new york (1 Viewer)

margin walker

hey, has anybody done any recoed shopping in nyc? just looking for any good places to pick up punk(rock) vinyl. thanks.

i lived in new york for few months a couple of years ago and got a nice few cds, but i can't really remember where the shops were except if you find St. Marks in the East Village or greenich village i think there is about 4 or 5 good shops on that street.

...not very helpful....

buck said:
i lived in new york for few months a couple of years ago and got a nice few cds, but i can't really remember where the shops were except if you find St. Marks in the East Village or greenich village i think there is about 4 or 5 good shops on that street.

...not very helpful....

Downtown around St Marks (shops like Kims) is exactly where you wanna go but Manhattan is expensive. If you are going to Boston on anywhere else save your bucks and buy there - you'll get MUCH better value for money.

mark winkelmann said:
Downtown around St Marks (shops like Kims) is exactly where you wanna go but Manhattan is expensive. If you are going to Boston on anywhere else save your bucks and buy there - you'll get MUCH better value for money.

Although Kim's is super-good.

Hi Mark! It's a pity you're not on here more often.

top of my head:
mondo kims (both)
other music
any of the million other shops within walking distance of these two

andrew

etherea / kims / A1 records are good.
defo check out the weekend markets. as far as i remember there is a good one that takes up a whole block corner, i think it was 29th st between 6/7 avenues. these are great for finding hard to get vinyl at really good prices.

margin walker said:
hey, has anybody done any recoed shopping in nyc? just looking for any good places to pick up punk(rock) vinyl. thanks.

I'm trying very hard not to be jealous.

There's a good thread around here somewhere about New York (from August last year I think) that I found really useful when I went in January.

Try and get to some gigs while you're there - I went to the Knitting Factory (Leonard Street in SoHo) and saw Panthers and Envy (crazy good Japanese band) on the same night. [Mission of Burma were playing the night before - so check the Village Voice online before you go.] Lovely people at the gig too - although we were the only people drinking! I've never been at such a quiet gig in my life, especially when you take into account the noise of the bands.

Ah, the memories...

thanks muchly for advice. can't wait to take advantage of americans and their weak yankee dollar. st. marks looks like the place to head to i guess. been looking for gigs aswell although there doesn't seem to be much on.

were malady and haram on that envy bill..?? any good?

margin walker said:
thanks muchly for advice. can't wait to take advantage of americans and their weak yankee dollar. st. marks looks like the place to head to i guess. been looking for gigs aswell although there doesn't seem to be much on.

This website seems decent enough for gig listings http://wnyu.nyu.edu/clubcal.shtml, scroll half way down and it gives a venue listing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back