist stuff is, I think, more about the legions of floyd fans who suddenly started coming to their gigs after dark side of the moon and wanted to get drunk and hear Money rather than listen to them play and less about The War. It all came to a head on the animals tour when Roger spat in a fans face at a gig. Somehow out of this came the idea of building a wall between band and audience and this developed into The Wall. He used bits of his own experiences, bits of Syds and some madey-uppy bits to pad it out, this is where the dad and the war come in. You can tell that the big bloated pompy music and all the oooh babe stuff is satire/pantomime as its all so out of keeping with the rest of their albums.

I was at it, i have to say it was spectacular. Really impressed. It worked really well. Not bad for a 67 year old too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back