Maynooth (3 Viewers)

Did you go to Maynooth College/University/"actually, I think you'll find it's NUIM"?

• Total voters
in my last year out there,place is fucking nuts,think either 2 or 3 people had alcohol related deaths during rag week last year....falling in the canal and shit...mental.
or finding two strangers having sex on the kitchen floor of a friends apartment..good buzz out there it is

I was in the Sports Center there a few years back competing in a Leinster Judo championship.

During my unstoppable path to the gold I sent a kid (well, I'd say he'd just turned 18) to the hospital to be checked out.
Killing_Machine.png

I tried fencing once. It's tough on the groin, all that lunging. There's actually some fencing gear up in college beside the tae kwon do stuff. No one seems to be using it, and there's no fencing club afaik........hmmmm...............

how did you get on?

Fencing is something I would probably have liked. Never got round to doing anything about it.

Pretty well, 4th or something in the women's competition and 14th overall. There were a few olympic team members there. My highlight of the day was beating the US champion (male)

Ace! I was going to take up fencing a while ago. What type did you do?

épée, foil previously though. I'd love to get back into it.

I tried fencing once. It's tough on the groin, all that lunging.

The importance of stretching and warming up properly cannot be over-stated!

English & History 2000-2003
HDipIT 2005

Hey Billy how'd you get a job out of that IT course?after going back to improve my career prospects i am once again unemployed:confused:

in my last year out there,place is fucking nuts,think either 2 or 3 people had alcohol related deaths during rag week last year....falling in the canal and shit...mental.
or finding two strangers having sex on the kitchen floor of a friends apartment..good buzz out there it is

yea in my final year there was this guy who was having a piss into the canal, locked and fell in.was found dead with his pants around his ankles.bad

I booked the comedian frank sidebottom to play the maynooth end of year ball about 12 years ago. messy stuff

i was there for that (studied there from 93-97 myself)...i had consigned frank it to a small dark room in my memory box until now.

musical highlights for me include

-getting Tension to come down for a bar-ex. they were great ! (I still have the poster at home)
-liquid wheel starting their set and within 2 minutes of having started their
dat machine breaking down signalling end of said set
-dr. and the medics NOT playing spirit in the sky
- sultans of ping
- whipping boy

lookign back, there were some great gigs down there. and the students union had some great sound/lighting gear.

i was there for that (studied there from 93-97 myself)...i had consigned frank it to a small dark room in my memory box until now.

musical highlights for me include

-getting Tension to come down for a bar-ex. they were great ! (I still have the poster at home)
-liquid wheel starting their set and within 2 minutes of having started their
dat machine breaking down signalling end of said set
-dr. and the medics NOT playing spirit in the sky
- sultans of ping
- whipping boy

lookign back, there were some great gigs down there. and the students union had some great sound/lighting gear.
tell that to the limiter!!!!
lights are also broken. have been for a year or so.
im actually posting this from the Ents office. funny.

I have said it before and will say it again.

The best thing about Maynooth is the entrance to the Graveyard.

c-10_2.jpg

In fact it's probably the best thing about Ireland.

BA English/Anthropology 2002-2005

HDipIT 2005

Hey Billy how'd you get a job out of that IT course?after going back to improve my career prospects i am once again unemployed:confused:

I did the DipIT with Billy... and then just kept at it, and did a Masters in computer science. I even taught the Dip courses the next year.
I wrote some software during the masters, which got me a few invites out to the US, and I have been working as a research programmer in NYU ever since.

There seem to be few enough jobs available with tjust the Dip nowadays.
Sorry pal.

yea, the bubble has burst.2-3 years experience needed.if i hear that or see that sentence written again i think i'll scream.didn't go on and do the masters coz i figured i better go get some of that experience, tis not going too well though

HDipIT 2005

It's an odd one that...

I worked in AIB for a year before doing the course and managed to get a business-related job straight after college.
I was working in a call-centre type thing for about six months and after I designed some web stuff for them, they put me in to a reporting/database type thingy.
Then went and joined another department where I was started working with Data Warehouses and reporing software. Then I buggered off to London where I am now.
I'm kind of 10% IT, 10% business and 80% bullshit.

You'll be grand. Just learn Hindi.

I competed in the Irish Open Fencing Championship there in 1994 or 1995.

Other than that...

I tried fencing when in Maynooth. It's lots of fun. Should have stuck with it.

Flashback - you bender - remember unihoc? Best game ever!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back