Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (1 Viewer)

" Our stories are symmetrical in some respects: both of us embraced radical politics in our early twenties, me on the Left and Southern on the Right."

"...the simplifying, polarising incentives baked into the contemporary internet are increasingly warping the ideologies of both Left and Right into such extreme forms"

"They were married within four months: arguably the equivalent, for the Right, of my Left-wing embrace of communes, anti-capitalist demos and niche sexual subcultures."

"Southern simply shared the same blind spots as much of the mainstream Left and Right"

" a Right-wing gender ideology every bit as over-simplified, dematerialised, and radically disconnected from the complexities of life as the disembodied Left-wing version"

"perhaps like its Left-wing analogue, the extremely online nature of this gender ideology attracts a higher than usual proportion of individuals with existing psychological issues"

My point was that not once in the article does she actually say what the "left-wing" version (of the tradwife phenomenon? "Gender ideology"? Marrying a dickhead?) actually is. It's an almost completely unsupported assumption of "both sides are just as bad as the other, yeah?" and is left almost entirely up to the reader to just know what she actually means. I mean I don't know who the writer is but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there's an anti-trans agenda of some sort going on here. I don't actually care. What pisses me off is how it's framed as being the view from some kind of rational centre.

She probably wants you to read all her other essays to piece it together IMHO.
The thing i found interesting kinda is that the retired tradwifey is more or less at all the other same social media crap she was before australia (i checked because i had to) except tradwifing craic - otherwise she still is effectively the word cloud.

I do agree with you on that - for me it was having done a few days deep reading on it was obvious enough to me that the sentence after was probably referreing to the above.

The hard right types do keep trying to invent a hard left lately because they keep burning stuff and then trying to find the bogeyman after. that does bother me because i've seen it creeping into the lexicon a bit and even into people who should know better. I kinda had to steamroll someone almost twice my age in front of a lot of people not so long ago over it and eh, they should know better tbh.

this is something like a soft version of that?

I do think all told - the left is imperfect and there are things that are let slide that we (society) would probably get a better deal out of from not letting them slide for internet word cloud points.

A dog saved me from going on a date with somone who isn't in place to be going on dates, but it dind't have to own it.
This place could do with a cat in orbit somewhere. Rates ate my chainsaw oil.

Yeah, we came down to our living room recently one morning. The place was covered in feathers and there was a dead bird beside the couch

I’d like to clarify that it was the cat that did it

" Our stories are symmetrical in some respects: both of us embraced radical politics in our early twenties, me on the Left and Southern on the Right."

"...the simplifying, polarising incentives baked into the contemporary internet are increasingly warping the ideologies of both Left and Right into such extreme forms"

"They were married within four months: arguably the equivalent, for the Right, of my Left-wing embrace of communes, anti-capitalist demos and niche sexual subcultures."

"Southern simply shared the same blind spots as much of the mainstream Left and Right"

" a Right-wing gender ideology every bit as over-simplified, dematerialised, and radically disconnected from the complexities of life as the disembodied Left-wing version"

"perhaps like its Left-wing analogue, the extremely online nature of this gender ideology attracts a higher than usual proportion of individuals with existing psychological issues"

My point was that not once in the article does she actually say what the "left-wing" version (of the tradwife phenomenon? "Gender ideology"? Marrying a dickhead?) actually is. It's an almost completely unsupported assumption of "both sides are just as bad as the other, yeah?" and is left almost entirely up to the reader to just know what she actually means. I mean I don't know who the writer is but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there's an anti-trans agenda of some sort going on here. I don't actually care. What pisses me off is how it's framed as being the view from some kind of rational centre.
I dunno cos she doesn't say
It's everything else. Sleeping with whoever you want. Embody feminism by focusing on your career.
Get married and we-both-work, split all childcare and housework 50/50. A husband that talks about his feelings, and babysits, keeps the bathroom clean and picks up after himself. And keep looking for that guy cos you deserve it. Blah blah blah.
Presumably there's some prioritising orgasms, having practical abortions, open marriage, ENM stuff in there. Cos sex.
It's everything you hear/read left-wing married and unmarried women talk about when they discuss their lives. It's everywhere on the internet and elsewhere. Drivetime has had segment after gd segment on flippin' housework sharing.
I've chosen a non-traditional life, and I see it. It's the lives most of my married friends live.
If you're looking from the inside of a marriage out, it just looks like what everyone else would want.

None of it is bad. But it's what I would understand from that phrase she used.

It's just not what every woman or man wants.

I had to google ENM. Heh wow. Do real people really do this? Or just Californians?

It's common enough, I think.
People are never happy with their lot.
Women particularly.
Most people blame externalities.
So some article or lifestyle piece or whatever can often have the effect of "This is what's missing!"

Or that's my take anyways

IMHO it's the kind of thing that has to happen naturally, i've been in various things where people were all aware that people were seeing other people, but that's just like being single and either it worked for people or it didn't and everyone being kinda low commitment that was fine. I'm not sure it's something that should be formalised so to speak. I had one gf suggest it but i meant i'd have to get to know some dude or somethign and i wasn't down for that.

This is from a piece on global population decline, but it applies to this idea of differing attitudes to marriage and sexuality
We are, very broadly speaking, becoming more selfish as a species

Very generally, people on the right care about the classic family unit, those on the left want more individual rights

We are just about to drop below the replacement rate globally, so the left are winning?

1715623906171.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back