Minidisc microphones (1 Viewer)

outoftheblue

Website
Visit site
hi,

i know i should just invest in better equipments but ..

i have this minidisc and a (fairly) expensive stereo mic for it, and an extension cable so's it doesnt pick up the minidiscs hisses&fits.. it picks up a whole lot of background noise though, and i was wondering if there's any magicks to help reduce that. do i just need to find a "deader" room? or is there anything in Vegas/SoundForge/whatever that can reduce hiss post-recording?

thanks, and apologies if is v silly question am novice to this homerecording business

dave

By background noise do you mean stuff like cars driving by and echoes in the room, or hiss? For the former you need to do something to your room, the latter is probably electronic noise from the minidisc player itself

I did the same thing with my posh stereo mike... not into a minidisc, but into a camcorder... got the extention lead to avoid picking up the whir from the camera... turns out the nasty hiss shit was from the use of the extention lead, plug the mike direct and grand sound... may i suggest you run the mike lead under d door and leave the minidisc outside the room... simplest ideads are usealy the best...

ino

Sometimes the hiss can be due to the fact that the input level of the mic is pretty low, so you need raise the recording level by boosting the internal pre-amp.

Probably, if you had a stronger signal, you could use a lower mic input level and get rid of the noise. You can try use a small mic amplifier (you can find a lot of cheap ones on www.thomann.de)

Alex said:
Sometimes the hiss can be due to the fact that the input level of the mic is pretty low, so you need raise the recording level by boosting the internal pre-amp
... and your internal pre-amp is hissy-sounding when it's turned up. Like Alex says, you can get external pre-amps, but more signal (i.e. turn up whatever it is you're recording, or put the mic closer) is the easiest solution
Hiss caused by an extension lead can be eased by using a balanced lead - that's one of them one with the roundy plug with three pins inside it (AKA xlr or cannon) rather than your usual jack plug

egg_ said:
... and your internal pre-amp is hissy-sounding when it's turned up. Like Alex says, you can get external pre-amps, but more signal (i.e. turn up whatever it is you're recording, or put the mic closer) is the easiest solution
Hiss caused by an extension lead can be eased by using a balanced lead - that's one of them one with the roundy plug with three pins inside it (AKA xlr or cannon) rather than your usual jack plug
You can also use a DI box to boost the signal (mind it must be active, with a battery inside), it would cost you just about €40 + a few quid for the leads. Also, I never saw any but Dubh told me there are balanced jack leads.

interesting...

god egg, your good

thats

deadly, yis are all real nice (albeit in a cool indie sorta way)(of course)

will go see if aught of that works (i'm pretty sure the hiss must be from the electronics, cos the room i was working in sounded perfectly quiet to me)

thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back