Minor complaints thread (17 Viewers)

the ignominy of trying the 'scan as you shop' system in tesco for the second time ever, and being selected for a random check - and discovering you'd forgotten to scan a packet of loo roll. we're going to be on tesco's system as loo roll thieves for ever onwards.

not having much luck in tesco at the moment...
Yeah but fuck em. Lean into it. I got followed by security around shops like a piece of filth loads of times. It's funny when you force it.

It’s not absolution to point out that no country or group of people is immune to it. That’s not to accept it but to be really careful that we don’t accept it. Murder has always happened, we don’t give people (unless they’re really rich) a pass on it.

The Brits don’t get a pass on it just because there has always been conquering and pillaging but if we start sniffing our own self-righteous farts and thinking we’re better than them because we didn’t do it in the past 800 years (not because we were immune to it but because we were under the yoke), then that’s just as delusional as them excusing themselves because it was “proper” to take Johnny Foreigner’s things away “for safekeeping”.
I dunno, man.
Who else do we do it for?
No one here is rushing in to contextualise other imperial genocides.
Very soft on the Brits up and their fucked up shenanigans in here altogether for my money.
Just an observation.

introducing historical context, saying one group of bastards aren't bastards purely because they happen to be born on a particular piece of rock, or have a miniscule piece of their genetic makeup different to the rest of humanity does not excuse their actions of bastardy.

I've agreed with you on many threads about the crimes of the british empire by the way, here (ireland) and elsewhere.
Point is that we're very softened to the English and their ways.

Yuval Harari reckons culture is the story we tell each other.
Every single day, we choose the stories the English tell themselves about themselves.
A lot of Ireland shops in English shops, follows English football teams, doggedly follow English politics, watch English TV stations, English TV shows, read English newspapers, watch English news, go to see English comedians, hear English voices on Irish radio advertisements and and all the rest of it. I mean it's almost neverending.
A lot of our choice of culture is that of a foreign country, a foreign culture.
Ireland is choosing every day to be more English. Like a dog that thinks it's people.

We'll jump down someone foreign's throat for asking if Ireland is in the UK, but culturally, we are desperately so.
We don't make the distinction ourselves in our daily lives.
To the point where Belfast seems more exotic to Dubs than London.

And all the while the English fuck us over hard on Brexit, the Legacy bill and could not give two single fucks about us in the micro or the macro.

I think it's hilarious that we have this glaring national blindspot about how very very English the country has become and it's almost never talked about.

I mean on the plus side, it might give the Unionists a little more comfort on a United Ireland, but fuck me, was it for this?

TL;DR Innit?

Point is that we're very softened to the English and their ways.

Yuval Harari reckons culture is the story we tell each other.
Every single day, we choose the stories the English tell themselves about themselves.
A lot of Ireland shops in English shops, follows English football teams, doggedly follow English politics, watch English TV stations, English TV shows, read English newspapers, watch English news, go to see English comedians, hear English voices on Irish radio advertisements and and all the rest of it. I mean it's almost neverending.
A lot of our choice of culture is that of a foreign country, a foreign culture.
Ireland is choosing every day to be more English. Like a dog that thinks it's people.

We'll jump down someone foreign's throat for asking if Ireland is in the UK, but culturally, we are desperately so.
We don't make the distinction ourselves in our daily lives.
To the point where Belfast seems more exotic to Dubs than London.

And all the while the English fuck us over hard on Brexit, the Legacy bill and could not give two single fucks about us in the micro or the macro.

I think it's hilarious that we have this glaring national blindspot about how very very English the country has become and it's almost never talked about.

I mean on the plus side, it might give the Unionists a little more comfort on a United Ireland, but fuck me, was it for this?

TL;DR Innit?

Agree with a lot of that more or less,
There’s a reactive anti Britishness in principle, but in practice we’ve increasingly absorbed their culture..

I don’t think it equates fully to the brits getting a free pass though

I don’t think it equates fully to the brits getting a free pass though
Not a free pass.
I think there's a part of us deep down, the part that we don't talk about at parties, that sees ourselves as slightly English or are at least very admiring of them, and this feeds into a defensive reaction when pricks like me criticise them.

But that's all speculation. And I don't know what parties anyone here goes to.

Obviously mine are all true Gael ragers.

I'm in Ireland right now, and other than language, you are way off. Like, way fucking off.
Well, my experience is mostly in Dublin, with some time in Kerry, so we may have different experiences

But I still see mostly English newspapers at every newsagent, Sky on in every pub, stories about English politics on Irish news. Tell me what's happening in France and Germany, countries I'm in a goddamn union with. But they put this shit on cos we care what happens in England and we don't care what happens in France. Cos deep down, we identify with the English. We see ourselves in them.

