Meeting People (1 Viewer)

Nice! What's Athens like, always wanted to go there.

great town. i was there in summer '91 so the student presence was minimal (i think the population more than doubles during term time). great gigs almost every night, great record shops (hung out in wuxtry mostly) and i was mainly hanging out with a group that was at least 10+ years older than me, so had my eyes opened on a few levels (effectively dope, guns and... y'know). would love to go back someday.

ETA: i was 17 and on my first solo trip overseas, just before 6th year.

Last edited:
This should probably go in the Official Thumped Pick Up Artist Thread in the supporters forum but sure:

Attention, men: don’t be a creepy dude who pesters women in coffee shops and on the subway | Lindy West | Comment is free | The Guardian

while we're at it

Robinson’s tips for meeting women on the subway:

• Don’t ever try during rush hour.
  • Always carry a loaded MetroCard; pay for her ride if she’s fumbling at the turnstile.
  • Always war a suit and carry a briefcase — it communicates strength and security, even if you live with your mom.
  • Ask where she’s from; if she’s from NYC or somewhere local, just say, “I thought you were French.”
  • Limit the chitchat — once she’s engaged and you’ve developed some dialogue (1 to 2 minutes), say, “I’d love to visit with you longer…but my stop is approaching…do you have e-mail?” Once you get the number or e-mail, get off, even if it’s not your stop. Leave her wanting more.
  • Wait 60 hours before contacting her. Most men text/e-mail immediately. Throw her off, make her wait.

Mike: So how long do I wait to call?

Trent: A day.

Mike: Tomorrow.

Sue: Tomorrow, then a day.

Trent: Yeah.

Mike: So two days?

Trent: Yeah, I guess you could call it that, two days.

Sue: Definitely, two days is like industry standard.

Trent: You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?

Sue: Yeah, but two's enough not to look anxious.

Trent: Yeah, two's enough not to look anxious. But I think three days is kind of money. You know because you...

Mike: Yeah, but you know what, mabey I'll wait 3 weeks. How's that? And tell her I was cleaning out my wallet and I just happened to run into her number.

Charles: Then ask her where you met her.

Mike: Yeah, I'll ask her where I met her. I don't remember. What does she look like? And then I'll asked if we fucked. Is that... would that be... T, would that be the money?

Trent: You know what. Ha ha ha Mike, laugh all you want but if you call too soon you might scare off a nice baby who's ready to party.

Mike: Well how long are you guys gonna wait to call your babies?

Trent, Sue: Six days.

This should probably go in the Official Thumped Pick Up Artist Thread in the supporters forum but sure:

Attention, men: don’t be a creepy dude who pesters women in coffee shops and on the subway | Lindy West | Comment is free | The Guardian

while we're at it
That is an incredibly whinnying Guardian piece. Is women's time somehow more precious than men's? I'm way too shy to approach women publicly as she describes but I've frequently been told (by women) that that sort of confidence can be attractive. I have, however, been on the receiving end and neither assumed, like this bint, that the person in question was hitting on me nor whined about it afterwards.

Also, Starbucks?? Hand in your card love, surely places like that are tailor made for phonies to go size each other up.

That is an incredibly whinnying Guardian piece. Is women's time somehow more precious than men's? I'm way too shy to approach women publicly as she describes but I've frequently been told (by women) that that sort of confidence can be attractive. I have, however, been on the receiving end and neither assumed, like this bint, that the person in question was hitting on me nor whined about it afterwards.

Also, Starbucks?? Hand in your card love, surely places like that are tailor made for phonies to go size each other up.

Women should be able to get on the goddamn bus or go for a coffee without being hit on.
I'm guessing, but the confidence a lot of women are looking for is not waiting til we've had 5 pints before having the stones to approach her in a bar.

Starbucks seem to have nice coffee. And buns.

I'm convinced that in some way someone somewhere has written an article about how every single thing i do from the second I wake till the second I fall asleep is in some way misogynistic or predatory because I am male. It wouldn't make me any less of a feminist, more i'm pointing out that internet as yet, has not been edited for bias.

I have, however, been on the receiving end and neither assumed, like this bint, that the person in question was hitting on me nor whined about it afterwards.

It's not the same for women. For many it's a constant.
Men staring at their tits, the creepy uncle that hugs too long, being told to smile.
A married friend of mine in IT who always has to leave work do's early because after the first shots is where the guys all start getting handsy and telling her how much they really really like working with her.

Women have non-verbal ways of telling us to fuck off. We're often just too stupid to pick up on them

I'm convinced that in some way someone somewhere has written an article about how every single thing i do from the second I wake till the second I fall asleep is in some way misogynistic or predatory because I am male. It wouldn't make me any less of a feminist, more i'm pointing out that internet as yet, has not been edited for bias.

Unless you hit on women in coffee shops that want to be left alone, this article is not about you.
It's about your sister, or your female cousin, that was having a good day til she made the mistake of buying a goddamn coffee.

Unless you hit on women in coffee shops that want to be left alone, this article is not about you.
It's about your sister, or your female cousin, that was having a good day til she made the mistake of buying a goddamn coffee.

Can't remember which comedian, but there is a great sketch out there somewhere about how approaching a woman shitfaced is acceptable in Ireland, while doing the same while sober means you are obviously mental and should be branded a creep. Also it is actually legal to tell someone to go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back