Case in point there was a puff piece on Brendan O'Connor this morning about Christmas #2 songs
And it's all about songs that made #2 in the UK, but they never say that once.
Just "the Christmas #1" and "the Christmas #2" - 'the' in this case is an unspoken 'English' - and the guest is talking about all the cultural shifts that affected this, Mr. Blobby novelty songs and X-Factor winners and so on, like we have any hand, act or part in it.
We don't.
But she's talking about it like it's some shared cultural experience.
It's not. It's something that happens in the UK. Their cultural shifts and mores and moods move their charts.
A couple times, she said as an aside that such and such a song got to #1 "in Ireland", which by tone you could tell meant this particular fact mattered about fuck all. What happens here doesn't matter, what happens in the UK does.
Treating a foreign cultural event as if it was our own.
Dogs thinking they're people as I said.
It was bizarre,
And it's everywhere.

I sincerely and genuinely hope you are having a good trip home and are surrounded by people who love you and show you so.
You're a good man.

Well, my experience is mostly in Dublin, with some time in Kerry, so we may have different experiences

But I still see mostly English newspapers at every newsagent, Sky on in every pub, stories about English politics on Irish news. Tell me what's happening in France and Germany, countries I'm in a goddamn union with. But they put this shit on cos we care what happens in England and we don't care what happens in France. Cos deep down, we identify with the English. We see ourselves in them.

Case in point there was a puff piece on Brendan O'Connor this morning about Christmas #2 songs
Just "the Christmas #1" and "the Christmas #2" - 'the' in this case is an unspoken 'English' - and the guest is talking about all the cultural shifts that affected this, Mr. Blobby novelty songs and X-Factor winners and so on, like we have any hand, act or part in it.
We don't.
It's not. It's something that happens in the UK. Their cultural shifts and mores and moods move their charts.
A couple times, she said as an aside that such and such a song got to #1 "in Ireland", which by tone you could tell meant this particular fact mattered about fuck all. What happens here doesn't matter, what happens in the UK does.
It was bizarre,
And it's everywhere.

I sincerely and genuinely hope you are having a good trip home and are surrounded by people who love you and show you so.
You're a good man.
I get most of that but...
a lot of stuff in Irish and UK charts is interchangeable.
(Non trad) Irish artists that are only popular in Ireland tend to be terrible. David Gray's career was finished until the Irish latched onto him.
Irish media has more mediocre standards in pop rock.

De Valera and those pricks used Irish independence to try and isolate the country from the outside world, i.e. non Irish culture - a terrible crime.

There is no reason for radio not to play music from across the world but the music business is racist.

Sky News has always been really UK / US orientated and is a waste of time.
Only really Al Jazeera reports the WORLD news of the 24 news channels.

I like English PL football but if someone thinks it's what the Situationists called 'the spectacle' and doesn't like football or pro sport or whatever, that is probably closer to reality.
The UK sports scene might be the last big cultural export they have.

El Tel was really English / Cockney in a way most Irish people find a bit annoying but you liked him.

Anglo American dominance of mass media here isn't good but indigenous media is small and too tolerant of mediocrity.

We need to look to rest of the world a lot more - same as any other wealthy English speaking country.

We don't.
It was bizarre,
And it's everywhere.

You're a good man.

I heard that same puff piece on the radio. Yee fancy jackeens up in Dublin need to buck up your ideas about cultural content. Not that I'd expect a mid morning radio show to be Avant Garde or whatever, but still. RTE needs to be less shit on that score.

Down here I watched Munster play some french team, Leinster played some other french team, the provincial club GAA was big news. That golf lad who sold out to the Saudis was news. Them swimming lads. Went to two golf award things.

There was a big trad sesh as well.

And yes, the EPL was there in the background the whole time, but no more than a side note for anyone here. Everyone cared far more about two villages in Ulster and two villages in Munster than they did about the big soccerball clubs where I actually work. We're in Connaught.

It's pretty hard to untangle what Irish culture is beyond the obvious bits - music, dance, language, art, literature, education, sports- tweed and smallholding aren't really easy to fit into the modern world like the would have been. I'm probably missing a lot.

My skewed view on it is stuff that came with the celtic culture is a lot of what we identify with and what is considered british sits somewhere between the roman era and the anglo saxon stuff. Celtic being more a vibe that people enjoyed where the other two where hell bent on empirical expansions.... The synod of whitby probably being a big node on how much of that could be retained going forward.

At present as much as I dislike the actions of the english government I've got no beef with english people other than a kinda sympathy for the deep set caste system they operate in.

The most prevalent coloniser of anywhere at present is capitalism - Just like all the other western nations we go to near identical shops/websites and select from a thin seam of near identical products and consume a thin seam of near identical media. Speaking a bit of Irish, going to the trad sets and enjoying celtic art is pretty much my own only interruptions in that that make me in any way identifiably different from a lot of the western world. We all know what a cybertruck is if if we may never get a chance to get maimed by one.

Further thoughts would be how traditionally Dublin and Liverpool had a huge connection through shipping, as did ulster and scotland, the west and the iberian peninsula and the wexico's and the french.

London seems to be a bit player now, I'd guess australia, the americas and mainland europe are the major interactives now.

1702291542801.png

a 737 has about 180 seats -

that's 23000 people a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
    Anseo
    18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
    Vicar Street
    58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back